Sponsored by:

Smokes oil in air inlet side

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:45 PM
wunderkap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokes oil in air inlet side

I am looking to purchase a 993TT. The car I found is experiencing an excessive amount of oil when cold in the compressor turbine housing, air inlet and intercooler. This will show by smoking from from both sides of the exhaust for 5 minutes after a cold startup. Other than that the car runs fine. The compression test is perfect to factory spec, and the boost is .8 BAR. The car is an early 1996 with 15K miles. I have heard that this strange problem shows in some cars. This was found by my inspection mechanic after we settled on a price. Does this problem need to be fixed and can it be expensive?

Wunderkap
Old 01-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome!!!

If you have pulled the inlet air tubes to the inlet side of the compressor and have " excessive amount of oil when cold in the compressor turbine housing".. You need a rebuild most likely than not... I would check and see if you have a high oil level. But again this topic has been brought up many times.. There has been issues with oil filters and installation problems with oil filters.. If you tighten them to tight they will fail..

Basically if the car has been smoking in this state for a period of time your turbine (hotside) sealing ring is all coked up.. It won't heal itself.. Have the owner lower the price or have him fix the turbo's.. Did you have a leak down test done?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:41 PM
wunderkap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help! The oil level is not high and it has the proper oil filter. We did not have a leakdown test becase the compression test did pass with flying colors. The owner has authorized work to hopefully fix the problem. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Smokes oil in air inlet side