Sponsored by:

TT on ebay question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 06:00 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT on ebay question

Hello all...quick question regarding a TT on ebay. I currently have a 993 cabrio and have recently had a blast at my first 2 de events (Roebling and Sebring) but I am craving some additional hp. I have made a few upgrades and the car handles great considering its a cabrio. Anyway to the question...after investigating the various options of more power vs new car (TT) I think I am leaning toward a TT. I have been watching one on ebay that is a 96 with 60K+ miles on it and I wanted to get some basic opinions on the car and the seller if possible. The price seems low. The dealer is in Fort Lauderdale which is a short drive for me. I'm seriously thinking of buying it and doing a PPI at Champion as a condition of sale. The dealer is open to this so far. Thanks for any advice. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156
Old 11-28-2004, 06:30 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

It looks pretty good from here and sounds like you've got a plan that will work. Odds are that the body mods and price indicate a moderate wreck in it's past, but the PPI should clear this up. FL cars are always at risk for water damage from the storms, but again the PPI should tell the tale. These cars are getting old enough that seller financing difficulty is pushing the price down. That's good news for buyers like yourself.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:04 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd look at that car close. $56K seems low even for the miles.I'd be a little fearful of the 1st gear and the valve guides.

I did see a 1997 Black/Black 993 with about the same miles on Ebay this morning with no reserve and the starting bid around $20K. There are a few changes on the 97 that makes it a little more desirable
Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 AM
RC993TT
Advanced

As a word of caution, I used Champion several years ago for a ppi on a 930 slantnose. I was very dissapointed with the result. They missed a lot and it ended up costing quite a bit of money. Maybe some of the Florida guys can send you to someone more reliable. Price would dictate a very careful look.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the advice so far...here's where I'm at, the car only reached 51k on ebay so I called the broker and asked where he was at with the car. He mentioned he would be willing to go as low as 55. I spoke to the guys at Zotz who have done the mods on my 96 cabrio here in Orlando and they recommended talking to FVD down in Ft Lauderdale. I spoke to FVD and they said I should talk with Vince at Gulf Performance. I spoke to Vince at length last night and he is going to go get the car and do a ppi on Thursday or Friday. We will see how things check out. Worst case the car doesn't check out and I spend $150 on a ppi or it does check out and I can get a TT at what seems like a good price.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:23 AM
nman413
Drifting

Good luck. A tuned TT really is a lot of power even at the track. I think I'm going to go to a spec miata so I'm not doing ludicrous speeds anymore :P
Old 12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Did the carfax turn up anything?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my car from a seller in Miami and had the PPI and leakdown done at the Porsche dealer The Collection in Coral Gables. I thought they did a good job, ID'd a couple of things, and were professional. Incredible facility.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:15 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Update...the ppi was scheduled to be done today (12/7) but I rec'd a phone call from the broker that the car was sold last night. The quest goes on.

I have been in contact with a guy out in Sacramento who has 96 TT with 49K miles. He wants 58 for it. He sent me via fax about 18 pages of upgrade information on the car. I can't decide if it is a great deal or not.

Here's the story...this car was owned by Gary Wimmer in UT and Jonathan Lowman (aka Doc Lowman I think) in GA. Doc is a pca racer and had many many mods done to the car and I have a fax copy of many of the receipts. Gary had quite a few upgrades as well and I have some fax copies as well. Between the two I'm sure they spent well over 10k on the car. Here are some of the listed upgrades: OBDII upgrade, R&R inner cooler, R&R plugs and wires, front and rear mono ball suspension, Bilstein RSR shocks and springs, adjustable sway bars (not sure on the brand), powerflow dual air intake, turbo s brake ducts, short shift kit, race pedals, fuel pressure regulator, new fly wheel.

Obviously this car was tracked but I'm not sure how well the car has been taken car of. The current owner claims he bought for his brother as a gift but changed his mind. He hasn't even registered the car yet. A good ppi from a reputable shop should answer a lot of questions. Like I said it could be just what I'm looking for as mostly track and weekend car.

I'll do some searches for a ppi shop in sacramento and see what turns up.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Darren,

You're doing the right things. In my mind, some occassional trips to the track are a good thing... indicates that the car was in excellent shape and well respected. The downside may be a few extra rock chips on the leading edges, plus brake pad wear... no biggies. Since you'd probably want to do those upgrades anyway, the fact that they are already done is like cash in your pocket.

I've heard that mono-*****, though great for the track, can be a bit annoying for the street. Maybe someone can comment on that? A new flywheel "may" indicate a lightweight unit along with a new clutch... if so, that is another nice upgrade already done. For any track use, the 993TT really needs a second front oil cooler... something bigger than the "S" cooler (like I have) is better. Any ideas if he has one fitted?

Good luck on your search. What color is the car? What color(s) are you looking for?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

ca993twin, forgot to mention new clutch was on the fax list as well, like you suspected. The car is guards red with cashmere. I am not too hung up on color choice. My first interest is a really solid car, preferably with some upgrades already done. All things being equal my favorite color and first choice would be arena red, the same color as my cabrio. Second choice in colors would be either silver or guards red. I am one of the rare breed who really doesn't care for black too much.

Quick Reply: TT on ebay question