Sponsored by:

Paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection

I have read a number of threads regarding paint protection films. I am interested to know what, if any, paint protection you've used on your cars, what the product is, where you purchased it, whether you applied it yourself, and whether it works.

I had my new-to-me '96 993tt out for the first time a few weeks ago and came home with two pits in otherwise pristine paint. I'm interested in using Armor Glove or similar paint protection, but don't know how it looks installed, how it works, and whether to tackle installing myself. I'd really appreciate any insight you all could provide.

Thank you.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the film from a couple of differnet compaines - it all seems to be sourced from 3M. My latest order was with Invinca Shield, no affiliation, yada, yada, yada. The simple pieces such as hood and rear fenders, are easiest. The compound curves are tough and I tend to avoid these pieces. I now have the product on my P-car as well as my Tundra Pickup. Most companies will provide video/printed instructions. Buy a small kit and try it - can't hurt.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had 3M film installed by a local shop called Ultrashield. IMO, the skill of the installer is the most important factor in a quality installation.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:18 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3m from Invincashield on the hood. Due to the poor fit and poorly skilled installer (me), I turned to a professional for the bumper pieces. These were done with a competing product from Venture. Of the two, I prefer the Venture film. It is the same thickness and offers the same protection, but does not have the slight orange peel look of the 3m. As mentioned before, installer skill is important on the compund curves.

Quick Reply: Paint protection