Sponsored by:

Track Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Questions

I am going to track my car this April in St. Louis at Gateway International Speedway. The PCA is having a two day course there. My questions are as follows:

1) My understanding is that it is bad to run the turbos hard and then just shut the car down. This is of course what I will be doing all day for two days. Do I run a large risk of turbo damage? Is there anything I can do to minimize the risk? or am I wrong to worry?

2) If I wanted to upgrade my brakes without adding any substantial weight to the car what are my options?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That is great Cliff... You are going to have a great time.

1) You should ALWAYS let your car idle for a persiod of time before shut off. The track is not going to do any more harm than just driving on the street. When you come in from a run, let the car sit (without any brake being applied) for at LEAST 2 minutes depending upon how hot the car got on the track. The oil temp should come down towards normal before shutting off.

2) Easiest upgrade to what you have to to get the RS rear calipers. They look exactly like what you have, but have much larger pistons. They help balance out the braking on the car quite a bit. This is the least expensive solution (about $800) Your other options are to go bigger infront with like a Brembo GT kit (4 piston) but this runs about $3200 painted red with a Porsche script. This rotors and caliper/brake pad setup actually is lighter by almost 10 lbs than your existing big red setup. If you did this, you would need to either get the RS calipers anyway for the rear, or buy the correspong Brembo GT kit for another $3200.

Jim Morton recently posted some great info on there setups. Jim also has the GT kits on the front and rear of his car....
Old 01-22-2005, 12:56 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) As above, let the car idle for a few minutes. Ensure you do a call down lap without braking hard or bringning on boost to allow the whole car to simmer down.

2) Learn to use the brakes consistently hard EVERY time. If this is your first track day you probably won't be braking anywhere nearly hard enough.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Cliff, one of the best upgrades is to properly bleed the brake lines and flush the stock oil and add a good performance one + change pads.

Bob,

Would these 4 piston Brembo fit a 380mm disk?
I still need to send you that email, very soon.

Jean
Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cliff,
You will have a blast. I agree with ACEparts, the best thing you can learn during your time on the track is the power of the brakes. I'm not sure you need to upgrade now. Learn on what you have...they are great brakes. I assume as Jean stated that you will have new brake fluid in the lines. You might want to bring an extra set of front pads just in case your "learn" the brakes well.
We are getting 18" of snow today and my car is hibernating. Have fun and Go Eagles.
Tony

Quick Reply: Track Questions