Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE Tuning introduces K24 kit and AWE/Mcneil Competition Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWE Tuning introduces K24 kit and AWE/Mcneil Competition Exhaust.

AWE Tuning is proud to introduce our 520hp kit using Borg-Warner K24 turbos. In addition to these un-modified turbos, GIAC software is used to achieve these dyno proven power levels using GIAC software. Their programming is the key to unlocking the potential of the 993TT. These increases do not require any internal engine modifications.

One of the benefits of using an off the shelf turbo that is designed for the car will help keep turbo lag to a minimum. We have seen that many hybrid turbo's take too long to spool and low end torque suffers.

***All of these figures have been dyno tested on our Mustang All Wheel Drive Chassis Dyno. We do not disconnect the front driveshaft to see these figures***

If you are looking for the ultimate in exhaust systems, our legendary fabricator Kenny Mcneil has your answer.

AWE/Mcneil Competition has produced a line of exhaust headers and mufflers that will completely surpass the competition in both flow and longevity.

These are hand built systems weighing 32 lbs. less than stock. Another feature of our systems is the use of a 300 cell catalyst. These cats are designed for U.S. spec emissions and will not cause a check engine light.

We have dynoed the 100 cell Euro cats and have seen that these are not worth the performance gain at the risk of an emissions fault. The difference is less than 3 hp!

Along with the mufflers, AWE/Mcneil uses a groundbreaking header design. As with all the AWE/McNeil Competition headers, an anti-reversion collector is used, to minimize exhaust gas velocity losses to other cylinders during cam overlap.

****Demo Video of AWE/Mcneil Exhaust and Turbo Kit***** (right click/save as)

We do have additioinal pictures and dyno graphs on our web site.

Please click the links below.

AWE Tuning/Mcneil Comp. Headers and Exhaust

AWE Tuning K24 Turbo kit

My email is mike@awe-tuning.com. I can also be reached at the phone # below.

Thank you and have a great day.

Last edited by Mike/A.W.E.; 05-25-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

That looks great.... Is there any chance for a similar exhaust /header system for the normally aspirated 993 engine?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally posted by DJF1
That looks great.... Is there any chance for a similar exhaust /header system for the normally aspirated 993 engine?
Yes we do. We are currently building the website for the NA cars.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:40 PM
mjims
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

This all looks remarkably well researched and fabulously crafted. It's good to see that companies are still researching and producing new technologies for the 993TT even now.

Although I'm sure that the established tuning methods and results on these cars makes it a harder and a more critical audience to sell too.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask, if you would care to remark. I feel your honests answers would benefit all who read this web forum.

Your kit looks to comprise of basically, k24 turbos, exhaust headers and exhaust pipes, plus specifically mapped replacement ECU.

You claim a bolt on upgrade to 520bhp utilising 1.1bar boost.

In my very limited experience with my own 993TT and the tuning investigations I have undertaken toward the modifications to my own car I am having difficulty in believing these claims.

Do you not modify the Fuel Injectors or Fuel Pressure in any way?

Do you not modify the Air intake system in any way?

I note from your dyno video that the car you are running benefits from a uprated 'V' groove intercooler. Are you saying that this is the car in which you obtained the power figure of 520bhp? if so how can you substanciate these power figures for customers with an otherwise standard TT?

1.1Bar boost appears (IMHO) to be a little high for this amount power. My research leads me to believe that this HP with K24's should be attained with as little as 0.9 - 0.95 Bar Boost. This would actually infer that your exhaust system is infact 'less' efficient than the current exhausts on the market (CarGraphic, fabspeed fvd etc.)

I cannot make out from any of your photo's whether your exhaust system has plumbing for the secondary lambda sensors. The 993TT has a secondary set of lambda sensors set after the Cats for monitoring the Cats efficiency. Do these need to be removed in order to fit your exhausts and as such is this a recommended modification considering your claims to the efficiency of your 300cel Cats?

On the standard 993TT headers, the output collective manifold that the Turbos bolt to is the diameter of a standard K16 Turbo exhaust manifold and as such this is the compromise of fitting a full K24 Turbo directly onto a standard Manifold.

