Sponsored by:

Power Loss on Track ....Then Stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Loss on Track ....Then Stalling?

Hi Gang
I had 3 days at VIR last weekend and 2 days at Pocono this weekend and I something going on with the car. I tried a search and found a few possibilities but all of the symptoms did not match.
Car: 1996 TT with 53K miles and Fabspeed muffler bypasses. As far as I know (I have owned for 1+year) the car has original ecu and turbos. New synchros 2004. New clutch 2004. PSS-9. Pilot sport cups.

Setting: 45-65 degrees. Full Sun. No gas at the track so was filling the tank from my gas jugs often throughout the day. 93 octane (best avail)

Symptoms: The car was great for all 5 track days until the last run today. During all runs, the car was getting full boost. I was running the car hard and I suddenly lost a bunch of power. The oil pressure looked good and the temp was ok. The car run rough into the pits and to my trailer. I let the car run for about 10 minutes to cool the turbos and the car did not stall. There was no smoke or visible oil leaks. I ran the car around the pits at about 3-4k rpm's and I could not duplicate the problem. I loaded the car onto the trailer and drove 3 hours home. Unloading the car from the trailer, the car stalled for about 3 times as I was trying to start her. Still no smoke on startup or visible oil leaks. I tried again but this time I used some throttle and it started but idled rough for a couple of minutes. After about 3-4 minutes, the car started to idle fine and at a constant rpm.

Questions: fuel filter? turbos? wastegate? hoses/clamps? ecu? Do you think she can be driven to the shop (10 miles)?

My wife is now doing DE events and we are sharing the car so I can blame her if something is real bad and we will have to fix/upgrade.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Tony

The way you are describing it, I would think it is an air hose popping off, especially if you were under WOT and boost when it happened. It could be any hose, but I would check first the intercooler hoses at the turbo level, or the hose connecting to the idle stabilizer (shiny cylinder) right behind the intercooler. In both cases you would have heard a popping noise and when under boost, you will hear a loud "wooooshhhhh". I drove mine for 50 miles after it happened, only try not to get on boost, it will just jerk a little under decelaration.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Tony

The way you are describing it, I would think it is an air hose popping off, especially if you were under WOT and boost when it happened. It could be any hose, but I would check first the intercooler hoses at the turbo level, or the hose connecting to the idle stabilizer (shiny cylinder) right behind the intercooler. In both cases you would have heard a popping noise and when under boost, you will hear a loud "wooooshhhhh". I drove mine for 50 miles after it happened, only try not to get on boost, it will just jerk a little under decelaration.
This has happened to me as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Hose to one of the BOV valves...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

drove her to the shop this morning and had to keep the rpm's down and the acceleration slow but she made it fine. the owner (former penske-donohue wrench) said just what you guys said. we will see for sure when he gets to a chance to dig in. thanks rennlist
Old 04-12-2005, 07:35 AM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

BOV line or boost pipe fitment is what I have found to cause the problem for me.

Quick Reply: Power Loss on Track ....Then Stalling?