Sponsored by:

Any overheating issues??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Any overheating issues??

Still looking but its just a matter of time before I have my 1st Porsche....it will most likely be the 993TT....
This will also be my 1st experience with an air cooled car...I know my Harley will get mucho hot in traffic in the summer. How do these cars handle the heat?
If in traffic on a summer day(or a cool day for that matter) how troublesome are they. I have never read any comments on this board about overheating but ....is it a problem??
Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
hatchy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 993TT gets hot, but unless you are redlining your engine in stop and go traffic, you should be fine. There is a fan on the oil cooler that kicks in to help keep the oil at a reasonable temperature. If you live in an area that gets really hot, you can always upgrade to one of the bling bling oil coolers.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a fan override switch that turns on the high speed oil-cooler fan. i use it on hot days in slow traffic, or idling down after a track session. It is quite effective in rapidly cooling down the oil as witnessed by the temp gauge...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why an aux oil cooler would be considered bling bling?

Our cars do get warm in stop and go traffic. The override switch will work fine.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I am probably one of the most qualified to answer this question along with Seege given where we live.
I live in the desert where it gets above 110 in july aug sept. On MY 993 TT I upgraded the ECU which will typically have the car run abit hotter. I was so worried about it I designed a whole dual Bling Bling
double oil cooler upgrade but I couldnt decide to go for one or two coolers. As I tried to decide I watched the temp gauge on my car wit the new ECU and I only ran a fraction higher. Not even worth worrying about it. SO with a stock car you should have no problem. Flying Finn and I consulted together and he actually designed and installed a bling bling one cooler unit of our design. It works really well.
Now having said all that, I chose to NOT (rarely) drive my car when it got over 90 degrees because my car was dark and it got warm in that type of weather inside and the AC was not the greatest ever made. I posted this once and Kevin M. our resident Turbo Expert said because of the aluminum design of the motor/heads it was a good idea to NOT run them when its over 90 degrees. You CAN with no problem but its a good idea to let them have the day off when it gets really warm. Porsche designed them to run in hotter than hell temps. But if you dont have to, dont.
I am going to treat the GT3 the same way, even though the AC is MUCH better.

Last edited by OldGuy; 04-05-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Now having said all that, I chose to NOT (rarely) drive my car when it got over 90 degrees.......
That is why I needed to bring that car to Alaska....America's Intercooler.

Marc
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Marc that thing was made for Anchorage. you will not have to worry about losing HP because of high air temps. Lower temps means MORE HP!!! No worrys about a $6 thousand dollar Cargraphic bling bling oil cooler either
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
That is why I needed to bring that car to Alaska....America's Intercooler.Marc
Hell Mark, you might even have to take that thing off!!!

Quick Reply: Any overheating issues??