Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi from a newbie and a dumb question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:23 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from a newbie and a dumb question.

Hi to all!

Newbie in this forum, I write from Rome, Italy.

Own a 993 TT (1996) upgraded by Porsche from 408 to 450 HP (aftermarket, original complete kit).

Before this gorgeus piece of art, I had some other sport cars (Ferrari F348 and F355, Lambo Diablo, 964 cabrio, 993 285 HP cabrio...)

For months (...years!) I searched on the net a place like this one! like everybody I have some experiences to share, and some questions from time to time.

After have read some threads I definitely think that it is the best place to share experiences (concerning Porsche world) ever found by me.

Just to start, a very dumb question: the computer lamp behind the central gauge (just the computer bulb, the gauge itself has no problem) does not work anymore, and the digits are barely visible.

Anyone knows how to replace the lamp(s)? a friend of mine has given me a bunch of lamps, but he does not know how to replace them. Have I to dismount the gauge? in this case, what have I to do? Is it possible to stick the hand behind the gauge, and in this case, how do I recognize the bulb socket?

I've no time to leave the car to Porsche (150 miles away...!) for some days, just to replace a 0.5 $ bulb...

thank you in advance!

regards
Romano
Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Default Welcome

I have no direct or indirect experience in the matter but I recall reading about the issue a couple of times. While the link below suggests that there has been atleast one case of success in bulb replacement without removal of the steering wheel, most cases seem to suggest that there is some removal involved to access the bulb receptacle.
Link (cut and paste if it is not clickable):- https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=dim+display
If you give up doing the job yourself or if it seems too involved, perhaps you can have a fun drive to the shop and wait for them to do it instead of dropping off the car. Call ahead to ensure part availability and keep your fingers crossed that you have not misdiagnosed the cause since other causes could end up being expensive. Personally, I would not attempt removal of a steering wheel or airbag.
Good luck and welcome to the 993TT board.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Thank you very much, Ran, I'm reading the thread, right now.
It seems that I've to work a little bit...

In any case, I will try to do something, a twice 150+150 miles travel with the help of a friend + at least a stop of a couple of days of my turbo, seems a real nightmare to me!

regards
Romano
Old 04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

300 miles in the tt sounds like vacation to me!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Thank you again, Ran,

I did it immediatly, tried to dismount the gauge without to dismount the steering wheel, as suggested by Seege.

The problem is that to dismount the plastic shields (upper and lower the base of the wheel) is relatively simple (30 seconds to unscrew 6 screws cross-head and 10 minutes to pull the upper shield, without to do any damage), but after that, the gauge (that comes away immediatly, if you gently pull it with a screwdriver on the right and on the left) does not come for more than a couple of inches! the real problem is the steering wheel, that for less than 1/10 of inches opposes its shape to the lower border of the gauge!

rotating the wheels does not solve the problem, fortunately, pushing and pulling the gauge the light came on again, so I think that it is a problem of an internal bad contact of the lamp and the socket.

It surely does not solve totally the problem, but it could work for a while, and if the problem raises again I could work again as I did, until the next Porsche maintenance...

thanks again!

Romano
Old 04-15-2004, 10:25 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Stedge,

I use the 993 TT like all other cars, like a normal city car.

It is not so difficult that I reach some 15-20,000 miles per year with these cars.
With the 993 cabrio I was able to raise some 30,000 miles during '99.

It was possible because they are Porsches. I had a huge amount of problems even driving for no more than 5,000-6,000 miles per year, with the other sport cars that I had.

And, unfortunately, in my case, the Porsche maintenance centre that I prefer, is very far from Rome. As you know, when you've to leave the car there, you need to do at least 4 times that distance: to go with the Porsche and go back with a friend and another car, and again, the same thing at the end of the maintenance!!!

well, it seems (for now) that I solved the problem for a while...

regards
Old 04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Romano Welcome! I was thinking while reading your
original post that is was a connection issue. But you fixed
it. Can you tell us how you like your Turbo as oppsosed to
your 355? ride, power , build quality?? I would be interested
thanks and again welcome!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I had that same bulb problem on my computer, and I watched the mechanic replace the bulb. He did indeed remove the steering wheel, popped out the tach, replaced the bulb, and reinstalled the steering wheel... all in about 20 minutes. I guess it pays to know what you are doing! Anyway... glad its working for now, but it doesn't sound like a major issue, even if you must remove the steering wheel.

