Sponsored by:

I need help setting the valve timing in 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 PM
pinogg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need help setting the valve timing in 993

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to set the timing in my 993. I have an early production 993 so I have the old style sprocket with pin. I am trying to use the dial guage but my hydrolic lifters make it impossible. I tried using a hand modified lifter and that helps somewhat but how do I know I'm right on and what is 0 clearence. If someone could shed some light here I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

First off, you need to replace that hydraulic insert with a solid, mechanical doo-dad of some kind to establish zero lash. Zero lash is important in setting valve timing..

If I may ask, what brought you resetting valve timing?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Howard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could replace the rockers at 1 and 4 with the old style solid rockers. The rocker shaft is the same diameter so it will work. Then set the cam timing and replace the rockers.
The factory manual uses special tools to set cam timing on the 993. If you've changed the cams you'll have to do it manually with an indicator.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:51 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 192 Likes on 95 Posts

Zero lash means no clearance. In other words when you fit the solid 911/964 lifter to do the setting, screw the adjuster in until it touches the valve and then fractionally pre-load the valve with the screw so that it holds the valve just off the seat (like 5 thou'). Then set the dial gauge to zero on the retainer and carry on with the proceedure as normal.
Once you are done, back off the adjuster and replace the solid with the original hydraulic follower.

Quick Reply: I need help setting the valve timing in 993