Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think this high mileage TT is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 12:35 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What do you think this high mileage TT is worth?

With there not being very many high mileage TT's for sale, here is one that is high on the miles that came from California to the current owner in Florida. I spoke to the owner about the car and he uses it as his daily driver of about 500-600 miles a week. I was wanting to know what you guys thought the var would be worth.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is probably worth 47-50k.
I personally believe that the 993TT's are going to hit a low of around 40k and never really drop below that mark if they are well kept and maintained.
I have now owned my 97TT for 3 mos after having a 95 993 for 3 years and it is well worth it if you can make the jump.
I would not be concerned with the mileage as long as a compression and leak down test is done along with a PPI.
Good luck and I hope you get one.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in germany (www.mobile.de) there are many 993tt with >100k mls.

price range for 100k mls is 42-45k Euro, i.e. ~55k usd.
price range for 50k mls is 50-60k Euro. ~ 30% more

dont know if this helps.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I saw that car and thought it was strange he didn't have any pictures of the interior.

I am not opposed to high mileage cars, but just remember the extra wear and tear brings with it expense, i.e. valve guides, clutches, turbo rebuilds etc. The more miles, the more the car needs to be inspected by someone qualified.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a beautiful car, and if well-maintained could well be a great buy. Have the shocks ever been changed? Clutch? Valve guides? Turbos? While many lower mileage turbos seem to have premature wear of the above items, you better ensure that these have been dealt with, or that you have them budgeted in your price. My car, with 68k miles, still has the original cltuch and turbos, but I know they can't last forever. When they finally do give out, I will upgrade for more HP (hybrid turbos), and better throttle response (light-weight flywheel and clutch assy). If you have similar upgrades in mind, then getting this car at the right price may be great for you. BTW, midnight blue can be stunning.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:51 PM
ploglet
Pro

I have spoken to the owner and he has no records for the car. He is a dealer who bought the car out of California in the big Manheim auction. He has put new tires on the car and has been driving the car as his own car for 4K miles. He seems honest enough but has no records for the car and didnt pull a carfax. He has a PPI done for an extra fee prior to purchasing the car at the auction. Manheim evidently allows for this prior inspection to be done for a fee. They do do a compression check and the numbers came back good.
The issue for me is more the turbos, valve guides, and clutch. From talking to the owner it sounds like the car is in very good condition and he has no problem having the car taken in for a PPI in Florida. I was thinking about getting the car and turning it into more of a track car. I would drive the thing on the road on the odd occasion but it would not be the primary driver as I have the other TT for this.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man thats a lot of miles.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Ploget,

If there are wear issues on the things you'd want to upgrade for a track car anyway... you're in a great position to negotiate and end with a monster for a very good price. 112k miles on a 1996 car is not a lot... its only that us Porsche crazies think that a 1996 car with more than 30k miles is all used up. No way. Frequent oil changes and proper cool-down, and they'll last well more than double that. Valve guide wear is a "glass-half-full" thing... perfect opportunity for some head work while you're in there anyway. <rubbing my hands together> let's get this party started!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
ploglet
Pro

ca993Twin, that was what I was thinking. If you could get the car for say 43-45 range, and then do a little additional "tinkering" you would have a car that is well worthy of track days and the odd blast to work. THe items that worry me more are things like transmission, brakes, seals, etc. This is the highest TT I have seen for sale over here in the states. And trying to get info on high mileage TT's over in Europe is tough to track down. Any one have any European input on high mileage TT's?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I hear you. I know there are some Rennlisters with similar mileage, and while I don't have any specifics, I remember getting the feeling that 100k+ miles are not a problem. Of course much depends on how it was used/abused. I'm sure a whacko can wreck his synchros in 20k miles, and use up a clutch in less than that. A sensibly driven and well cared for TT should not have any wear issues with the gearbox. Brakes are a standard wear item, and pads (and even rotors) need to be changed once in a while. Seals? I dunno. My vc gaskets start seeping when the car isn't driven! I think you're gonna have to see if the reserve isn't met, fly down and look at the car, and hope that the items you want to upgrade anyway are in obvious need of replacement. That will give you the best leverage. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

That's not alot of miles...

My 97 turbo has 148K and still has original clutch, rotors, pads, and turbos...

Hope I didn't jinx anything.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
ploglet
Pro

wow you win the award for most miles on a TT in my book. What items have you had to replace over the years?

Quick Reply: What do you think this high mileage TT is worth?