Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does the 996 TT trade below the same mileage 993 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
jasper996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When does the 996 TT trade below the same mileage 993 TT?

I bet we are close for prices to get inverted......

Check out the Buy it Now price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...543031889&rd=1
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder when the 996tt becomes a better value? At what price?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At about the same time you can put "Antique" Plates on your car!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i think the answer is about now, or in a few months. And certainly when the 997 TT is out.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I wonder when the 996tt becomes a better value? At what price?
Good point.

I always love it when someone uses one of these cars as a example for representative pricing or values. Its doesn't mean anything.

This twin is no different than someone saying he's seen 993tts go in the $50's. They just didn't tell you the car had issues i.e. High mileage, salvage title or a cat used the car as a litter box. Get real............
Old 04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Good point.

I always love it when someone uses one of these cars as a example for representative pricing or values. Its doesn't mean anything.

This twin is no different than someone saying he's seen 993tts go in the $50's. They just didn't tell you the car had issues i.e. High mileage, salvage title or a cat used the car as a litter box. Get real............

I beg to differ.....this thread isn't about the car on EBAY, or about mileage or shape which could represent a lower or higher price. I believe the first post was in reference to the huge depreciation that all the 996tts have gone through in such a short period of their exsistence. Although I like the air cooled cars better, I believe that Porsche has refined the car every year. I don't care about a specific car, but I do care about buying a car and trying to resale it a couple of months later and loosing my butt!!. I think the 993tt market is higher only because of the lower number produced and the 996tt are lower in price or have depreciated more because of the higher production numbers. But I will say it again in a way you can understand........

If all things are equal, there will be a time when the 996tt becomes a value over the 993tt.

Sure we can debate if one car is better than the other, but there is a point when you would foolish to spend a premium for an older car, unless that car was something very rare.

I'm sure if your cat is using your car as a litter box, your price would stink!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That car has been on eBay before and didnt meet its reserve. Seems like a decent price for that car but with the new water TT's and higher miles, it seems like it is going to scare off those potential buyers. This is different to the air cooled high mileage TT's. The buyers in this category seem to be more willing to go with a car with higher miles. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I beg to differ.....this thread isn't about the car on EBAY, or about mileage or shape which could represent a lower or higher price. I believe the first post was in reference to the huge depreciation that all the 996tts have gone through in such a short period of their exsistence.
Before you get you shorts in a bind maybe you should read the first post again and read my first sentence "good point". That means maybe the 996tt will be a better value than a 993tt like you stated. I happen to agree w/your statement and now you have went off on some tangent.

The first post refrenced the "buy it now price" did it not ?

I have no idea how you can interpet what I said about someone losing there butt at resale or production #'s of w/c opposed to a/c cars, then you use the phrase.

"let me explain in a way you can understand.........."

nice!!!!! Next time don't forget to use cap locks and insult my wife why don't ya........

Although I like the air cooled cars better, I believe that Porsche has refined the car every year. I don't care about a specific car, but I do care about buying a car and trying to resale it a couple of months later and loosing my butt!!. I think the 993tt market is higher only because of the lower number produced and the 996tt are lower in price or have depreciated more because of the higher production numbers. But I will say it again in a way you can understand........

If all things are equal, there will be a time when the 996tt becomes a value over the 993tt.

Sure we can debate if one car is better than the other, but there is a point when you would foolish to spend a premium for an older car, unless that car was something very rare.

I'm sure if your cat is using your car as a litter box, your price would stink!

Simply put, using the ebay car or other example that I described doesn't give you a good refrence point for inverted pricing which was the topic of the thread. You took it farther than that................hope you feel better.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy here we go. Mentioning someones wife...haha I thought this board was above this kind of posting. If I want this I will go over to the Audi World S4 board or maybe the VW GTI board....
I think that due to the large numbers of 996TT's out there they are going to have a sharper decline in price as we are seeing. Not to mention that a lot of Porschephiles didnt like the 996 look it seemed. So if a non-Poschephile wants a TT, it becomes more of a normal car purchase rather than all the effort we go through to make sure that the PPI comes back clean. Hell, I bet a lot of people who buy the 996 either buy them off a dealers lot or if they are purchased from a Private party the car isnt even run through with a PPI.

Who knows, I dont care. I do know that the 993TT has held up pretty well over the years. But...there is a TT on eBay right now with those high miles that you could buy for 44K. If you use that as the 993TT price example, they are falling like stones!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:31 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retail numbers mean jack sh*t on less than ten year old cars. Drive to a Porsche dealership and ask them for how much they would buy your car right now , no trade and no new car purchase and whatever number you get is the true market value. Some of you guys would be in for a rude awakening what their coveted 993tt / 996tt are worth.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
Retail numbers mean jack sh*t on less than ten year old cars. Drive to a Porsche dealership and ask them for how much they would buy your car right now , no trade and no new car purchase and whatever number you get is the true market value. Some of you guys would be in for a rude awakening what their coveted 993tt / 996tt are worth.
That's a wholesale price. Apples and oranges.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:44 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is my point , in case of a emergency you can rely on those numbers, not some vanilla sky internet forum " wishful money ".
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

All i know is our car prices are dropping pretty fast. i think with 997s out there claiming 0-60 at 3.9 it would make more sense to spend a little more and get speed and warranty. There's only a handful who lust after this 10 year old cars and the numbers are getting smaller...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

but if you have a nice condition 993tt and call RPM or Wilhoit, im willing to bet they will show you a higher bid for your car than the same 996tt car. So, i think there is better liquidity in our cars than there is for a 996tt .. probably due to supply.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:36 AM
wunderkap
Track Day

Default The biggert picture is Long Term

My cousin is a High Line car dealer and he says the cash these dealers are making on used exotic cars including the 993tt is insane. They will make $500-1000 above dealer invoice to sell a new Lexus or 911 but make $10, 15 to 30K selling a clean 993tt or Turbo S. And most only look so clean as result of the dealer detailing.

If you look at the latest issue of Excellence Magazine you will see the trend on older P cars. My old 1973 911s has gone up 40% in the last 3 years from $16K to $22.2K. Grant it that is excellent condition.
Even better is in the April 2005 issue, the 1995 944 S2/ 968's have stopped depreciating in 2003 and went up like 10% for 2004. So it started its Vintage upswing in actual resale prices after being only 9 years old.
Nine years, lets see....1996 933tt.
If your on this Forum I don't have to tell you how desirable these cars are. I am a Porschefile and I believe the 993tt is the epitome of the 911 classic going back to 1964. As a collector, I would suggest hold on to these cars.
just my two cents.

Quick Reply: When does the 996 TT trade below the same mileage 993 TT?