Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had a great drive with a CGT!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005 | 12:26 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Just had a great drive with a CGT!

I just had a great drive with a CGT friend. I was in my Ruf Turbo R. It was very fun and interesting! Here's a few things while they're still fresh in my mind:

1. The CGT and Ruf Turbo R accelerate nearly the same, even at relatively high speeds.

2. The CGT will blow me away on the tough mountain turns. It's not even close, especially when my friend is a better driver. He'd completely loose me within a few minutes.

3. On straightaways and long sweepers, the Ruf and the CGT seemed about the same.

4. The CGT's motor seems to speed up and slow down instantly. When you blip the throttle, it seems to react instantly with no delay.

To me, the most memorable part of the CGT seemed to be its handling, more so than its acceleration.

I have some windshield video that I'll post later. Unfortunately, it didn't come out as nice as I wanted it.
Old 01-15-2005 | 04:32 AM
Rassel
Drifting

So there is one this left then...
How was the engine music from the CGT?
Old 01-15-2005 | 02:55 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The CGT sounds very good. I think the speed that the engine revs up and down is what gets people's attention. It's almost like the car is "barking" at you.
Old 01-15-2005 | 06:29 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sounds like a fun time. Would love to see the video. The longer and wider wheelbase of the GT certainly would contribute to better handling and lateral G performance. What suspension are you running, Bill?
Old 01-15-2005 | 06:46 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H. in DC Area
Sounds like a fun time. Would love to see the video. The longer and wider wheelbase of the GT certainly would contribute to better handling and lateral G performance. What suspension are you running, Bill?
Here's a video simulation I got from someone. It simulates a Ruf Turbo R accelerating behind a CGT from 60 to 160.

Ruf accelerating with CGT

I'm running the Ruf Turbo R suspension. If we swapped cars, the CGT driver would probably still beat me. He's just a better or crazier driver, depending on how you see it.
Old 01-15-2005 | 08:15 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally Posted by John H. in DC Area
The longer and wider wheelbase of the GT certainly would contribute to better handling and lateral G performance.
Not to mention the pains which Porsche went to to assure a very low centre of gravity, e.g. small-diameter clutch.
Old 01-15-2005 | 08:29 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i was amazed how well a track-setup boxsterS handled on a tight track (limerock) ... there was no way i would keep up with him in thru the turns .. obviously it was different on the sweepers and straight. Therefore im sure the CGT has incredible handling and i would expect a 993tt would never keepup (not even considering the power differential).

then again for $450k and 9 years of technology later, it really should be better.
To me the question is if it is exponentially more fun and involving than Bill's car.
Old 01-18-2005 | 12:19 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

i think the quick revs are in part due to the small, light flywheel in the GT

Quick Reply: Just had a great drive with a CGT!