Sponsored by:

993 TT or C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 06:29 PM
sportcarm3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 TT or C5 Z06

Hello, I am new to this forum, I just want to learn some things about the 993 porsche, Im in the market for getting a new car, I purchased a 95 m3 about 6 months ago with intent of building up the suspension and going either s/c or turbo, after having the car and considering the amount of money for the end result I am not interested in building the m3 anymore, i would rather get something that is more geared for high hp and performance from the factory, I have been looking at the c5 z06 vette's 02-04, they seem like the best performance for the dollar, but recently I saw some specs on the 993 porsche TT and am interested in that as well, I just want to see from 993 owners what your experience is with the car, and how well you like it and if you have any experience comparing the two.

I have a feeling the porsche will be the better balanced of the two, have better interior, but for the extra money you would spend on a good condition 993 tt is it worth it. I went on a canyon run recently with my friend in his newly aquired gt3 porsche, and realized that even if I dumped $10k in my m3 I would barely be getting close to keeping up with the factory car, I want to get a car that is higher performance stock, like the 993 tt or z06 vette, not neccessarily just to keep up, but to have the better platform to start with. I also want to know if there are difference's in each 993 tt model's, what are the plus's etc. Any help is appriciated, and if someone can post the most accurate spec's on hp rating's and weight of the car for the u.s. spec 993 tt I would appriciate it as well! Thanks!

-Nick
Old 02-10-2005, 07:20 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

On a performance per dollar perspective, the Z06 can't be beat. The soon-to-be-realeased C6 Z06 sounds like an even bigger performance bargain.

But not all measurements are done at the drag strip or road course. Only you can determine if the extrodinary build quality of the 993TT is worth anything to you. Only you can determine if the relative scarcity of the 993TT adds value. Only you can decide if the amazing body lines of the 993TT strikes you the way it does the rest of us on this board.

On the other hand... the 993TT is getting close to 10 years old. They're starting to need clutches and shocks and other expensive tidbits. And while the 993TT is a platform that can be made to produce way more hp... well I have a friend with a blown Z06... it flat hauls ***, though I don't think it could hold up for any long stretch of throttle.

Great choices... you simply can't go wrong either way. Can you get an opportunity to drive them both? Where do you live?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask CJ (Seege). He has both but his Z06 is track prepped. I believe he loves the Z06 for the track.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:46 PM
sportcarm3
2nd Gear

San Diego, I have yet to make friends with anyone down here who has a 993 tt or z06 vette, I have friends with supra tt, rx7 tt, ferrari stradale, 996 tt, gt3, turbo m3, and pretty much every other car you can think of but not one with a 993 tt or z06.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nick
Yes, I have both cars but neither is stock anymore. HP to weight is very close, Z06 405 hp @ 3100+-lbs. 993TT 408 hp @ 3300+-lbs with all wheel drive.
This comparison is difficult especially with all the variables such as cost, build quality, 2wd vs. AWD etc. Both cars are very track-capable out of the box with just a few suspension mods.

If your goal is to run with a GT3 well then you can look to SCCA T1 racing where these 2 cars compete in relatively stock form with the Z06 winning the lions share of the races. But the few GT3's that do compete do very well and if more were entered I suspect they would fare better. My 993TT is highly modified,relative to the Z06 and it seems to fare well with GT3's. Either car is capable of hanging close with a GT3.So you're on the right track there.

I've always loved Porsches and hopefully will always have one.My Porsche is the best car I've ever had on many levels-handling, braking, raw acceleration, bitchin looks etc.If anything happened to it I would be sick. If anything happened to the Corvette I would shrug it off and replace it. But there's no denying the value of the Z06,it has great balance and torque... forever, decent braking and you can make one into a Supercar for 10 grand or so. 10 thousand on a TT gets you about 1/3 as far.

Hang out here and read. Hang out on Z06vette.com and read. You'll find the right fit for you. BTW Porsche owners are the coolest.

Last edited by seege; 02-11-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seege
BTW Porsche owners are the coolest.

HEHEHE! Yes we are!
Wouldn't ever change to a 'vette. It doesn't have that exotic feeling...
Old 02-11-2005, 02:33 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by seege
Yes, I have both cars but neither is stock anymore.
I vote this as understatement of the year!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Wasatch GT3
Track Day

Nick.....I had a 993tt and loved it. The build quality is superb, handling and power rush awesome and great looks. If the Vette were as fast or faster, I would still flat out take the P car. I love the quality and go nuts with cheap bits all over. And, I am on my third P car and love the reliability. I took my gt3 out last october to a track event and literally took the tires down to the cores, limpled home, put on new tires..and here is what I loved...asked the dealer if i needed new brake pads or anything else. The checked it out and I had not phased anything but the rubber. I love how tough they are. In fact, now that I think about it, there was as modified Vette at the event puting out way over 500 HP. No way could I keep up....until his transmision and brakes got hot. I never realized before that what reliability meant in terms of track time. I went through two tanks of fuel and never has to slow down! My bus partner had my 993tt on the same day and he drove it hard all day as well without a glitch....other than four completely spend tires! Good luck...
Old 02-11-2005, 06:57 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

You really need to drive both cars. Two totally different cars. For the price you can not beat the vet.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:47 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Hummm, Zo6 positives, great balance, with 50/50 weight distribution, ala 944t. Inexpensive, compared to other sports cars in this performance class. (400 hp.) Cheap to modify.

Negatives, brake upgrades necessay to compete with the big dogs. Cheap interior. Clutch issues with mods. Expensive to modify to bring up to competive level of Vipers and serious turbo porsches.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Tour18
Banned

The Z06 and 993TT could not be any different if they came from different planets. If I really, absolutely, toy money is at stake, have to get there. Minor off road excursions possible, wad it up and walk away if necessary; it's Z06 time. Rock and roll, turn up them titanium trumpets...

The 993TT; I simply don't have adequate command of the English language to type a worthy description. Like I said, compared to the Chevy, it may as well be from Mars. It's a Porsche.

If I blindfolded you, and put you in my Z06, you wouldn't have much trouble figuring out that it was a typical late model GM product. Really, no big deal for a car guy.

If I blindfold you; having no idea it's a Porsche. With no part of your body having made the slightest contact with the Porsche; the instant I crack the door open, just the smell will do something inside your brain. Somebody help me here, I need to go rub my hands across the underside of the rear spoiler...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Tour18
Banned

JJB4, you hit it right on the head with the 944 analogy. I love 944s. To me, the 944 is one of the finest machines ever made. Buy a Z06 and you get a 944 with 405 hp. The finest Firebird Pontiac never made...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Tour18

Had a 944t myself, with 400+ hp. Loved that car. If you missed the turn in point, so what. Sold it to a doc in Ohio. He called to tell me that the first time he tracked it, it beat every vett. The only thing that passed that car was race cars on slicks.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Cool

I have a 97 TT, and love it. I drove a ZO6 not to long ago. Ill tell you what, there is one thing that convinced me that my TT is the ultimate. Drive the ZO6, with the traction control off. Make a left turn, half way through your turn punch it.......that rear end lights up and your losing traction and sliding..... Now do the same with a 993 Twin Turbo, and I guarantee, it will pull you through the turn.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

If you can afford the 993TT over the C5 Z06, get the Turbo!

Really, a Z06 is the same price as a Boxster S so if the extra $40K doesn't matter, the 993TT is a no brainer - and I've put 36,000 miles on an 01 Z06.

Jim

Quick Reply: 993 TT or C5 Z06