Sponsored by:

leather or not leather

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Everything in my car looks like leather to me except the carbon pieces/obvious plastic and sun visor. The rear seats/deck/door panels are in my basement (just had a look at them/ behind where they are glued/stapled/put together) and are leather, only thing that's not leather on the back seats are the seat back/carpet and vinyl floppy piece at the base of the seat back. On my window sticker all it says is 'black leather interior N/C"
Thanks for the info. So you are saying that the whole shelf is also leather? And also the covers for the rear quarter panels/seat belt retractors?

The best way to find out is to loosen one of the factory staples and look on the back side. The leather has a suede kind of texture on the back and the vinyl has, well.. just more vinyl. I don't have access to my car right now or I would have done this already.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

to me the rear shelf is vinyl, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
Thanks for the info. So you are saying that the whole shelf is also leather? And also the covers for the rear quarter panels/seat belt retractors?

The best way to find out is to loosen one of the factory staples and look on the back side. The leather has a suede kind of texture on the back and the vinyl has, well.. just more vinyl. I don't have access to my car right now or I would have done this already.
Yup, those pieces I have sitting in the basement so I can look at the other side.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Yup, those pieces I have sitting in the basement so I can look at the other side.
That's interesting/good news. I was pretty sure the speaker shelf, rear 1/4 panels and door insert panels were pleather but I guess our difficulty in telling is testament to how good the vinyl really is.....
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
That's interesting/good news. I was pretty sure the speaker shelf, rear 1/4 panels and door insert panels were pleather but I guess our difficulty in telling is testament to how good the vinyl really is.....
Ok let me get this straight: Pleather=vinyl, right? You are saying that it's tough to tell because the vinyl looks so much like leather when "Basal Skull" just confirmed that it is leather... Or am I missing something?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Ok let me get this straight: Pleather=vinyl, right? You are saying that it's tough to tell because the vinyl looks so much like leather when "Basal Skull" just confirmed that it is leather... Or am I missing something?
Sorry. I am being confusing. Everything you might normally touch appears to be leather for sure. The headliner, speaker panel, rear side panels and door inserts look like pleather (vinyl that really looks like leather) to me. If someone has seen the backing and is convinced they are leather, I guess they are.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My options list shows the A pillars wrapped in leather as an 'extra'. I think the panel into which the instruments sit (which is the same blue as the seats, rather than standard black) is also leather.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM
V
Rennlist Member

The headliner, speaker panel, rear side panels and door inserts look like pleather (vinyl that really looks like leather) to me.
Hi Ronnie, that's exactly my thinking as well. I am still not convinced these surfaces are real leather.

If someone has seen the backing and is convinced they are leather, I guess they are.
Not that I don't trust "Basal Skull", but has anyone else looked on the backside of these pieces and can confirm it's real leather?

Basal Skull: Do you have any extra option that might explain why these pieces are leather in your car or is this standard for the 993TT? Thanks for looking into this btw .
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear shelf is definitely leather. I have had this off.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I don't smoke but maybe a lit but will reveal the truth. Leather won't melt, pleather will!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Not that I don't trust "Basal Skull", but has anyone else looked on the backside of these pieces and can confirm it's real leather?

Basal Skull: Do you have any extra option that might explain why these pieces are leather in your car or is this standard for the 993TT? Thanks for looking into this btw .
As mentioned in my first post, all that it says on my window sticker is 'black leather interior N/C'.

With respect to if I'm qualified to tell if is something is leather - I grew up on/parents owned a mink ranch, harvested/fleshed/dried/processed pelts as a youngster/teen...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM
malcolmd
Racer

I grew up on/parents owned a mink ranch, harvested/fleshed/dried/processed pelts as a youngster/teen...
Hmmm. Where can I get mink pelt for the front dash top and rear parcel shelf?
I need to to contrast with my cashmere "fluffy dice" hanging from the mirror.

Quick Reply: leather or not leather