Do your manifold have a larger diameter collective to fit directly a 'full' K24 Turbo?

Can you produce a graph which shows boost pressure at particular engine speeds so as to prove your spool up benefits.

Please don't take any of the questions as a negative or critical.

I am initially impressed at your systems and if convinced on your findings I would be quite willing to purchase your exhaust systems etc. just want to make sure before spending that large amount of money.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your honest and constructive comments.

All the best, and well done.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the great posts Mike and Jim.

I look forward to the added details and approximate costs.

Regards,

Bill
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Great post. I have some answers.

Originally posted by mjims
Mike,

This all looks remarkably well researched and fabulously crafted. It's good to see that companies are still researching and producing new technologies for the 993TT even now.
Thank you. There is enormous respect for the 993 cars at AWE Tuning.

Although I'm sure that the established tuning methods and results on these cars makes it a harder and a more critical audience to sell too.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask, if you would care to remark. I feel your honests answers would benefit all who read this web forum.

Your kit looks to comprise of basically, k24 turbos, exhaust headers and exhaust pipes, plus specifically mapped replacement ECU.

You claim a bolt on upgrade to 520bhp utilising 1.1bar boost.

In my very limited experience with my own 993TT and the tuning investigations I have undertaken toward the modifications to my own car I am having difficulty in believing these claims.

Do you not modify the Fuel Injectors or Fuel Pressure in any way?

Do you not modify the Air intake system in any way?.
The boost is an average 1.1bar. This is not sustained boost to redline. If the car was holding that boost all the way to redline, your turbo life would be measured in months rather than years. The car will spike to 1.1 then taper down. This is typical of GIAC programming.

We did extensive testing and found that the common 5 bar FPR
modification causes a rich condition resulting is less power.

Our Motec wideband was reading a consistent 11.6:1 AFR midrun ending at
12.1:1 with the OEM 3.8 bar FPR. With the 5 bar we would start in the
high 10's and end in the low 11's.

Intake remained stock.

We have found that the 5 bar FPR was a stop gap fix for more fueling on
older generation DME tuning, but the new generation of chips, especially
from GIAC, do not need this hardware crutch to produce sufficient
fueling for this power level.

I note from your dyno video that the car you are running benefits from a uprated 'V' groove intercooler. Are you saying that this is the car in which you obtained the power figure of 520bhp? if so how can you substanciate these power figures for customers with an otherwise standard TT?
All of the cars that we dynoed were producing similar results with both the stock and aftermarket intercooler. Will an intercooler help? Yes, we feel that a properly designed intercooler will help with heatsoak from prolonged boost. ie. Hot day at a track event.

1.1Bar boost appears (IMHO) to be a little high for this amount power. My research leads me to believe that this HP with K24's should be attained with as little as 0.9 - 0.95 Bar Boost. This would actually infer that your exhaust system is infact 'less' efficient than the current exhausts on the market (CarGraphic, fabspeed fvd etc.)
Average 1.1 bar. See above.

I cannot make out from any of your photo's whether your exhaust system has plumbing for the secondary lambda sensors. The 993TT has a secondary set of lambda sensors set after the Cats for monitoring the Cats efficiency. Do these need to be removed in order to fit your exhausts and as such is this a recommended modification considering your claims to the efficiency of your 300cel Cats?
No Sir. Our fabricator designed the system where the primary cat is actually in the muffler. The second O2 is threaded in a bung that is on the side of the muffler can. See the pics below.

On the standard 993TT headers, the output collective manifold that the Turbos bolt to is the diameter of a standard K16 Turbo exhaust manifold and as such this is the compromise of fitting a full K24 Turbo directly onto a standard Manifold.

Do your manifold have a larger diameter collective to fit directly a 'full' K24 Turbo?
Absolutely. Our fabricator, Kenny Mcneil, had the header flange designed with the K24 in mind. We are aware of the the K16's casting being choked down just past the flange.

Can you produce a graph which shows boost pressure at particular engine speeds so as to prove your spool up benefits.
I will need more time to search on the dyno computer, but here is a dyno plot showing the power coming on sooner with our system versus stock.

