Sponsored by:

993 Turbo future prices in Canada and U.S

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Cobalt,

There are good buys out there if you are very patient and wait it out. 996tt's prices are dropping very quickly which makes for a good buy. 996tt are fastly approaching the 993tt prices. Does that mean the 993tt prices are going to drop also? Probably a bit, but they seem to be maintaining pretty well.

When you make a statement on the 993tt board that you have seen several "very nice" 993tt with 40-55k miles for $50-$55k you need to show proof of several cars for that price. Very nice 993 C2S and C4S examples are selling in that range.

If there are any Rennlisters that want to sell me their silver, speed yellow or glacier white "very nice" 993tt for $50k please let me know.

Thank you
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Bradford,

I appreciate your comments and believe you me I would not post something like this without seeing it first hand. I know how touchy people can become regarding their cars but my statement is truthful and I don't feel I need to prove myself to anyone. Those that know me know I am not an argumentative person by nature and that I only speak what I know or have personally experienced.

I stand behind what I said and it is each individual Rennlisters prerogative to believe me or not. Although I keep an ongoing list of all 94 turbos that I have seen sell in the past year I did not keep a list for the 993TT's. I looked at the 993TT's before buying my 94 and my decision was not based on money but on preference. If you really need proof I can track down the people that have sold the cars for these prices. i don't see what good it will do unless TT owners decide to unite and have a lynching party.

The 993TT IMO should hold its value as a street car long after most 996TT's have been turned into full blown track cars. It doesn't mean that there won't be cars out there that sell for the occasional less than average going price.It also doesn't mean that the markets are not changing.

I have seen 94 964 turbos sell in the $60-$80k price range and others sell in the $45-55k range also. I have seen 94 turbos sell for $50k to a dealer and the dealer turned around and sold the car for $65k. If you really want to go crazy look at the range and turn around on the ultra rare 94 turbo S Flachbau they have sold for between $85 and $140. Some have been sold to dealers that bought them cheap and then sold them for top dollar. SO what, it doesn't make my car any more or less valuable. When it come to the decision to buy or sell these things it is all a personal choice and as i stated these things are only worth what someone is willing to pay you for them or in these cases what the seller was willing to let them sell for.

I would not worry that your cars value is suddenly dropping, however the market is quickly changing. Especially with cars like the new Z06 selling for less than $70k that will be hard to beet for performance and handling at that price.

BTW one car was a very nice clean Black with Tan interior another was Balck with gray interior and anothr was a gorgeous Midnight blue with Tan. None of these cars were modified and all appeared to be in very good clean condition.(not that they didn't need some work and a good polish) I was very tempted to buy the Blue/tan one and try to sell it for more but as my wife says i always have a hard time parting with these things once I own them.

Good luck searching for the car of your dreams and I hope the market does stay stable because although I don't plan on selling my car I too would heat to see their values drop as the 966TT's appear to be doing.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:11 AM
tim252
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking for answer to original question?????????

Thanks for all who have responded; however, bottom line is I do not have any opinions on where these will bottom out at (Canadian or American). I would like to know what people opinions are from 1 to 4 years from know. I know this is highly speculative; however, with a price today of 60,000 to 76,000 American where are prices going. All anwers are very much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim252, I don't think any 993tt owners would step up and say in a few years the tt will be worth $_____. Not withstanding the occasional great deal suggested that could be found if you happened to be lucky enough to get one at that price. A depreciation rate on these cars would be difficult to determine I tried for the heck of it.
This last air cooled tt may benefit from the mass production of the water cooled twins and reach a cult like status. Its a popular opinion held by others that its already there as depreciation rates at greater levels already exist between the 996 & 993 models.
On the other hand an equal argument can be made for buying a more modern car (996tt) and the near same $ of a air cooled twin.
If you want a greater level in security as far as future value wait until this summer to buy. See what happens in both markets as a model of comparison. The new 997s will have been out for abit and you may see greater downward pressure on the 993tt as owners perhaps trade out their 996turbos and dealers/owner dump them on the market and the oversupply takes effect. If you study out all data sources available starting now you might see where the market is headed, its been suggested the 993tt depreciation is slowing down or has leveled off. Whatever you do, buy and enjoy.

Cobalt, respectfully I'm not being touchy and I don't think anyone else is for that matter, however alot of us had searched for along time and never found anything remotely close to the $ you suggest and when someone out of the blue drops those #'s heads start scratching b/c of our own personal experience. Doug (frisbee54) I believe has looked at two 30-40k mileage tts recently in the $'s you mentioned and both couldn't pass the PPI and others including myself have seen the same thing on personal searches.

As far as ViperBobs car mentioned in this thread. I don't know the specific details of his purchase, however I have spoken w/him and the car is highly modded which makes me wonder if his car falls under the catagory of "great track car" purchase b/c of maint. issues. I don't know its just a thought and something to consider. Maybe he or someone that knows its history will tell.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just dont understand what is up for debate here....

look at rennlist classifieds, PCA Panorama advertisements, autotrader.com, cars.com, and any other source... the prices being thrown around here are what low mileage mint condition S and 4S cars go for, not 993tt.

with little exception, a buyer cant get into a 993tt with less than 40k miles/great condition for less than $70k... most are in the $80ks....

please someone tell me what i am missing here... i dont understand what the debate is all about...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

John,
At the same time for $80K you are now seeing some low mileage 996TT's showing up on the market. Some of the C4S's and other cars are holding a higher value due to rarety. Low mileage pristine examples are being grabbed by collectors who are willing to pay extra. The entire market is shifting as it always has. I just see that the range in pricing has changed and that I have seen decent 993TT's sell for a lesser price than many would expect or hope to see. I think in many cases you have people that purchased 993TT's, have owned them since new and are not the Rennlist type enthusiast that realizes that the cars are worth more than what Kelly Blue Book tells them. So they market their cars at a price to sell in order to move to something new. If I was searching for a 993TT I would be happy that good deals are becoming available. So long as there is enthusiasm for this model, pricing should not vary drastically but newer cars with more HP are becoming available as new for the same price as a used TT.

These kind of price changes always appear to happen when a new model comes along and the previous models start becoming more affordable.

I know of someone right now who is willing to pay more for a higher mileage 996C4S than they would a lesser mileage 996TT. If the price was the same I would go for the turbo myself.

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo future prices in Canada and U.S