Viken is gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Viken is gone

I hope the next moderator is as genuine, and has no commercial benefit from Rennlist whatsoever to ensure true advice is given.

Viken, E.J., DJ and the rest, thanks for all these years of genuine help.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:01 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thier departure is truly a sad event
Old 05-06-2005, 08:44 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the main brawl. Did Viken leave because the recent in-fighting?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

---i was still hopin' viken was still w/ the list.... damn the "keeper of the truth" sorry to hear.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
...Did Viken leave because the recent in-fighting?
Hmmm – I wasn’t going to reply in this post – but I guess I will. If Viken wants to interject his own comments, I think he will, too – as that’s his prerogative and his right, and I’d never speak for him. For that – you have to understand that Viken and I go way back – if you guessed early 1998 as a timeframe, you’d be right. Back before I announced the PorscheList web forums, to be sure, which occurred a short time-frame after. In fact – if you look at “User IDs” on this Forum – you notice while I was setting them up – my ADMIN account is User ID #1 and Viken’s is #2. Yes – Viken was, is – and is still today a pivotal point in Rennlist, its development – and community.

And much of what you see here – those same attributes – are to his credit. Certainly not mine. Not Jen’s. Not anyone else.

As time moves on. As we grow, as the site becomes more demanding. As our personal time becomes less of a commodity and more of a treasure – so to, do our priorities. I know that is true for me, and I think it’s true of Viken and some of the “old guard” that has been chastised in this same Forum for leaving. But, in retrospect – I know – that those folks care as much as you do who are reading this thread.

Recently – I had a communication regarding the events on the 993 Forum (I haven’t posted this note there yet) and had some time to give some thought as to my reply. The original communication was somewhat terse – but well intentioned – as I received it, but in no way lessened my reaction.

In short – here are snippets of my reply….

You have to understand that without Viken - Rennlist would have probably withered and died long ago. Viken, and folks like Viken - that you off-handedly refer to as the "Old Crew" is what Rennlist grew from and out of - and today, much of that legacy is passed on - in spite of Rennlists size and diversity. In point of fact - Viken was the first to assist me in many migrations of the technical format. He espoused the "Rennlist Spirit" far more then I could myself. He worked day-to-day to develop what we call that same community. And yet - for all his support, enthusiasm and knowledge he so freely shared - he never asked for a single thing in return. Never. Ever. Not once. He worked on the site as if it were his own - and yet, reaped none of the rewards except to know that he was helping other Porsche enthusiasts, Jen and myself.

On a personal level, Viken was - and is today - perhaps the most loyal Rennlister ever to jen and myself. He protected what we had, and took action on behalf of Jen and I in what he thought and believed was in our interest - not in his personal interest. His loyalty, knowledge and support in the recent past has gone largely ignored by many - and I think I am at fault there. So, if you have a difference with Viken, then that is through a fault of mine - rather than his, by not communicating effectively with him what I wanted with the site..

And finally – the “Old Guard” is what Rennlist is founded on – both by principle and legacy. And for me – John D. – is part of that “Old Guard”, as I put up PorscheList way back in May of 1998. So without “them” – there wouldn’t be a “we” as Rennlist is known today.

As for today – the “we” is 250,000+ site visitors a day. The “we” is worldwide. The “we” is a mix and match of race, color, ethnicities, language, backgrounds, families, religions, races and diverse creeds. In fact - there is but one single common bond shared amongst us:

We are all Porsche Enthusiasts who share this slice of an internet Community we tacitly refer to as “Rennlist”….

That is all there is.

There is no more.

In my view – it’s a fragile single strand, but a strand that is resilient, accommodating and welcoming to new comers and the “Old Guard” alike.

Best to you,

John D.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Viken is certainly one of the handful of person's comments I always found very informative reading through the archives on various issues. Infact, I'll say Viken was in the top three...so, I feel like 33% of my appreciation to this great community is currently gone...hope it will be filled by an equally helpful newcomer.
Jeeva
Old 05-07-2005, 12:10 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my differences with Viken, but I never failed to read one of his posts because he was a walking encylopedia of all things Porsche. Despite my personal feelings, I've always had respect for his opinions. His input will be missed. Sorry to see him and the others go.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:51 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wisest, oldest Guard (in Rennlist years!) told me that Rennlist will continue to prosper and grow because of the passionate people who come to this wonderful site. Will someone replace Viken? No, but that is more a testament to Viken's tireless contributions, dedication and knowledge, more than anything else. However, there will be others whose contributions will be equal in value, perhaps not in the same way, but equally valuable to Rennlist, nonetheless.

