RUF-BTR2 Dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUF-BTR2 Dyno sheet

HP is at the wheels.

The torque curve showing power at 3300 explains a lot of wheel spin activity.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. THANK YOU.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:14 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Is this the motor rated by Ruf @ 420PS ? What is going on with those torque numbers
Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a Dynapack dyno which measures RWHP with the dyno pods bolted directly to the hubs. It is impossible for there to be wheel spin on this type of dyno. The torque numbers are axle torque. To find the RWTQ, you would take the axle torque and divide by the transmission gear ratio. So a peak of 1351 divided by the gear ratio input into the system of 3.4 = 397.35 peak torque. If the dyno operator had pushed the page down key four times it would have moved to an identical graph except it would be showing the RWTQ numbers instead of axle torque numbers. Further, if he had used the user defined graph, he would be able to plot any 2 variables on the screen.

The horizontal movement of the torque curve at 3300 is most likely a result of the wastegates opening, bleeding off exhaust to the turbochargers. From the shape of the curve at this point, it looks like there is some overboost, then the wastegates open, reducing pressure, therefore, reducing torque. This is not uncommon, especially when the ECU has not been programmed for the faster boost rise and can be easily seen if the torque was plotted against the manifold pressure. There is a way to export the file to a diskette, and if you want to email me the file, we can show the other graph format.

Using a 25% drivetrain loss figure, this shows about 510hp (std) at the flywheel.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 02-14-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:11 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Geoffrey,

One question, your 25% drive-train loss ratio, is that for torque, HP, or both?

Viperbob suggested I use 17% as an estimate. Power loss through the drive-train should be a function of the car, not the type of dyno machine. No?

In any case, 380 ft-lb peak torque at the wheel is really impressive. Congratulations Dan.

CP
Old 02-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The dyno only measures torque, HP is calculated using the formula HP = TQ*RPM/5252. So the loss is for both hp and torque. I have measured the loss of a G50/50 to be 15% on the given day I tested it, with fully warm transmission fluid. I have measured the G50 6speed of an AWD twin turbo to be more like 25% with fully warm transmission fluid. While converting from rwhp to fwhp is an estimate at best, I've had engines on engine dynos, then retested them in the car to get a rough estimate of what the losses really are. This is what my testing shows for a Dynapack dyno. I'd be interested in how Bob arrives at the 17% loss and what dynos he has used to calculate it.

Power loss is the loss through the drivetrain, not the dyno. On any given day, different brand dynos will all show different power numbers. Dynojet are typically high because they use F=MA, Dyno Dynamics and Dynapack are average with factory calibration that does not change, and Mustang dynos can be anywhere depending on how they have been calibrated and the user can make it ready whatever they want.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:05 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have measured the loss of a G50/50 to be 15% on the given day I tested it, with fully warm transmission fluid. I have measured the G50 6speed of an AWD twin turbo to be more like 25% with fully warm transmission fluid.
Thanks for the clarification. My RUF BTR is a 2WD single turbo.

I thought all BTRs are single turbo (in RUF speak CTRs are twin-turbos), I'm puzzled that you suggest Dan's BTR is a twin-turbo. I also don't know if his is AWD or 2WD like mine.

Also, in your experience, can ambient conditions cause a 10% varient in dyno numbers with the same car?

CP
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume anything about Dan's car in terms of turbo or drivetrain configuration, I'm not really up on my RUF nomenclature, nor the years available. I thought it was a converted car because I saw the AWD at the top of the dyno sheet. If it is 2WD, then I'd apply a 15% loss and if it is AWD, then I'd apply a 25% loss. I only mentioned the losses I've measured from engine dyno to chassis dyno which happen to be the aformentioned transmissions. A G50 6speed out of N/A car would have less of a loss because it has a smaller R&P.

Intake air temps, engine temps, and trans temp can all make a measureable difference on a chassis dyno and can be as much as 10% difference. You can see a difference in a given dyno session from run to run.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

FTR ... the car is one turbo and 2wd. I prefer Geoffrey's first estimate though

The car is RUF factory spec, no aftermarket modifications have been done. It has the latest RUF 993 BTR computer which was done this year when I replaced the faulty wiring loom (which damaged the old computer)

Putting the numbers aside, looking at the shapes of the curves, the impressive thing to me is the steepness of the torque curve and how early in the rev range it happens.

A friend of mine owns the dyno so it was a quick session in between customers. We didn't hook up boost or lambda.

I have a lambda and boost gauge in the car and I get 14.5 pounds (1 bar) and the lambda shows 9% CO (11:1 AFR) all through the run.

The factory 420hp is with 0.8 bar so the 1 bar I get explains the flywheel 450hp I guess.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
CP
Race Director

Daniel,

How do you get to 1 BAR if factory ECU is governed at 0.8 BAR? Or the new ECU upped it to 1 BAR? Also, how much for the latest ECU? I presumed it's still Motronics.

Thanks.

CP
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

CP, the early models had .8-.85 bar and the latter had .9-.95 bar (I got this info direct from Lieb at RUF). The early model computers were a 964 wiring loom plug cpu and the latter is now a 993. It is a motronics with a RUF chip in it.

The wiring loom is not a porsche loom it is a RUF modified loom. I think they have made other modifications to the computer/harness as well as the remapped cpu.

What is good is my old computer never worked with a ps2 and the new one now does.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

I don't mean to ask a dumb question, but, Is that showing 1300lbs of torque? Or am I reading it wrong?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Read Geoffrey's comments above .... it equates to 397lbs
Old 02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
JOHNCJ8989
5th Gear

New ruf pic...my new wallpaper.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:43 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume anything about Dan's car in terms of turbo or drivetrain configuration, I'm not really up on my RUF nomenclature, nor the years available. I thought it was a converted car because I saw the AWD at the top of the dyno sheet. If it is 2WD, then I'd apply a 15% loss and if it is AWD, then I'd apply a 25% loss. I only mentioned the losses I've measured from engine dyno to chassis dyno which happen to be the aformentioned transmissions. A G50 6speed out of N/A car would have less of a loss because it has a smaller R&P.

Intake air temps, engine temps, and trans temp can all make a measureable difference on a chassis dyno and can be as much as 10% difference. You can see a difference in a given dyno session from run to run.

Geoffrey what do you estimate the CF for the dyno jet 2wd dyno to determin crank HP?

THIA

Quick Reply: RUF-BTR2 Dyno sheet