Sponsored by:

"The Golden Rod"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 11:55 PM
frosto186
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "The Golden Rod"

I had a 993 Targa and currently have a 964 cab and the shifters on both were so much tighter and less rubbery and vague than that on my 993 TT. Has anyone installed the FD Motorsports Golden Rod? Is there anything else like bushings I should install as well?

On another note would it be sacrilege to change the shift **** and boot? I have a tan interior so not really sure what my options are. My car is pretty much stock other than PSS10's, wheels, and fabspeed muffler delete.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sure, it's a great solution and easy to install. I have seen various levels of wear on the rubber coupling on the stock shift rod, and the Golden Rod eliminates the slope. You can get wear on the forward cup joint for the stabilization rod that holds the bottom of the shift lever still, and I have seen them basically fall out when removed. A more challenging question is around short shift kits, unfortunately due to the driveshaft running along the tunnel, the SS kit will need the center tunnel cover to be modified to allow for clearance of the bottom of the short shift lever. I usually press out a round dimple on my press, but it does take some fiddling.

Shift ***** are very personal. I used a 996TT shift **** on mine, but I have also see others including a GT3 ****. Color matching might be difficult, but black usually does not look out of place.

Cheers,

Mike

The following users liked this post:
dbf73 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:30 PM
frosto186
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated!!

Quick Reply: "The Golden Rod"