Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone bought a car that needed some TLC

Folks,

I'm considering purchasing a project car and was hoping for a little advice and input. I've found a triple black 96 993TT with about 40K miles on it for sale but it needs some TLC. It's been sitting for the last couple years, outside, rarely started and rarely driven. It's been examined by a mechanic I know and trust and they say it will take at least 8K to 10K to get the car running again. I know the car needs:
- New tires
- New turbos
- Engine needs to be gone through
- Some interior parts need replacing
- Paint isn't perfect but it can be polished and buffed
- Replace plugs, hoses, wires, and all fluids
It does start and will run (sorta).

I hate to see one of these beautiful cars neglected like this so I'm tempted to try and rescue it. So - has anyone done something like this already? Any ideas what a 96TT in poor condition is worth? Any other potential problem areas to look for?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

be careful .. unless you are capable and willing to do alot of this yourself you will be shocked how fast labor bills will rise. Labor is anywhere from $70 - 125/hr and often people charge at a little over actual time. Also, dont underestimate the time involved to do bodywork and paint properly - much longer than mechanical and the differnece in quality varies lots.
Therefore, make sure you get the thing for almost "free" as it is not cheap.. also, evaluate what your goals are .. if you want to keep it forever, then maybe it works, if you want to sell it, you will never get your money back (unless u buy it for free) as a sharp buyer will pick apart every repaint, and flaw that you will never be able to make perfect.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

How much will you have to pay for the car? If it's $40k say, I'd say grab it and have fun.

I bought my RUF sight unseen from Germany. Needed LOTS of TLC because of rust issues and some other matters. I still think it's the best car I've ever bought.

Of course having Viperbob close by makes life MUCH easier.

CP
Old 09-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I would look at it this way: If it ends up costing after all TLC, less than what a well running 993TT sells for in the market by say >$5k, then it might be worth it. You will have undoubtedly more expenses than you foresee, if it has been sitting for 2 years outside, expect rusty exhaust, mufflers or catalytic converters, CV boots, most rubber joints, let alone brakes, clutch maybe etc..
Old 09-28-2004, 01:39 PM
nman413
Drifting

My car sat for quite a while in a mall before I bought it in Feb. Needed quite a bit of TLC. But I am making up for it by tracking the car. Having a blast doing it and as CP says, having Bob close by is certainly a bonus.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwayne Williams
Folks,

I know the car needs:
- New tires
- New turbos
- Engine needs to be gone through
- Some interior parts need replacing
- Paint isn't perfect but it can be polished and buffed
- Replace plugs, hoses, wires, and all fluids
It does start and will run (sorta).
It really depends on the price you can get it for. However, I will tell you I took a good running car in great condition and have:

-added 2 sets of wheels and tires
-added stage 2 hybrid turbos
-added new seats and steering wheel
-polished and buffed to my hearts content
-replaced plugs, hoses, wires, fluid

My point is, you would more than likely do all this stuff anyways (just ask Jauder) so just do it!

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If the car were in top condition with service records, it would probably be worth $60k -> $65k. Start subtracting all the stuff you know you're gonna have to do. Add a large buffer for the surprise discoveries (it will need shocks for sure, how's the clutch?). Subtract a little more because of the uncertainty factor. That's your top price for the car.

On the other hand... rescuing one of these cars has a certain "payback". And adsc4s is correct... you often wnat to replace some of that stuff anyway... even on a primo car. 400 HP sounds like a lot... until you get used to it. Ask Alice.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:45 PM
nman413
Drifting

Steve, yeah your car is stock my *** :P

How many minutes are you going to spot me?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to try and get a good look at the car this week (I've seen it, but didn't look at it like I was thinking about buying it).
Old 10-05-2004, 02:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys I dont think Bob lives close to San Antonio!
Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

ViperBob is quite a long way from San Antonio - and while I'm sure the drive wouldn't take that long in his car I'm probably going to have to find someone else to help me restore this car if I decide to pick it up. I did check it out today. Paint's not too bad, interior's not too bad, turbos are shot, tires are shot, wheels need to be painted (they're black and I'd prefer silver), and it needs brake pads. Anyone know a good source for rebuilt or stock turbos? It's gonna all come down to price now so wish me luck!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dwayne,

Run a search on Hybrid torbos and you will find that Kevin is the "go to" turbo guru here. He has a very loyal and satisified following and is willing to do some hand holding with your mechanic.

Regards,

Bill
Old 10-06-2004, 12:49 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Dwayne,

You asked if anyone had bought a 993 that needs TLC? I think our beloved John D. did. I think he fixed everything but the rotors (as it wasn't frozen). Please search the archives for his saga.

My RUF looked pristine but also needed a lot of TLC because of rust problems.

CP
Old 10-06-2004, 01:49 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dwayne. I'll buy it if you don't. HAHAHA!! My wife would kill me although she is preppin' for a garage birth.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:57 AM
No Substitute
Advanced

I'm dumping $4k into my car before I will make the first payment. (ouch!) I will need to do the brakes and rotors soon, and suspension within a year. All totaled, about $8k. Otherwise, the car is perfect....so far....and I am hopeful it will stay that way for a while. I have fallen in love with this car so while it bothers me some, it hasn't pissed me off. I will advise you that your repair estimate will likely double. Be prepared. That being understood, dive in and enjoy a very, very, cool car to look at, and drive. It truly is a work of art and engineering.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought a car that needed some TLC