Overboost question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Overboost question

I installed temporarily a "550 hp" engine from FVD in my 993TT and I am facing some issues..

After driving it for a few miles in a mild manner, suddenly it could not boost beyond 0.2- 0.3 nor hold idle at all, it turned out that an I/C hose was damaged at the attachment point with the turbo and I changed it. The car now runs well, perfect idle, and very smooth even under throttle, and the boost creeps up perfectly except under WOT.

A few days back, at WOT in 3rd or higher gears mainly, at around 4k+ RPM the car cuts off violently with a loud "Bang" from the exhaust, a clear symptom to me that it is overboosting and the knock controls are doing their job.

Other than messing up with the wastegates (FVD K24/26) as I do not have really competent technicians here, any simple potential fix I should look into?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

My first guess is a hose not attached to the frequency valve or a pinched hose to one of the turbo actuators.. If they are both working make sure that the wastegate is actually working and not frozen or binding. If all of this checks out, you can back off the wastegate adjustments out. Do them equally side to side.. I'd start with 2 full turns on each unit..
Old 03-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Why isn't your engine in from Protomotive? I thought that you were ready to fire it off?
Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for your advice. I will take care of checking that. It is likely that they are binding a bit because the engine was in storage for a while.

The Protomotive engine was cleared from Saudi customs only yesterday, so it will be in the car by the end of the week hopefully. I just need to do the setup for the twin fuel pumps and Carrera DME harness. This FVD engine is VERY impressive BTW, greatly balanced.

I will revert ref above issue as soon as my ribs allow me to breathe better ( had a Kart accident during a race this week end).
Thanks Kevin

Quick Reply: Overboost question