Sponsored by:

leather or not leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:08 AM
wunderkap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather or not leather

I just got my '96 TT a few days ago and want to make sure about the interior. I was wondering what is leather and what is simulated leather. The car has "Full Leather" and "Supple Leather" People have told me that even the headliner and the middle dash (panels that the speedo cluster, key, air, radio airbag) are leather. I can tell that these panels are not leather. The rest of the dash (the stitched part) seem to be leather, as do the seat fronts on the front and rear seats. I am wondering about the door panels, the seat backs, the side panels in the rear.
thanks
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything thats not plastic is leather. Seat backs headliner, rear deck knee pads door panels
everything.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Door panels, seat backs, and rear side panels are leather. You are correct about dash. Also rear seats and panel behind rear seat backs are leather.

many of the non leather parts such as mid-dash, sun visors, headliner, various center console parts, and many other bits and pieces could be ordered in leather. Very expensive!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:49 PM
martyg
Advanced

Default Dash Stitching

I did not see any running along the dash near tach, right at the lip. May be partial leather like my old 98S. But if you have the stitch, you more than likely have full leather.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:10 AM
wunderkap
Track Day

Default Stitching

Yeah, the dash, glove box, ashtray, doors and center console all has the stitching on the edge. I mainly wanted to know for detailing purposes where to apply leather conditioner.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Digging up an old thread here as I have been wondering what stuff in my car is actually leather and whats not. Does anyone know for a fact exactly which parts in the 993TT that is leather as opposed to vinyl? I know the turbo has full leather as standard but what does that mean? There seem to be a lot of confusion about this and it's difficult to check as the vinyl looks/feels very similar to leather.

Are the rear seats and seat backs always leather in a turbo?

Are the interior rear quarterpanel covers leather? (I don't think so?)

Is the rear shelf behind the rear seatbacks leather? (The answer above suggest this)

Is the headliner leather? (I guess not..?)

I know the door bin lids and the door handles are leather but how about the trip piece on the very top of the door (alongside the top of the dash)? How about the door panel inserts or the part where the tweeter sits?

Appreciate any input
Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

The dash top and knee bolster are leather, as is the center console and seating surfaces.

The door panels are all leather including the insert and top part.

The dash center, headliner, pillars and such are vinyl.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Thanks Quadcammer,

That's what I thought. Ok so the whole doorpanel is leather, even the piece where the tweeter sits? (The very back behind the door panel insert). Are you saying that the rear seat bottoms and rear seat backs are always leather in a turbo? I take it that the rear shelf (the hole piece in which the rear speakers sit) and the interior quarter panels/seat belt enclosures are also vinyl then?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Rear seats are not leather in a full leather interior
Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No one has specifically asked, but I'll throw it out there, regarding interior detailing products.

I use Zaino Z10 on all the leather. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant on all the non leather (vinyl and plastic). With great results. Interior looks great, and smells fresh. All nice matte finishes. If the Zaino gets on the vinyl or the 303 gets on the leather, it's no problem.

Prior to conditioning the leather and non leather, I clean everything with a diluted solutiuon of Lexol Leather Cleaner (orange bottle) and water. Using a quality leather cleaning brush (Detailers Domain) greatly improves results.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Rear seats are not leather in a full leather interior
This is what I thought previously. It seems to me that around half of the people on here think that this is true and the other half says that all turbos have leather rear seats. My intention with digging up this thread is to finally figure out if the rear seats in the turbo are always leather or not. There are two types of rear leather seats (I just recently learned this on here); One is supple leather (with which there is no doubt that it is leather) and the other one is just leather. The latter one looks very much like the vinyl version. If anyone knows this for sure please do tell.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
No one has specifically asked, but I'll throw it out there, regarding interior detailing products.

I use Zaino Z10 on all the leather. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant on all the non leather (vinyl and plastic). With great results. Interior looks great, and smells fresh. All nice matte finishes. If the Zaino gets on the vinyl or the 303 gets on the leather, it's no problem.

Prior to conditioning the leather and non leather, I clean everything with a diluted solutiuon of Lexol Leather Cleaner (orange bottle) and water. Using a quality leather cleaning brush (Detailers Domain) greatly improves results.
Thanks for the info. I used leatherique on my leather seats (front) with great results. For the rear shelf and the rear seats (thinking they are vinyl) I used aerospace 303 protectant. I recently bought some stuff from detailers domain (I was given some advice by "Stealth993" on this board. Among other things I bought Einzett cockpit cleaner or something like that. The 303 stuff is good but is more a protectant than a cleaner. The leatherique stuff is more for damaged leather than for annual renourishing of your treated leather. I bought some products for that specific purpose as well. Will try them out in due course.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

I can assure you the rear seats are not leather on a standard full leather turbo!!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have "CONSOLE SWITCH FRAM/TUNEL LTHR" option for $515. And the "LTHR TAY BEHIND PARKING BRAKE" (cassette holder) option for $266. I removed the cassette holder for a standard tray.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
I can assure you the rear seats are not leather on a standard full leather turbo!!
The rear seats in my car are are definitely leather. I have the supple leather option. I erroneously put Leatherique on the "pleather", other than the headliner, and it looks super. The Leatherique guy up here said use it on everything but suggest double checking with your supplier.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Everything in my car looks like leather to me except the carbon pieces/obvious plastic and sun visor. The rear seats/deck/door panels are in my basement (just had a look at them/ behind where they are glued/stapled/put together) and are leather, only thing that's not leather on the back seats are the seat back/carpet and vinyl floppy piece at the base of the seat back. On my window sticker all it says is 'black leather interior N/C"

Quick Reply: leather or not leather