Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a 993 turbo specific oil change write up…

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 08:30 AM
turdfarmer
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone with a 993 turbo specific oil change write up…

Seems like our cars have officially turned old and rare enough that there’s no longer an easy online diy with photos for changing our oil anymore.

anyone have one?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:21 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Just use any 993 NA diy you can find. The only thing different to add is draining the turbos which just needs a hex driver to remove the obvious drain plug in the bottom main surface
The following users liked this post:
turdfarmer (06-25-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 12:38 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

There's so little oil in the turbos and most of us change our oil so frequently, I don't think the independents bother draining the turbos.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup, nothing too special about oil changes on a turbo vs NA car. I do drain the oil sumps on the turbos just because it gets every drop out but I also pull the oil feed line that is just below the secondary filter because that lets out quite a bit more oil. All the usual rules apply, be really careful on the refill since the oil goes in really slowly once there are a few quarts in and the filler tube can overflow. Prime the filters by cranking with the DME relay out before startup - I usually do that after 7 or 8 quarts in the tank, crank until you see say 2 bar on the oil pressure gauge. When draining the engine case, hold the plug in place with a screwdriver and slowly tilt the plug to let out the sump oil slowly, otherwise if you just pull the plug it will gush and soak your left hand heat exchanger (never mind the mess).

Cheers,

Mike
The following users liked this post:
rlme36 (07-16-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:56 AM
turdfarmer
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the tips folks, wrapped her up this weekend. Seems like 10.5 qts gets me right midline on the dipstick.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Of course, if you really want controversy, to post what oil you used. :-)

Cheers

Mike
Old 07-16-2022, 10:32 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yup, nothing too special about oil changes on a turbo vs NA car. I do drain the oil sumps on the turbos just because it gets every drop out but I also pull the oil feed line that is just below the secondary filter because that lets out quite a bit more oil. All the usual rules apply, be really careful on the refill since the oil goes in really slowly once there are a few quarts in and the filler tube can overflow. Prime the filters by cranking with the DME relay out before startup - I usually do that after 7 or 8 quarts in the tank, crank until you see say 2 bar on the oil pressure gauge. When draining the engine case, hold the plug in place with a screwdriver and slowly tilt the plug to let out the sump oil slowly, otherwise if you just pull the plug it will gush and soak your left hand heat exchanger (never mind the mess).

Cheers,

Mike
the one thing i'd add is that for the engine drain plug that Mike is talking about above, I use a form a funnel to redirect the flow into your bucket of choice. Also use it on the sump drain plug to help with not lubricating the side rocker, it really doesn't need it. ;-)

rob

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993 turbo specific oil change write up…