Help with records and a California dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with records and a California dealer

I purchased a 97 Turbo that was serviced by Beverly Hills Porsche from Jan 1998 to Feb 2000. I called the owner during that period and received his blessing to obtain the records. I proceeded to call the BHP dealership and though they were polite they told me that they had changed computers and could not access old records.

I since spoke to someone at another porsche dealership who told me that it was not the case and that all files were trasfered to the new computers.

Can anyone share any light on this matter or give me a contact to get what I am looking for.

I am willing to pay for any inconvenience.

Thanks

Levino
Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many dealers do not want to give out service records. I am not sure if they just don't want to waste the time, orif they are avoiding some sort of liability.

And who changes computers and loses all their old data. Come on. Worst case if they did not transfer the data they leave the old DB in tact and have a machine or two that can access it.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I got the EXACT same story when i bought my TT from florida. The car was serviced at Champion and they were able to print out about 70% of the records to a certain date. They said that their system could not print out before that, but they read the records to me.. really strange.
I did not know what to think
Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viperbob, my sentiments exactly. Imagine you are a long term customer and coming in the week after the change over and they don't have anything on you or your car. Counter intuititve, totaly.

Does anyone know the people at Beverly Hills Porsche, as is often the case it is who you know.

Levino
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I am a new car dealer in Michigan and dealership personnel generally aren't going to help you for a number of reasons notwithstanding laziness, Gramm-Leach Privacy act, liability for the nature of use for which you are seeking the records. Your best course of action is to contact a dealership with whom you have a relationship and ask them to pull the records all Porsche dealers have access to the records with the vin #.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

I had the same problem with Beverly Hills Porsche when I look at a C2S 3 years ago. I subsequently passed on the car. I think the position dealers take is understandable - why take the risk? I would try to work through the previous owner.

Quick Reply: Help with records and a California dealer