Sponsored by:

Pricing of this car…

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 11:42 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default Pricing of this car…

I was reading the description of this car and started digging…

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...ff=share_other

It mentions the car was in a collision, but was repaired to a high standard. Here is what i found…

In May of 2009 the car was purchased by its second owner, who brought the car up to Wisconsin. Likely unacquainted with sheer ferocity of a 993 Turbo, CARFAX reports that the car was in an accident damaging the left side of the car in July of that year with 11,506 miles on the clock. A copy of the insurance claim estimate details the recommended repairs to the front bumper, left front fender, left door, left rocker, and left pillar hinges. The total estimated repairs came to $15,957.82.

So ZWECK is asking $250k for this car? I guess the mileage is pretty low.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:06 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Just my opinion, but once they mention door and rocker and pillar... not a 250k car anymore in my eyes, low miles or not. The car should now be in the "driver" category, yet priced as a "garage queen".

But again, you need to decide why you are buying it, driver or shinny investment. It may be a fine driver, but $250k is a steep driver price. But with such low miles, turning it into a driver will also not make it an investment (at the same level) anymore.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Yeah, makes zero sense to me either. But it seems like everything they (ZWECK) sell is massively overpriced.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:39 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts

I would pass
Old 10-23-2023, 08:49 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 180 Posts

I was told by one of our esteemed members that 50-70% of existing 993 tt have seen some damage. Just because someone says the car has never been in an accident doesn't make it so and carfax doesn't catch everything, Just saying. Let's be honest there is a plateau on these cars where they won't drop below x value regardless of miles or accident. If you're buying it for yourself buy what you like and drive it and enjoy it. Buying a car as an investment? Park your money in real estate and you're more likely to get much higher returns in a shorter period of time.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (10-25-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 09:31 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

I wouldn't rule out a car like that, but the price doesn't make sense, so I'd pass based on that.
robmypro (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
I was told by one of our esteemed members that 50-70% of existing 993 tt have seen some damage.
That esteemed guess percentage seems very high to me. Were they trying to sell you a car?
Old 10-25-2023, 02:20 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
That esteemed guess percentage seems very high to me. Were they trying to sell you a car?
No he’s well known in our little forum to wrench on our 993s 964s. He’s seen a lot of them over the last 30 years. He is currently working on my 993.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

If the bumper was resprayed that's one thing. but this one sounds like it took significant damage, and at this price makes zero sense to me.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:28 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
If the bumper was resprayed that's one thing. but this one sounds like it took significant damage, and at this price makes zero sense to me.
Right, I agree with you. But what Kevin was stating was that he's seen some horror stories. Cars that were stated as accident free and clean that had significant damage. Almost made me want to puke with the stories he was telling. Fortunately, my car did not turn out to be an added story, but I was on pins and needles until he called me to tell me otherwise. What I'm getting at, is that I would rather have someone disclose the car completely and accurately rather than not say something and hope I don't find anything (which happens all too often). He concluded his story with a "Jorge, I don't think you have the stomach for old cars". To which I agree with him and happy that I only have the one. And in regards to European cars that you were looking at earlier. He said a lot of those cars have been abused and are rust buckets underneath and in fact Europeans are buying our US cars to import them back into Europe as they are on average cleaner cars. I'm not a vintage guy, don't claim to be one. But Kevin has significant knowledge on these cars.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Right, I agree with you. But what Kevin was stating was that he's seen some horror stories. Cars that were stated as accident free and clean that had significant damage. Almost made me want to puke with the stories he was telling. Fortunately, my car did not turn out to be an added story, but I was on pins and needles until he called me to tell me otherwise. What I'm getting at, is that I would rather have someone disclose the car completely and accurately rather than not say something and hope I don't find anything (which happens all too often). He concluded his story with a "Jorge, I don't think you have the stomach for old cars". To which I agree with him and happy that I only have the one. And in regards to European cars that you were looking at earlier. He said a lot of those cars have been abused and are rust buckets underneath and in fact Europeans are buying our US cars to import them back into Europe as they are on average cleaner cars. I'm not a vintage guy, don't claim to be one. But Kevin has significant knowledge on these cars.
This is something that makes it hard to pull the trigger on these cars. Will a PPI really uncover this stuff? These cars are worth so much today that the incentive to lie about these things is super high. Buyer beware.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:46 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

This is something that makes it hard to pull the trigger on these cars. Will a PPI really uncover this stuff? These cars are worth so kuch today that the incentive to lie about these things is super high. Buyer beware.
Not necessarily, I had the car shipped to my parents in Northern Nevada while my garage had some lifts go in. Was given a recommendation for a shop for a PPI, called the shop asked how much a PPI was. They told me $1k I asked if that included compression test and leak down, they said yes. Was charged $1600 for just a compression test and a few notes. Asked why the leak down wasn't performed they replied because the compression was good. And they missed about 90% of what Kevin caught onto. Felt like I just gave a donation to the shop. At least I got the car out of their hands before any more questionable work was performed. So unless they are a great shop I don't think they will catch on or care to look all that closely.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Not necessarily, I had the car shipped to my parents in Northern Nevada while my garage had some lifts go in. Was given a recommendation for a shop for a PPI, called the shop asked how much a PPI was. They told me $1k I asked if that included compression test and leak down, they said yes. Was charged $1600 for just a compression test and a few notes. Asked why the leak down wasn't performed they replied because the compression was good. And they missed about 90% of what Kevin caught onto. Felt like I just gave a donation to the shop. At least I got the car out of their hands before any more questionable work was performed. So unless they are a great shop I don't think they will catch on or care to look all that closely.
That is sobering.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:01 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

That is sobering.
Indeed it is, in the watch community we always say buy the seller. The problem here is that the seller may not necessarily know. I'm not trying to scare you from buying a 993tt as it is an awesome car. However, go into it with both eyes open and don't be so discouraged if there are some issues. These cars have been on the road for close to 30 years. Anything can be fixed, it's just going to cost you on top of the car. It's not like buying a newer car. If I buy it and if anything goes wrong it's probably under warranty and if it is not they are more shops qualified to work on the water cooled vs the air cooled.
robmypro (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 05:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Indeed it is, in the watch community we always say buy the seller. The problem here is that the seller may not necessarily know. I'm not trying to scare you from buying a 993tt as it is an awesome car. However, go into it with both eyes open and don't be so discouraged if there are some issues. These cars have been on the road for close to 30 years. Anything can be fixed, it's just going to cost you on top of the car. It's not like buying a newer car. If I buy it and if anything goes wrong it's probably under warranty and if it is not they are more shops qualified to work on the water cooled vs the air cooled.
All good points. I appreciate the info. Super helpful.

Quick Reply: Pricing of this car…