Oil pressing out from intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Oil pressing out from intercooler

Well, well... it seems I still have some issues

First of all. I know that I could have some problems with my turbos since they are obviously leeking oil through the bearings. But, since I don't have any white smoke coming out of my exhaust even if the car been standing for a couple of weeks, I don't think it's such an big issue YET!

Now to my strange problem. I got oil coming out from the hoses that connects to the intercooler. When I drive normally it just about gets wet around the top end of the hoses but when I start to drive more enthusiastic it will "spray" so I have oil in more places. It's not that much but I still need to fix this. I guess that over time it will get pretty messy.

I have a theory but I thought I might ask you what you think. Could it be that my diverter valves has gone bad? I think that could explain why the oil comes out. I mean, the pressure need to be pretty big to press oil though, right!? Now if the valves don't open as they should, the pressure would build pretty fast when I close the throttle and that mey be enough... What do you think?

Btw. This issue started just on the left side. Then I removed the IC and checked everything and put it back. After that, the problem are on both sides. Strange...
Old 08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The leaking turbocharger saga continues.. Clean you intake pipes, clean, drain your intercooler, and replace you oil filters.. At the same time pull the intake tubes on the inlet side of the turbocharger and see if there is standing oil there.. Make sure that you have the latest filters from Porsche..

As far as your BOV are concerned, replace them, if the diaphram fails it CAN get recycled through your turbocharger, thus being considered as foreign object damage. You will destroy your compressor wheels.. If this has happened, then you need to check your compressor wheels..
Old 08-06-2004, 02:57 PM
993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
The leaking turbocharger saga continues.. Clean you intake pipes, clean, drain your intercooler, and replace you oil filters.. At the same time pull the intake tubes on the inlet side of the turbocharger and see if there is standing oil there.. Make sure that you have the latest filters from Porsche..

As far as your BOV are concerned, replace them, if the diaphram fails it CAN get recycled through your turbocharger, thus being considered as foreign object damage. You will destroy your compressor wheels.. If this has happened, then you need to check your compressor wheels..
Yep, it continues I know that you, and probably most of the more experienced guys here, thinks that by now I should have stopped fussing about and fixed the damn turbos. But, I'm still hoping that they're not finished. Why?

1. I have no, and never had, any smoking issues - what so ever!
2. When I removed my IC there was almost no oil in it. I didn't check the inlet tubes this time though...

In this case. The amount of oil that "sprays" out from the tubes are very small. I would guess that it's no more than half a tea spoon each side.

I have to ask - Is it possible to have bad turbos that are so bad that they need replacment BUT still have no smooking when I start the engine cold???

Sorry for beeing such an ignorant, stubborn and cheap bast*rd and thanks for your patience
Old 08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

A leaks a leak, oil passing through is a failure. We can't think of our turbochargers as having bearing failures per say.. You have to realize that the sealing ring carbons up and is cooked, the wear is located in the width of the gap. When you get up on engine RPM the exhaust pressures, pass the sealing, this added pressure forces oil through the compressor side of the sealing ring.. Thus the oil in your intake tract.. That's why I always ask, tell people to undo the intake tube and look inside.. WE should have zero oil in there... Now if you'd like to humor yourself, pull your cats, the cats are scubbing the passed oil, if you start the car, you will see the unburnt oil.. at the higher RPM's..
Old 08-09-2004, 02:47 PM
993tt
Racer

I just ordered a pair of used K-16's. The company promised me they had run under 20.000km so I hope they will be good Anyway, they promised me that if something was wrong with them, I could return them.

So now I hope that I finally can get rid of the damn oil leeking problem!

Now, if I just could figure out what to do with my old K-16's

/E

Quick Reply: Oil pressing out from intercooler