Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to California...What should I know about emissions testing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 11:12 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moving to California...What should I know about emissions testing??

Hello guys, long time no posting, I recognize some of you from way before. I still have my beloved dream car, a 1993 America Roadster (C2 wide body) with 993TT drive train. Here in Idaho I pass emissions spectacularly having very little pollution compared to the allowed every time with the sniffers since I don't have OBD2 for my model year. Gonna retire in the next few years and wanting to move back to Cali. Lots of questions surrounding my garage queen. I've been reading the forums and googled but have some specifics questions that hopefully will be answered....

Is the "visual" test to check that all components of emissions are present, or is it comparing my current engine bay to what a 1993 C2 engine is suppose to look like? My engine bay is shoehorned with 993TT. If they see its different am I hosed??

What exactly are the emission components of the 993 Turbo? I get that there should be cats and O2 sensors, but what else? Is there a charcoal canister? Air pump? What else am I missing?

If my engine is from a 1996TT and my car is a 1993 chassis, and it passes sniffer quite nicely here in Idaho, Does it seem I will be ok in Cali??

Almost forgot to mention, It has the Ruf turbo R conversion (ecu, cams, back-dated cam sprocket, turbos, air filter) but it still passes the sniffer very well

thanks in advance

Jaime

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 04-06-2023 at 11:18 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:15 AM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I would registered the car in Montana and avoid CA emission BS.

My .02 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by C4Spolar:
usctrojanGT3 (04-12-2023), User 81423 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:26 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Hello guys, long time no posting, I recognize some of you from way before. I still have my beloved dream car, a 1993 America Roadster (C2 wide body) with 993TT drive train. Here in Idaho I pass emissions spectacularly having very little pollution compared to the allowed every time with the sniffers since I don't have OBD2 for my model year. Gonna retire in the next few years and wanting to move back to Cali. Lots of questions surrounding my garage queen. I've been reading the forums and googled but have some specifics questions that hopefully will be answered....

Is the "visual" test to check that all components of emissions are present, or is it comparing my current engine bay to what a 1993 C2 engine is suppose to look like? My engine bay is shoehorned with 993TT. If they see its different am I hosed??

What exactly are the emission components of the 993 Turbo? I get that there should be cats and O2 sensors, but what else? Is there a charcoal canister? Air pump? What else am I missing?

If my engine is from a 1996TT and my car is a 1993 chassis, and it passes sniffer quite nicely here in Idaho, Does it seem I will be ok in Cali??

Almost forgot to mention, It has the Ruf turbo R conversion (ecu, cams, back-dated cam sprocket, turbos, air filter) but it still passes the sniffer very well

thanks in advance

Jaime
@ttAmerica RoadsterAWD My guess is that there is no way that car will pass a CA SMOG test. The visual inspection means they will visually inspect the engine (not just the exhaust system) and make sure all parts are factory parts or have CARB exemption. Since you have an engine swap and or modified engine, you will not pass. An even bigger problem is trying to find a shop that would be willing to SMOG it. I have a 1990 VW Corrado which is heavily modified and has all the CARB exemption papers for all the parts and no one wants to SMOG it.
For your car, I’m not saying it is impossible, it’s just going to be very difficult. I would call a SMOG shop and/or a referee station to explain your car to them and seek guidance.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:46 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
I would registered the car in Montana and avoid CA emission BS.

My .02 cents.
How do you register a car in Montana if you don't live there?

I agree with GianniG60, you will not pass Ca. smog with your set-up.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:19 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford

I have a car and a trailer registered in Montana and I live in Canada, go figure.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:04 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you all. well, that sucks.....
Old 04-08-2023, 06:00 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
I have a car and a trailer registered in Montana and I live in Canada, go figure.
Don't you need an address to register in another state?
Old 04-12-2023, 01:35 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Get a Montana LLC, problem solved.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:25 PM
tootrn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you get it registered in Montana when you move to Cali you have 20 days to register it and more than likely you will have to go to a State Referee to have it inspected and smogged.
Here in Cali they're able check if your ecu has been modified which is not allowed. And they go by engine year since your engine is a TT your car will have to have AWD. I learned that the
hard way. I have a '96 C4S converted it to a GT2 including '96TT motor and FWD delete. Had to bring it to a State Referee because of the engine swap, regular smog stations wouldn't test it.
Had to reinstall FWD before it would pass.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:36 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts

I would move
Old 04-14-2023, 09:17 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

come to Florida no problems here
Old 04-17-2023, 12:31 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume you saw this link already.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/smog...engine-changes

Probably makes sense to contact the BAR referee to better understand, because I read this that just because and engine is swapped doesn't mean it is automatically disqualified. If the engine itself passes CA smog, you just have to jump through a few hoops.

FWIW, I have a 993 turbo that has been modified with larger turbos and a tuned ECU, passes no problem. It's going to Germany for a full Turbo R conversion later this year so hopefully will still pass when it comes back lol.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:17 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tootrn
Even if you get it registered in Montana when you move to Cali you have 20 days to register it and more than likely you will have to go to a State Referee to have it inspected and smogged.
Here in Cali they're able check if your ecu has been modified which is not allowed. And they go by engine year since your engine is a TT your car will have to have AWD. I learned that the
hard way. I have a '96 C4S converted it to a GT2 including '96TT motor and FWD delete. Had to bring it to a State Referee because of the engine swap, regular smog stations wouldn't test it.
Had to reinstall FWD before it would pass.
The 993 bosch ecu is too old for them to check to see if modified. I consulted with several recognized experts.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:51 PM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/07/2...icense-plates/
Old 05-03-2023, 10:34 AM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Amazing how many Montana plates at Luftgekhuhlt 9 in SF last weekend especially rare high end air-cooled 911's.

Quick Reply: Moving to California...What should I know about emissions testing??