Please don't take any of the questions as a negative or critical.
Certainly not. We were expecting questions such as these.

I am initially impressed at your systems and if convinced on your findings I would be quite willing to purchase your exhaust systems etc. just want to make sure before spending that large amount of money.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your honest and constructive comments.

All the best, and well done
My pleasure. I commend your style and approach. Well done.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Mike,

Did you try an adjustable FPR? These go up to 5 bar, but allow tuning for the amount of modifications. I use them all the time. As you stated, just throwing in a 5 bar FPR may work, but in many cases it may not.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the sound of the exhaust. Any plans to sell the mufflers by themselves? I have no need for 520HP. Really, I have no need for 400HP, but that's another story ....

EDIT: The car on the dyno ... did it have a beige interior? I thought I saw it in Morristown yesterday, sounded like it, anyway!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 AM
hatchy
Racer

On the graph, the baseline run was 370hp, where as the run with all the goodies was at 400.8 hp. So this begs the question: What does a stock 993TT pull on your Mustang dyno under similar conditions?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:09 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting stuff Mike but in every case I've seen the Hybrid's will have _less_ lag than standard K24s. The bigger wheel (say a K24) popped into a smaller hot side housing (K16) will always spool up first. I've gone up against K24 based cars when I had K16 hot side based turbos and always been a few car lengths ahead all the way till the top end. Only at the top end will the larger hot side difference show. Maybe not all hybrid's are made equal but I'm just speaking from my experience. I could have gotten hybrid's with K24 hot sides but after driving a chipped X50 with K24s as much as I liked the top end, the lag swayed me over to the K16 hot side.

All of CJV's big turbos have usually been based on K16 hot sides for that same reason- to avoid lag.

I think that's why we've been seeing so many K24s show up on Ebay as of the last few months, no?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:43 AM
mjims
Instructor

Your synopsis would suggest that the Ultimate Turbo for a 993TT would be a K16/K24 hybrid running on the AWE header, with the exhaust turbine ported out to match the larger bore of the Header. The larger K24 Wastgates would be a help here too?

Kevin would probably have a knowledgable input on this.

His Ceramic Zero Clearence Turbos are getting some rave reveiws on this board.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:57 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

As I mentioned in another thread, I am very impressed and grateful for AWE putting the effort into developing new parts for these old cars
Having said that I too am a little confused with the readings from the Mustang dyno, what does a stock 993tt give ?
It all depends on exactly what the turbos are, but if they are the K24s as used on the Euro 450ps turbo S, then without cams, in my limited experience I would guess at no more than 490hp for this set up - this is not to be sniffed at, a true 490hp 993tt with Motronic enhanced torque curve will be a fast car. To go north of 500hp (ON A 993TT) seems to require cams and the bigger hot side, some call it KKK1626, but I,m sure Kevin can elaborate further.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Beautiful craftsmanship Mike! Thanks for sharing with us.

I have a hard time understanding however how TB with his mods involving from turbos to cams to 3.8 (if I remember well), twin plug, intercooler etc.. has an output of 522hp while this package gets you there with probably half the expense, and RS Tuning is no amateur. Can someone shed some light?

Jim, great post..and nice collection of bikes!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:07 AM
mjims
Instructor

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, most informative.

I've just thought of a few other things.

Do you have any heat sheilding? or attachments to allow the standard Heat shields to fit where possible?

Would your Headers fit on their own? Do the Heat exchanger pipes fit the standard silicon joints etc. and plumbing?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally posted by robroy72
I like the sound of the exhaust. Any plans to sell the mufflers by themselves? I have no need for 520HP. Really, I have no need for 400HP, but that's another story ....

EDIT: The car on the dyno ... did it have a beige interior? I thought I saw it in Morristown yesterday, sounded like it, anyway!
Mufflers are available alone. Pricing is on our website.
AWE/Mcneil Muffler Pricing

The car on the dyno had a black interior.

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning introduces K24 kit and AWE/Mcneil Competition Exhaust.