Welcome to Rennlist. Its great to hear from other enthusiasts that are so far away.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

OldGuy,

the problem probably will raise again, due the fact that it was fixed just by vibrations and movements of the gauge (actually I was not able to completely extract the gauge).

Concerning the 355, there is no competition, but it is absolutely my personal opinion!

the Porsche accelerates with more energy and brutal force, is capable of superior overall performances, is more secure cornering and has a superior control on the rain and slippery roads.

Probably it will be not exactly the same thing, if you compare the two beasts on a race track, and I cannot give opinions on that, due the fact that too much time passed between the different experiences that I had on the ring.
The overall impression is that the Porsche is capable of more "force", it accelerates with more energy and without much noise, it seems that you have got a huge hand behind your back that, almost without noise, pushes you with an enormous force.
The Ferrari shows its dynamic capability in a more "theatrical" way, with an incredible enrapturing sound, that involves everybody, in and out of the car, specially the driver.
It gives different emotions, something that the Porsche cannot give you.

Concerning the build quality... the Porsche has no concurrents, in this field, IMO. Maybe that the newer Mercedes could beat it, but concerning the Ferraris... better to draw a veil over the 348. IMO it absolutely is far away to worth its price.
The 355 is much better, but far away from the 993 TT, for example it happens that you remain for a couple of hours inside the traffic, but when the street is clear... with the Porsche you push the pedal and it answers with brutality with no problems, with the 355, is much better that you stop the engine several times, during the 2 hours, and probably you will have problems anyway.
With the 348... better to call immediatly a technician, you surely will have problems. I remained on the street waiting for my car to be towed, many times with the 348, during 10,000 miles.
With the 993 I have ran for some 51,000 miles, but never called a technician, not even once, excluding the normal Porsche maintenance.
AFAIK the 360 and the newer models are enormously improved, concerning build quality, I think that it could be possible a comparison between them and the newer 996s...

Concerning this last one... I had "tried" to change my 993 for the newer 996 TwinTurbo. So I left my car to be sold for almost a month to the Porsche dealer and have taken a 6500 miles 2003 996TT... Surely a great car, fascinating and perfect in many perticulars, but... after that I wanted back my 993.
I don't know wich one is more "perfect" between them, the 996 seems to be build in a "less expensive" way than the 993, but the point is another one, IMO.

The 996 did non give me, the same emotions that is capable to give the 993.

CA993Twin,

The problem is that I tried to pull out the central gauge and almost ruined it! I think that it is much better to remove the steering wheel, the central gauge has a scratch on the black ring, right now, and half an hour ago I've contacted a german site that sells aluminium rings (set of 5) to be mounted on the original black ones...

It is a real pleasure for me too, to receive a similar welcome! I was able to "fix" my problem in less than a couple of hours, after have known this forum, and it is some 3 weeks that my board computer is barely visible!!

regards
Romano
Old 04-15-2004, 03:20 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Use a #30 Torx bit to undo the airbag from the back of the wheel spokes and everything comes apart pretty easily. Sure beats scratching your bezels or driving to Rome!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:11 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, Romano!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Hi Romano ....... Love Rome! .... best holiday ever was travelling through Italy ... wish the rental was a porsche and not a 2 litre station wagon tho hahaha.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

911 q45, I'll try tomorrow morning to dismount again everything. thank you for the suggestions, in any case I think that I'll buy the aluminium bezels, the central gauge bezel has some scratches, right now...

Stedge, thank you again for your welcome!

Ruf-Dan-Ruf: to rent a porsche here, in Italy?!? you're kidding! Here in Italy car rental is so expensive that you could buy half a porsche with the money required (to be wasted!!)!
... it could be less expensive to buy a used 993 TT and then resell it during the end of the vacation, or better, over there, in New Zealand...!

ciao to everyone
Old 04-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Romano. The world gets smaller every day.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:24 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Tour18,

gets smaller???

it seems that you've more than a european, aboard!!!

anyway, thank you all, guys, as I've always tought, Porsche is a lot more than a car, more than everyelse car, it seems than "she" has a so strange shape that enters in your blood and remains forever.

This could be the reason why I wanted back my 993TT after have used the 996TT for a while...

ciao from Rome
Romano

Quick Reply: Hi from a newbie and a dumb question.