Sponsored by:

Turbo heat shield orientation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 09:32 AM
braekk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo heat shield orientation

Quick question. Should the heat shield be oriented as pictured, or rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise? Was mounted 90 degrees anti-clockwise from pictured, but I thought it looked off as it then doesn’t prevent heat from the muffler hitting the turbo. Right side of vehicle.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The way you have them pictured is wrong, needs to be turn 90 anti clockwise as you say. More to protect the engine/valve covers, mufflers aren’t really affected by radiant heat.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Here’s a pic of the right of one of my engines. You’re right the other side has a flat surface that separates the turbo from muffler, not sure why.

Last edited by Basal Skull; 01-07-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:11 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

My second/spare motor
Old 01-07-2024, 04:16 PM
braekk
Track Day

@Basal Skull
Thanks.
That’s what I noticed too. On the left side the shield is lower between the muffler and the turbo. But then I will take it back to how it was mounted before.
Just replaced hoses between turbos and intercoolers plus som other small bits.
Can I have one of your spares?
Old 01-08-2024, 01:46 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The best hoses I’ve tried are these - they are a bit longer than stock (thicker too) which makes them purchase better.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

Spares are handy. The second motor I want to drop into a g series one day.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:14 PM
braekk
Track Day

@Basal Skull
I put on OEM hoses, but with constant tension clamps on both ends. I see your point. The oem ones are a hair short.
I also removed correctors on the lambda sensor after the cats. The engine had some mods previously, but is now back to stock. I guess they are to avoid CEL. Will these correctors have any effect on the performance of the engine? Or does the ECU use only before cats lambdas as an input?
Old 01-08-2024, 10:40 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by braekk
@Basal Skull
I put on OEM hoses, but with constant tension clamps on both ends. I see your point. The oem ones are a hair short.
I also removed correctors on the lambda sensor after the cats. The engine had some mods previously, but is now back to stock. I guess they are to avoid CEL. Will these correctors have any effect on the performance of the engine? Or does the ECU use only before cats lambdas as an input?
I don’t believe the post cat O2 sensors affect performance of the engine. I always fuss that a CEL may pull boost and put the car in limp mode, although a post cat sensor triggered CEL should just be emission related. I am not sure what you mean by corrector? Connector? Or do you mean a spacer to prevent a CEL , and you’ve removed them as you’re back to stock? Spacers should do nothing to performance. They do help prevent CEL tho.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:21 AM
braekk
Track Day

@Basal Skull
Sorry. Meant spacers. They were called correctors on a site a buy parts… I shouldn’t need them with the engine being stock. But will find out when spring arrives

Last edited by braekk; 01-09-2024 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo heat shield orientation