Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004 | 09:10 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Default Belt question...

My belt warning light started to come on two days ago... The belt is not broken yet so i take it that it's ready to go... I am ready to tackle the belt change and will follow the p-car.com diy instructions. I haven't changed a belt since high school and it was probably on a Datsun or something...

Is the change for NA car pretty much the same as the t urbo?? Anything else i need to do or need??

Thanks in advance,

Ray
Old 11-28-2004 | 10:24 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Page 72 of the Owner's Manual:
Engine fan belt warning light:
This warning light indicates that the cooling fan belt has broken. If this occurs, engine cooling will not be sufficient , and a new belt must be installed immediately. The vehicle must not be driven and the engine must be turned off. Serious damage to engine may occur if it continues running in this condition.

Though you say "The belt is not broken yet so i take it that it's ready to go", I would furthur investigate the reasons the light has come on and install a new belt immediately as a precaution.
Old 11-29-2004 | 01:36 AM
Speedy993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it might be a bad roller sensor if the belt is still there and in good shape and the light is comming on, this has happened to me twice on two different 911 turbos.
Old 11-29-2004 | 02:05 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it's not squealing, then it's probably a bad sensor. The roller has an outer plastic rim that can disintegrate indicating a looseness that isn't really there. If you do change the belt, make sure you have the special tool to hold the hub still while you loosen the nut. The small Allen head bolts are often seized and need to be chiseled loose and replaced. Count the shims and keep them all in order, also be sure the pin is correctly located in the hole through all parts. A bit more complex than your previous belt change and not much room to work in.
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:09 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Where is this roller sensor located??? and how hard is it to change???

Thanks
Old 12-01-2004 | 08:04 AM
Speedy993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look to the left side of the belt it's down there deep you will see the plastic roller touching the belt, it has one Allen screw holding it ( I think it's a 5mm) in place on the front and the sensor wire attached to it with a clip that is easy to remove. You will have to remove the intercooler which is not that difficult if you have some mechanical skills.
Old 12-07-2004 | 01:00 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help guys....

It was the roller sensor, and it was not too difficult other than the fact that i did not know the bolts holding the intercooler has nuts that can fall off.... needed a trip to the autozone for a magnet to fish it out.... And it was 5mm allen bolt......

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Belt question...