Sponsored by:

993 GT2 Flares & Body

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 PM
vrus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 GT2 Flares & Body

Does anyone know where the best place is to try and acquire the GT2 fender flares for the 993 TT ?? Anyone have an idea of price?

Does it require any other additional body work in order to make the bumpers line up or does it just bolt ontop of the existing fenders without any other work to make them blend into the body?

TB993TT: If you are reading this, I wouldnt mind your comments. I am thinking about putting this on my next 993TT and wondered how to go about doing it.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

www.gettydesign.com

You can get it in carbon fiber also.. It is basically a bolt on application. If you are adding more width and camber you will have to modify your wheel lip area..
Old 07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a perfect copy of the real thing then try your local Porsche dealer and get the real thing. They will cost a bit more than after market, but you will save money on body work and aspirin. I looked into it while I was living in Europe and the price of the fender flairs weren't that much from what I can remember. Though the GT-2 tail on the other hand was highway robbery. That I'd get after market.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:42 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

vrus
My flares were from FVD. FVD say that they had a run of flare kits made by Fokker who were OEM supplier for the original 993GT2 flares. The FVD flares were made for the narrow bodied 993RS but they will sell you the appropriate rocker sill to match the wide body. They are part# FVD 504 397 AND COST 1295Euro + 110Euro for Installtion hardware FVD 504 399A. The way the rivet recesses are shaped is different to the original but IMHO more attractive. The front flare where it drops to the sill at the back of the wheel is more curved than the original, but again, looks more modern than the original. The look is more resolved since the rocker meets the flares very neatly (unlike the original). There are no issues with stock PU Fenders, it all mates up fine. I had some nice inner wheel arch protectors fabricated (the original did without) which finish it off nicely. There is some tolerance to exactly where on your wings the arches can go - especially on the back, I had mine so that the wheels I was using were completely flush without spacers.
The people who fitted mine are renowned craftsmen - it took them about 4 months (they take their time) and it cost me about $8000. But as they say, the price is now forgotten and the quality is still very apparent. One downside to the flares is the rock chips they pick up.

and BTW you have to cut the arches if you are using wider wheels.

Last edited by TB993tt; 07-18-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:27 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tb,, I know the race GT-2's were all built on the narrow body.But I though the street 993 GT-2 was built on a turbo body. Though I do love the way yours turned out.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:28 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Biighp
I didn't know whether the race GT2s were narrow or wide body, I had presumed wide. What I was trying to say was that FVD commissioned the Flare kits which were mostly put on narrow bodied RSs and RSRs, apparently they actually sold a number of kits to Porsche Motorsports for this application. To me this gives these kits a nice bit of provenance
Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 AM
vrus
Racer

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

I am looking to basically install these fender flares, but to fill in the areas where the rivets are and make a smooth flowing body panel.

The pricing is not as high as I thought it would be, so I will most likely go forward with it. This 993TT that I am looking at needs some exterior refreshing as the paint isn't that great, so I thought I would take the opportunity to install Turbo S front spoiler and put the GT2 flares on and then have the whole car painted and water sanded.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Victor

I just ordered the GT2 fender flares, front GT2EVO bumber, rear FB quarters and CF GT2 wing as well as rear and side lightweight glass from Getty. Their prices are very reasonable and they are great to deal with. If you want to take a look at their catalogue, you can download it from MaShaw's website , they carry the same products.

I was advised by a lot of satisfied customers to go with them, but as long as you do not get the OEM, you should always expect some fitment/quality issues, you will be lucky if you don't.

If you do not want the rivets (I love them!), you have also the option to buy wide front and rear fenders instead, but it is much more expensive, maybe only worth it if you want to go with a wider base for better handling.

There are 2 or 3 types of flares, make sure you get the GT2 and not the RS, these are the ones which fit best the widebody, also get the rockers as they are not expensive and they look great. As TB said, I was also advised once to put the BBS wheels before I fit the flares so that you get perfect alignement.

The rear bumper will need to be heated and opened a bit to fit the flares.
Good luck.
Jean
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by vrus

I am looking to basically install these fender flares, but to fill in the areas where the rivets are and make a smooth flowing body panel.
vrus
A point to note about the FVD kit in relation to what you are planning above, they provide a rubber gasket which is about 5mm thick which may affect the smooth look you are after. The original GT2 arches didn't have this gasket and were more flush against the body.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:09 PM
TUNER

Call us at fvd. I put them on our 993 cab. It looks great.
Plus ours are original not a knock off.
954-977-7130
Old 07-19-2004, 02:15 PM
vrus
Racer

Jean & TB993TT: Thanks for the heads-up guys. I will have to do a little more research to make sure I end up with the correct end result.

I'll check out the FVD and getty offerings and see which one is more appropriate for what I am after.

Tuner: Will give you a call in the next couple of days to get some info. Hopefully this car I am looking at will go through and I can move forward.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 993 GT2 Flares & Body