Sponsored by:

Hi from a newbie and a dumb question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Romano,

Feel free to tell us your experiences with your other cars aswell.
I love to hear stories from past owners of Ferraris and Lambos
Old 04-20-2004, 01:38 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Miraculix,

it's quite long, but it could be considered the "short of my story"...

I owned some sport cars that could be called "hi-end" cars, unfortunately I had a lot of troubles with some of them, taking apart the Porsches. Actually I think that this 993 twinturbo reaches the perfection, at least concerning my own expectations on a sport car.

The Ferraris where 2: a 348 TS and a 355. both of them gave me problems, specially concerning the engine.

The 355 was quite superior, talking in terms of build quality, it had some mechanical problems, but nothing compared to the 348.

With the 348 I had so many problems that actually I cannot even remember a significant number of them! just think that a day, after have slept at my girlfriend's home (with no box), I discovered that the water (it was raining) entered inside the gauges...
May you realize that? the same day I left the car to the dealership because the internal doors panels where completely full of water, and become soft... there was water everywhere, and believe me, I'm a maniac, concerning maintenance, on my sport cars.
The engine had a thousand problems with the electronic, it was irregular (but *not* "irregular" as a Ferrari lover would love...) it was irregular in a very bad manner, sometime it stopped even at more than 3000 r.p.m., it was irregular even over 5000, and who knows why, that engine had more problems on high rotations, than at idle.

The power of the 348 is substantially given in a very different manner than the Porsches. It was slightly more powerful than the 993 cabrio (C2, 272hp) that I had (after the Ferrari), but the power comes at higher rotations, when the Porsche gives you the impression that has more "force" during all the rotation range.
The RPM range is quite different between them, and if you're looking for a street car able to give you power immediatly, whenever you want, even pushing the pedal at 1000 rpm, I should suggest the 993.

The Ferrari was very nervous, anyway, specially concerning the stability and cornering. You've to be more experienced, in order to control the behaviour of the car when you reach the max torque. I'm sure that it is possible to millimetrically calibrate the direction and the position of the wheels when running, with the Ferrari, but I felt more secure and relaxed driving the 993.

The 355 was much better than the 348. The engine much powerful, the power better distribuited on the RPM range, the build quality enormously improved and the stability improved too, but I had many problems with that engine, in any case, and in the meanwhile I had a friend of mine that owned a '95 993 twinturbo (original 408hp, not modified). Notwithstanding the 355 was much better than the 348 (concerning building quality) it was still much worse than the 993. I remember that entering inside the 993 TT I felt always the impression of "perfection", never felt inside my Ferrari, for hundreds of particulars.

He was quite faster than me, in any circumstance.
On the straight roads the 993 TT had was quicker in acceleration, cornering too, the 993 was much more stable than the 355. I always swallowed tons of dust, racing with him...
On the slippery roads the 993 was absolutely unreachable, for me and my 355.

After that came the Lambo.
Incredible engine, brutal force and acceleration, astonishing exterior shape, whenever I used it I felt myself "observed" by thousands people, more than whatever Ferrari or Porsche I had.

Yes, the power is much superior than whatever else car I owned, but exponentially increased the costs, the fuel consumption, the maintenance ... and in any case the 993TT owned by my friend was superior, in handling and cornering.
Surely the Lambo was the real "beast to beat" on the straight roads, but that 993, with its incredible handling, continued to surprise me always, on the mountain roads...

And the Lambo was unmaintenable, for me. It requires a lot of money in any circumstance, so I kept it for no more than 5 months.

After that I reached the "illumination".
With all that experience, all that work, studying, trying, comparing, buying (and spending a lot of money, too!!), selling cars, I reached a conclusion that could surprise everybody...

normally there are needed at least 3 masters and 2 PhDs in order to be prepared to reach similar complicated and difficult conclusions...

Yes, I'm a damned gifted!!! because I reached the conclusion that...

"if the 993 twinturbo is the best, handling, cornering, with a spectacular engine, consuming the right amount of fuel, perfectly built in every part, perfectly driveable inside the traffic (you absolutely cannot do so, with the Ferraris and the Lambo), gorgeus in every part... why I do not buy one for me?!???"

So I did, and I'm perfectly and totally satisfied, today.
I bought what I consider to be perfect, at least for me!!!

fiuuuu! thank you to have read it at all!!!!

ciao
Romano

Last edited by OnlyAirCooling; 04-20-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:03 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Wink

Romano...Thank you. Great words.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:50 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

FineProperty,

those words just described what happened.

I understand that probably a real good pilot, expertized driving Ferraris could reach limits that I cannot and probably have more chanches against the 993TT in the same situations, but I'm not a pilot.

And the 993TT (450 hp at the wheel) driven by me is capable to give problems to an expertized Porsche pilot (who is the friend of mine...).

It means that the 993TT has a superior driveability, IMO.

ciao
Romano
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 PM
flatair
Racer

Wow OnlyAirCooling, don't apologize for the length of your article, I loved every minute of it! Great comparison!

Quick Reply: Hi from a newbie and a dumb question.