Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Markups on 993 Turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 PM
TTJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merry:
While we've got you on the line, have you noticed a change in 993tt prices over the last 2 years. I bought about 2 years ago when everything was going for $65-$75K with the occasional $55K low end example. I still see the $55K low end examples, but it seems as though the $65k cars are getting harder to find. Have these cars actually been appreciating?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM
merry0911
Track Day

Hi TT:
Sorry for the delay - started to respond several times and got busy. The 993 Turbo market is strong and has in my opinion always been strong. Miles are everything on any model Porsche - A 97 TT under 10k miles will bring mid to upper $80's - 15k mile cars will bring low $80's - 20k mile cars will bring high $70's. 96 models are same scale – just $3-$5k less. I know a lot of you are going to say that's outragous - but the right cars will bring that. Not to mention - it’s the best model Porsche ever produced - here again just my opinion - no hate mail from the surfers please. You 993 owners can thank Porsche for bringing out that 996 water hauler - that’s what made your 993's retain their value so well. Shoot – you can buy a 996 01 TT for about the same money a 97 TT will bring. What does that tell you? There are some cars out there from private individuals that are going for less – just have to be selective and ask the right questions. A too good to be true deal – usually is too good to be true.
Merry
Premier Sportscars Co.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:34 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fairly simple. If you think premier is over priced, don't buy from them. I mean come on guys, that's nothing but envy that they know how to turn a profit.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:55 AM
harryb
Advanced

Abalto:

I bought privately too, and got a good deal ('96 993TT mint, 8k miles, $75K). But I think there are some customers that are willing to pay a premium to buy from a dealer. While I personally would prefer to shop for and buy a bargain, I don't hold it against a dealer for trying to turn a profit, or a consumer who is willing to pay more to get what he wants without as much shopping or risk. Of course car dealers, like every other industry, are trying to buy as low as they can....and sell as high as the market will pay.

harry
Old 11-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abalto,

I'm not trying to defend any dealer, but there's a flip side to your argument. For many of us, time is more valuable, and difficult to come by, than money (strange twist of fate, aye?). So, spending a few thousand more may be worth it if it saves you countless hours spent searching for the perfect car.

Having said that, I just bought a mint, concours-winning 1992 MB 500E directly from a wonderful enthusiast who had truly babied it. One of the most enjoyable purchases of my life.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Anir is makes a really good point .. for fanatics like us, it would be terrible to spend a $7k premium to a dealer to locate a car. But, what if you just want an almost-new TT and dont have the time or knowledge of how to find one. Obviously we are the people that would like to find the seller dircectly b/c we know a dealer doesnt really do that much to make the car better, but one does not have the time, or doesnt care about money, they can just pay the $85k. For dealers like Mary, the 993tt is the best thing to ever happen .. a car that everyone would like to be able to buy new and is not made anymore.
As my economics professor used to say "the irrational will be quickly purged of their wealth"
Old 11-06-2004, 10:03 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by abalto
I think we should boycott dealers that are greedy and just buy private. If we all did just this, these kinds of dealers wouldn't do what they do.
So much for capitalism, geeez....its not as if these dealerships are selling salvage title crap. I'm sure some are and thats unfortunate, but several like RPM, Premier and others are known for good product and if someone wants to pay it so what, their going to pay retail. There is a market for these cars and its holding well. So whats the problem with that. Saying dealerships are greedy.........do you shop at Costco or other discount retailers that sell in bulk ? If so, maybe you should boycott them!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 03:51 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone remember the law of supply & demand? I think Premier can charge whatever they want. If no one buys the car then the price will come down. I hope they get their prices because that means my car is worth just a little bit more. Don't we live in a capitalist society? All companies are in business to make money. If Premier or anyone else gouges the customer, then they won't have many customers in the long run. Porsches are not like insulin, you don't have to have one. Dealerships are no more or less greedy than anyone else. They charge as much as the buyer is willing to pay.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:29 AM
tjnif993t
Instructor

Whether its a dealer or an individual It is their property,they own it or thats "what they are in buisness for"! I certainly would not want someone to tell me how to run my buisness and make less $$$$?????? Boy,that makes sense....! Buy low and sell high! Why don't we all sell our cars and other possesions and give up ,lets say a measlely 2% of our incomes a year and help the truly needy....well come on ,whats the matter. We should look in our own backyards and see what we can change about ourselves instead of silly posts like these, defining what someone else should be doing.....my 02.....
Old 11-10-2004, 01:29 AM
dbtk
Instructor

Default I agree--it's a free market...

if Premier can get those prices and associated premiums, more power to them. I searched for months until I found one from a private seller. While mine has 40K miles I was able to secure it for well under what dealers are charging. I may not have gotten it right away but with perservence I was able to find one at a price I felt was a good deal.

Quick Reply: Dealer Markups on 993 Turbo's