I want to thank Viken as well. I could not imagine the hours and dedication necessary to be a moderator who has to basically read every word of every post of every thread, read every PM and email and put up with all the complaints and issue that any group of people are bound to have.

Is this a changing of the guard? I don't think so. It's merely a "speed bump" on the Rennlist road. Let's all slow down so we don't do too much damage and come up smelling like a rose on the other side!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:13 AM
tlark
Drifting

Well stated and I agree with the above post. I mentioned on the 993 board that someone out there can and will take up the slack for those that have left at some point and the "speed bump" will pass. As a new guy I don't know any of you personally but respect those that certainly display the knowledge attained over years and them freely sharing it. "Old Gaurd" I just wasn't familar with them like others from the west coast or other areas that know them more personally than I. As for Viken, that is a loss, I too read his posts, more so about tires of late and it was appearant he knew more about tires than some tire reps and I based my choice on most of his reccomendations. The last post I traded with him I told hime the steak was on me at the run-offs next year if he came.

The offer still stands Viken.......
Old 05-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

John

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Viken.

He has done so much to help make this place what it is, and has done so much to help so many people, myself included.

I think some of our 993 bretheren would do well to hear your thoughts.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was not going to post either, but I just realized from the last few posts what an impact Viken has had on me as well. I am not trying to be sappy, just relaying true honest to God feelings. So if you feel like making a snide comment, zip it and move onto the next post.

Viken helped me when I was trying to decide on my first set of tires which he helped me make a wise decision.

He next helped me figure out the differences between the US and the euro TT bumper set, to which I promptly changed to the latter.

He also helped me when it came time to figure out ride height with spring choices.

Then he helped me with choosing between PSS9's and HD's based on my needs. Also a good decision (sounds like a Sam Adams commercial, right?).

More importantly, he helped me figure out wheel offset, a real bitch.

Then he helped me figure out that HRE had indeed misjudged my offset and I used Viken's original post to me to prove to them that they were wrong which promptly got my wheels fixed (HRE reacted with the utmost in class and took care of me).

He then helped me figure out the type of tires I wanted on my new rims.

I guess I really had not planned on it, but I want to personally thank Viken for his years of online friendship, his expertise and his comraderie. One of the things that keeps us excited as Porsche owners is constantly thinking about what to do next to our baby that makes it just that much more special. If Viken, had not been around I feel some of the expertise I relied on would not have been there and my experience as a 993 owner would have been less grand as a result. So thank you Viken and god bless, regardless of all this other crap. I wish you the best.

One more thought: Robin Sun was a MAJOR, MAJOR contributor to this board and left under much different circumstances. The board has continued on without him as it will without Viken if he does not return. But that point is the thorn in the side, if you will, beacause Viken will be sorely missed now as Robin has been ever since he left. The newer members might not know Robin, so you can go on to the next post, but he was special as Viken is as well. I have logged on to the board hundreds of times in the last couple of years and thought about Robin countless times as someone's post or comment reminds me of him. I even e-mailed Viken a month or two ago asking about him. I guess I will now have those same memories about Viken.

A loss for the board? Without question.
Will the boards go on? Without question.
Will they be the same? Never.
Such is life on a board with conflicts of opinions, egos and motives.

I will still be here as this is one of my true passions and love this board as a community and a resource. But I will miss these guys and some of the others who have left.

Good luck Viken, and you are always welcome here if you ever see fit to come around again. Reminds me of an old addage, "Don't know what you got, until it's gone".
Old 05-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Robert

a wonderful tribute.

Thanks.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to quote your entire post elsewhere.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By all means. please do. My fingers won't type much more. :-)
Old 05-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 201 Posts

I third (fourth,fifth?) these thoughts regarding Viken.

I too wasnt going to post. I made the mistake of gettting involved in something - i so obviously - know nothing about.

I have been lurking on the 993 board for a while - and have tried to even contribute - mainly due to the fact that I just cant get enough of this place..... the knowledge, the people, the stories - all represent HEAVEN for me. I cant tell you how much I READ on here - and the only reason I strayed over there is that there always seems to be something happening over......

I am new - yes - but i can tell when a loss is a REAL LOSS.

Just my $0.02 about how much i love this place.....

OFE - you changed your avatar - it is IMHO one of the BEST photos of a 993TT ever........

Simon
Old 05-07-2005, 04:41 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Viken gone? Now that came as a shock.

Viken, best of luck in whatever you do.

Quick Reply: Viken is gone