Sponsored by:

Preliminary PPI Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Rbtrader
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary PPI Report

I have not yet seen the written report, but any thoughts on the preliminary report I got from the dealer doing a pre-purchase inspection on a 96 993 Turbo I am looking at:

1. New tires but not recommended by Porsche (not N rated). I am in
the process of finding out what they are. Do non-N rated tires effect the handling, tire wear, etc?

2. Valve cover gasket leak and slight seep at timing chain cover.

3. Door check strap weld broken.

4. "Air Fan" resister bad ???

5. Passenger seat cable binding.

6. Hood shocks need replacement.

7. Brake fluid needs changing.

8. Window switches not working well.

9. K&N air filter dirty.

On the other hand, the car road teats well, shows no sign of body damage or paint work, is all stock with a very clean interior, and no wheel damage. A very clean car that overall shows well with service records.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Any of the above problems to be expected on a 35K+ mile car?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Preliminary PPI Report

>> 1. New tires but not recommended by Porsche (not N rated). I am in
the process of finding out what they are. Do non-N rated tires effect the handling, tire wear, etc?

That is probably ok. Just find out what sizes they are, the brand, how many miles and how many years they'be been on the car. Porsches eat tires, so you will probably need to change tires soon anyways.

>> 2. Valve cover gasket leak and slight seep at timing chain cover.
Here's a diy: http://p-car.com/diy/valvecover/
Or you can ask the dealer to change it for you. Or even better, ask the seller to do it for you.

>> 3. Door check strap weld broken.
Common problem with 993's. Requires rewelding and then repainting. Some dealers have fixed this free of charge as part of good will. But it's not the case always.

>> 4. "Air Fan" resister bad ???
Common problem with 993's. Easy to fix, but requires about 2 hours of labor and a $30 part. You should also change the AC resistor at the same time. It's the same part, just on the other side of the car.

>> 5. Passenger seat cable binding.
I don't have power seats, but this will probably help you: http://p-car.com/diy/seatshaft/

>> 6. Hood shocks need replacement.
Another easy thing to fix. http://p-car.com/diy/hoodshock/ $30 for parts and 1 hour for labor. Make sure to check the engine lid shocks too.

>> 7. Brake fluid needs changing.
This shoudl be changed every 2 years any ways. I'd recommend that if you do end up getting this car, to change/flush all the fluids.

>> 8. Window switches not working well.
Hmm... I hope this is not a larger electrical problems. Switches themselves are very cheap and easy to fix.

>> 9. K&N air filter dirty.
On a TT? That's a bit unusual. I'd like to see how that setup is. Normally people don't replace their air filter beucase it creates additoinal air flow problems.

>> Any thoughts are appreciated. Any of the above problems to be expected on a 35K+ mile car?

Do you have pictures? Also was a compression/leakdown test done? I'm actually a bit concerned about the surface level of this PPI. It seems strange that only the "common" problems came up in the PPI. Was the 30K done? Were the plugs changed? What about distributor belts? Brakes and rotors ok? Any other mods? Any oil leaks?

And then there are specific TT issues: Has the ECU been upgraded? What are the condition of the turbos? Are they krusty looking? Seeping oil? Was there evidence of hot shutdown? Have the turbo tubes been upgraded? When you drive the car, do you get over 0.5 bar?

Then there are options: Did you have the sport seats?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, also, check out http://www.993tt.com for more info.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you buy the car, get rid of the K&N filter. They have been known for causing problems with the rubber gasket around them falling apart. And with a Turbo, there are no advantages to using these filters.

Rick

www.993tt.com
Old 06-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And with a _______, there are no advantages to using these filters.

good luck with the car. I am looking for one myself.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:15 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like the owner let the preventative maintenance go and doesn't care enough to fix what is broken.

Could be a good car but you need to do more investigating.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by 993_996_enthusiast
Sounds like the owner let the preventative maintenance go and doesn't care enough to fix what is broken.

Could be a good car but you need to do more investigating.
My thoughts exactly.. Look into the maintenance history. This car may have been neglected somewhat..

Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Rbtrader
AutoX

I received the whole list and estimates. The brand new front tires are So3's, and the rear are nearly new So2''s. TireRack told me they could not believe a tire store would ever do that.

The estimate for the door check strap is $500. Is that a realistic price? It seems high to me.

The total for the two oil leaks, check strap, resistors, tires, window switches, etc is $5700. When one of these TT's is inspected is this typical of the amount of stuff they find. I can't decide if I should negotiate hard to put this deal together or pass and wait for another one. I would hate to do another inspection and find out that this is a typical list of issues to deal with.

The can is great cosmetically, and has a well documented service history.
Thanks in advance for some input!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 529 Posts

Mixing of SO-2s and SO-3s has been discussed on this board many times. SO-2s are really tough to get and there tend to be long lead times. I have SO-2s in front and SO-3s in the rear. I will definitely replace my SO-2s with SO-3s once they wear out. I found absolutely no difference in handling characteristics of the car - on the track or off the track. Maybe I'm just not a good enough driver to feel the difference.

With respect to the $5,700 bill, I would be more concerned about the car not having been maintained in general. If I ever had an oil leak, or broken window switch, I would get it fixed right away. But then, other than the carbon build up issue, these cars tend to be bullet proof.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rb,

Jeff has put it all together for you.

No, you should not pay for any of the known problems with the car. That is what the PPI is all about. If you can get the deal you want go for it.

Quick Reply: Preliminary PPI Report