New Upgrade Kit from manthey

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Upgrade Kit from manthey

There are still tuners who care about our old cars

Manthey is a well known racer and tuner in germany with a history of more than 13 years.

They offer a kit for the 993 tt:

. turbos (not mentioned if K24 or Hybrid)
. ECU
. additional oil cooler (not mentioned what model)
. air filter (?)
. fuel pressure regulator
. new sport clutch

they claim up to +100hp (-> 510hp) and +220Nm (stock is 540Nm -> 760Nm).
cost is 10,890 Euros including VAT for the parts.

I like the idea to package ecu, turbo, clutch.

Claimed torque number seems to be very high and even hp number seems to be a bit to high with no internal mods done to the engine.

Ruf claims 490 hp and 650Nm and they do upgrade the camshafts.
But who knows - 6 years are gone since Turbo R has been developed.

They will have an english homepage soon.

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainframe.asp

German desription:

Motor-Kit K510

In die Entwicklung dieses Motorkits floss die ganze Erfahrung von tausenden Rennkilometern, die das Team Manthey Racing mit turboaufgeladenen Rennfahrzeugen gesammelt hat, ein. Bis zu 100 PS und ein Plus von bis zu 220 Nm (abhängig von Modellversion) sind das Resultat aufwendiger Tests, die nicht nur die o.g. Performance, sondern auch Zuverlässigkeit und Langlebigkeit sicherstellen. Entwickelt und abgestimmt wurde dieses Kit auf dem modernsten MAHA-Prüfstand. Eine verbesserte Beschleunigung, ein noch souveränerer Durchzug und eine höhere Endgeschwindigkeit sind das eindrucksvoll zu er-fahrene Resultat.
Das Kit umfasst ein Ölkühlerkit, Sportluftfilter, Sportkupplung, Bi-Turbolader, geänderten Kraftstoffregler und die MM-Motronic.

Artikelnummer:

MM993-MT-TK520
Version: Turbo
Preis: 10.890,00 EUR
Montage: 2.016,08 EUR
Anmerkungen: TÜV-Eintrag und Leistungsmessung nach Aufwand
Old 07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is possible to get the 100hp, with that equipment.
However, I'm not too sure how it will affect the lifespan of the engine.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Stummel
Pro

hi rassel,

lifespan is exactly the point.

manthey claims "the ... added ... power and torque are the result of extensive tests, that guarantee not only the performance but also the reliability and the longevity..."

Manthey racing team did the 24 hours of nürburgring more than once.
If i remember correctly they had a 996 tt with 700 hp this year in the 24h nürburgring race. that sounds like they know about longevity.

i think the information on their homepage is not enough to form an opinion about the kit. perhaps other people have more information.

i only thought it was nice to still see tuners investing money in developing upgrades for our cars.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Stummel, FYI, I was quoted 9,390 Euros a couple of months back on this same 510 hp package. There must be demand! Or maybe the difference is the VAT, since you are in Germany.

The 220NM seems excessive, their 996TT 520hp package gives +150NM according to them, however all their packages have thoroughly been tested on dynos and the Nurburgring, They usually understate their numbers.

Stock rods might suffer after a while with this torque.

Jean

Last edited by Jean; 07-01-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:07 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

This kit has been up on their web site for a while, hasn't it ? The 510 hp is plausible but the boost required for 760NM is around 1.3bar @ 4500rpm. Leakage at the head joins will occur at these boost levels, flame rings would help. As Jean points out, the rods will be at risk of bending approaching 800NM.
All in all, Manthey have a good pedigree and 10K Euro is an absolute bargain for these figures, but I would read their guarantee terms very carefully
Old 07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Stummel
Pro

Jean, 9,390 is exactly the net price without german VAT (16%).

What is your opinion on the package? Know anything about the turbos or the oil cooler?

They claim 700 Nm for the 520hp package for the 996 tt. Same parts plus sport exhaust. So the 993 tt package should have less torque than the 996 tt.

What are you going to do with your GT2 Project?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Stummel

TB993TT has summarized it very well, these torque figures are very high. I don't have more details as they wouldn't release any. Had it been another tuner I would not even consider these claims, but I have to believe Manthey know what they're doing.

I am doing a full GT2 lightweight conversion with a streetable 3.8 600 hp engine, so it's full engine rebuild. Still many unknowns though.

Jean
Old 07-02-2004, 01:10 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

760NM not with 91 octane fuel. Most likely 98 super blei frei which is not available in USA. Agree with TB993, must run a lot of lead and boost to get to those figures. Without internal mods. ( rods) it may be a nickel rocket.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"
Into the development of this engine kit the whole experience of thousands running kilometers, which the team Manthey Racing with turbo-loaded running vehicles collected, flowed. Up to 100 HP and a plus of up to 220 Nm (dependent on model version) are the result of complex tests, those not only o.g. Performance, but also reliability and longevity guarantee. Was developed and co-ordinated this kit on the most modern mA hectar test stand. An improved acceleration, a still sovereign passage and a higher terminal velocity are impressive that to experienced result. The kit covers an oil cooler kit, a sport air cleaner, a sport clutch, a Bi-turbocharger, a changed fuel control unit and the Mm Motronic.
"

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

And using http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi I presume this is about US$13,400 for parts and $2400 labour plus freight or whatever?

It seems that turbos, ECU, exhaust, intake, fuel, spark, cooling don't add up to that parts cost. Add a lightweight flywheel and decent clutch and pressure plate and things start to line up.

I really like the idea of an integrated solution covering the entire car -- and a ride in a "demo" car would be proof of the pudding ...

Cheers,
Old 07-04-2004, 03:20 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe my car will just about fit the bill for the "demo car" when it's done, as these items are all being done now, we'll be posting before and after dynos and I cant wait! All work is being done by Devek(ViperBob and the Invisible Man) Will post results soon.
-CJ
Old 11-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have any further info or experience on this Manthey kit? Relative to Ruf and RS Tuning it appears to be good value for money but it seems like very aggressive figures for a bolt-on kit that doesn't change cams. I've requested a dyno graph from Manthey; I'm curious what they'll respond with.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Stummel
Pro

We had a customer on a German Forum who upgraded his 993tt. The numbers where all a bit confusing but he was very satisfied with the kit.

The price is very good including the clutch. I think the torque numbers are not right. Lets see the dyno sheet.

Manthey has first class reputation and in general are not the cheapest ones in business...

btw: the thread is 2 yrs old...
Old 11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phelix
Does anyone have any further info or experience on this Manthey kit?
E-mail posted to you last night.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Woodster
Drifting

This is a bargain and I would think (but have no way of knowing) that Manthey
would know what would be the limits of the stock internals and stay away from
that limit. Jim the Excon said gas will be important which is probably critical.

MK
Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kevin, what do you think?

Quick Reply: New Upgrade Kit from manthey