Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my first Club Race last weekend at....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drove my first Club Race last weekend at....

...Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The most interesting change from DE's and Time Trials is how quickly everyone forgets the line. My first race was a 64 car, 1 hour 20 minute Enduro in which I qualified 32nd. Not all that different from LA freeways at rush hour, perhaps a bit more courtesy on the track. 3-car abreast turns area always interesting, especially with gators on the inside of the track....I intended to relax and just finish in one piece, but after the first car blasted by me I was off and finished 18th. Chris Cervelli, who won, and his partner car only lapped me once I'm proud to say (though they did go by awfully quickly)....

I also learned the pitfalls running on empty as I missed my weight by 40 lbs with only a seat replacement. I had to start the 2 sprint races Sunday from the back of 32 cars, I finshed 12th and 7th and won the "Rookie of the Weekend" award which included a $500. gift certificate for tires!

What a great experience and I want to thank all the racers who offered me inspiration and advise all weekend. To anyone considering moving up to Club racing all I can say is what the hell are you waiting for??? Now of course I'm planning my life around the next race in Portland....
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

JR

You seem to have had a blast, congratulations, that result is really great. So you got a chance to "feel" Chris passing by you what car is he driving?

What do you think about your suspension, what settings did you have dialled?
Thanks for sharing.

Any pics?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jean
So you got a chance to "feel" Chris passing by you what car is he driving?What do you think about your suspension, what settings did you have dialled?
Yea Chris and his sponsor's car rocked. He's a nice guy too talking to me about MPSC's and optimum pressures....I don't know if they were driving identical cup cars, or euro gt3's, all I know is they were the fastest cars out there and they took turns at speeds that would have sent me into Hoover Dam....

My suspension is 500/1000 lb springs w/matching tenders over revalved-to-match PSS9's set 3/4 soft up front, the rears in the middle. I have TRG sway bars set full soft up front, and the middle hole in the rear. I have ERP monoball/camber plates set to 3 degrees neg. camber up front, and 2.5 rear. All this is driving 9-1/2 front, 11-1/2 rear BBS Magnesium centers pushed out as far as possible and shod with 265/315 MPSC's. Unfortunately I'm still 3300lbs and all wheel drive....sort of like trying to turn the QE3....
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Way to go JR. Looking forward to my first track/DE experience in a couple weeks. Need to figure out what kind of helmet and harness I need yet though. Sounds like from the mods you've made you are really into it.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Acropora
Way to go JR. Looking forward to my first track/DE experience in a couple weeks. Need to figure out what kind of helmet and harness I need yet though. Sounds like from the mods you've made you are really into it.
Well don't skimp on the helmet. I use a Bell M3, make sure you try on various helmets for fit. I dont think you need the harness for DE's...BTW, your stock seats will accomodate a harness if you use a Halo Device to hold the straps on your shoulders. It will require drilling the tunnel for the inboard bolt, and the floor for the sub belt or belts. Again, I believe the only safety item required for DE's is the helmet, but check with your local PCA chapter.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:51 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jrgordonsenior, it is nice to read this post. I hope to be following a similar path by next year. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

Quick Reply: Drove my first Club Race last weekend at....