Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARRGH!!! The unthinkable happened!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
harryb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were able to save the hood sticker too!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:39 PM
harryb
Advanced

Here's what was done.....if you look back at the beginning of the thread you will see where the car was damaged when a car stereo installer slammed the hood on a socket wrench.

The body shop did entirely a metal repair...no bondo...no putty etc.

They then resprayed and cleared just the hood.

Harry
Old 03-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by harryb
Here's what was done.....if you look back at the beginning of the thread you will see where the car was damaged when a car stereo installer slammed the hood on a socket wrench.

The body shop did entirely a metal repair...no bondo...no putty etc.

They then resprayed and cleared just the hood.

Harry

cool, I was following the thread, glad to see they got it back just working the metal, I figured they would!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 AM
wunderkap
Track Day

Default Try PDR on dents

I recently had a top PDR "paintless dent removal" tech over my house to work on my cars. I found him through the local Porsche Dealership. He removed 12 dents from my Mercedes for $400! Several of them were making me want a complete paint job. My hood that looked like someone sat in the middle of it and has two cressent shaped dents facing each other about 2 feet apart. The top body shop in town quoted me 20 hours ($800) to remove the hood dents plus painting the complete car for $9200. I also had an dent on the hood from someone closing it on a tool. Not any more. The car came out flawless even under his light board.
He also removed some unnoticeable dents from my 993tt. These were only noticeable when he shined the light board on them and may have even been very slight factory imperfections. My lesson was do not only listen to paint shops because they need to paint to be successful.
My neighbor used the same PDR guy to fix where his wife closed the trunk lid on the top of a wine bottle. It stick up about 1/4". Once again, he made it showroom new.
One last story. The tech told me a story where a local Dr. had acquired what appeared to be a huge fist dent on the rear fender flare on his 2005 Porsche turbo. Some steroid idiot was probably so jealous of the car that he punched the car. After he totally repaired the dent the Dr. was so blown away that he gave him a $400 tip.
Beware, as all PDR techs are not an artist like this guy so check around with your local Porsche dealer or club on who to use.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:09 AM
harryb
Advanced

Wonderkap

Unfortunately, there was absolutely no way to repair this dent with paintless dent removal. The paint was entirely "broken" and chipping at the crest of dent, and the hood itself was actually bent.

Paintless dent repair is a miracle, but can only go so far.

Harry
Old 03-21-2005, 12:07 PM
wunderkap
Track Day

Default PDR

I should have mentioned that in my post that it will only work flawless if the paint is not cracked chipped or scratched through to the primer. Even then there needs to be access to the rear of the dent. Some areas on the body panels have bracing behind them so it makes it virtually impossible to access.
I really did not make the PDR suggestion to your car Harry as I know you already fixed it. I was just throwing it out there for anyone looking at this thread as a great alternative way to address the scary ding that we all may get someday.

Wunderkap
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure the stickers go back in EXACTLY the right place. Hairdressers know for sure. I found out the thousand dollar way...

Quick Reply: ARRGH!!! The unthinkable happened!