Sponsored by:

Ruf Turbo R just acquired

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021 | 04:57 PM
alps
Advanced

Default Ruf Turbo R just acquired

Hello everyone!

I have been a poster on the 993 and 991GT3 forums but am now venturing into the 993 turbo group due to a recent acquistion of a special car. It is a 1994 993 Carrera 2 converted to Turbo R spec. The car underwent the conversion in Pfaffenhausen sometime around 1998 with the fitment of a 490hp motor and 6 speed box but remains in its original and challenging RWD format. The conversion was accompanied by a full body modification including integrated roll cage and removal of the rain gutters. The interior was Ruf'ed with seats and instruments. Chassis, brakes, wheels and other running gear were upgraded to Ruf spec to complete the stopping side of the equation and the signature Ruf components around mirrors, bumpers and aerodynamics were added.

As the seller put it, perhaps without too much exaggeration, it is a "GT2 sleeper"!

I see the car as a spritual successor to the Yellowbird, remaining true to the narrow body, powerfully turbocharged motor concept but always adhering to the Ruf product offering of a complete car where chassis and powertrain are wonderfully balanced and interior driver comfort and safety are given equal emphasis.

I picked the car up amid some of the worst storms we have had in Europe in years and have been driving with some caution so far, but based on a few full power second and third gear bursts, I can confirm that the car has power in abundance yet is beautifully docile to drive in normal traffic. It is like my old 993RS but on steroids and I look forward to a lot of driving and some track time to fully appreciate the car.

I attach a few photos and will take a some more when the weather improves. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has or had a similar car and what you liked or disliked about it. I plan to take it home to Pfaffenhausen later this year and have it thoroughly checked over and brought up to A1 condition by the Ruf people. A car like this deserves no less.

The following 4 users liked this post by alps:
anguilla1980 (09-13-2021), AR_Motorwerkz (03-17-2022), CGT000 (07-19-2021), dbf73 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 02:46 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the new Ruf & enjoy in good health.

I absolutely love the rain gutter & sunroof delete - such a nice smooth look.
Old 07-19-2021 | 03:21 PM
alps
Advanced

Thanks Nurburger! The 993RS with your group buy Speedlines is still enjoying the roads around Geneva somewhere. Keep well!
Old 07-19-2021 | 09:42 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Congrats. In the hunt for a TT myself
Old 07-20-2021 | 10:44 PM
JEllis
Pro

Nice find! Needs some Ruf bumpers to match the interior!

I converted by TT to RWD.... it can certainly be handful in this configuration. Congrats!
Old 07-21-2021 | 08:09 AM
alps
Advanced

Originally Posted by JEllis
Nice find! Needs some Ruf bumpers to match the interior!

I converted by TT to RWD.... it can certainly be handful in this configuration. Congrats!
Right, the front bumper is different to other Turbo R's. It is a mix of standard turbo with some GT2 side flares. Will talk to Ruf and see what they recommend
Old 07-27-2021 | 06:32 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Congrats! Very nice & special car. I think, I have only seen narrow body BTR conversions.
Old 07-27-2021 | 06:34 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Actually, there was a green one that was built for a member of the Porsche family, however that one had a CTR intercooler setup.
Old 07-27-2021 | 07:01 PM
JEllis
Pro

A lot of the original CTR2s were narrow body until Porsche started making wide body 993s.
Old 07-28-2021 | 05:35 PM
Autobahn
Pro

I was referring to turbo R's.
Old 07-28-2021 | 05:39 PM
JEllis
Pro

Originally Posted by Autobahn
I was referring to turbo R's.
I was just making a general comment about RUF 993 narrow body cars. Some of the most extreme RUF 993s were NB.

Back on topic, I think the OP needs some RUF bumpers.
Old 03-12-2022 | 05:34 PM
alps
Advanced

Tomorrow is the big day when I collect the car from the factory at Pfaffenhausen where it has been for the past month.
The drive up was quite disappointing with a loose front end swimming around on the Autobahn at 230kmh+. It gave absolutely no confidence to drive it any faster.
On acceleration, the car pushed hard right, while on braking it moved left.
The front control arms and tie rods, which had a lot of play, have been replaced and an alignment done with the rear wheels being well out of tolerance.
The LHS pressure hose from the turbo to the intercooler was split and hanging off which meant no pressure from the left turbo and perhaps pressure leakage from the RHS turbo. The split hose also allowed oil to drop onto the exhaust manifold which created bouts of oil smoke from the back of the car and into the cabin. Not pleasant. The car had been standing for around 10 years undriven when I bought it and has clearly suffered from the lack of use.
Higher oil delivery pipes to the turbos have been fitted to avoid oil pooling and smoking.
The additional power from improving the turbo boost delivery threw up a slipping clutch which was replaced together with a leaking A/C evaporator. Cosmetic work included seat electric adjustment fix, windshield stone chips, wind noise on the driver's side and various lights repaired. These arise mainly from the car being unused for so long. Another reason to keep driving them.
Regarding the bumpers which several people have commented on, according to RUF, there were 4 or 5 993 narrow body 2WD turbo R's built either as original RUF's or converted, like mine. The rear bumper is a NB original with slots cut out to enable heat escape from the turbos. The WB turbo R bumpers were not fitted. Up front is a mixture of RS and turbo bumper and I have chosen to stick with the current bumpers as they look fine and do the job for cooling and braking.
Despite all the shortcomings identified above the car was still amazing to drive. Tomorrow will hopefully show its true capability at high speed and a track day in April in Dijon should show its ability around the curves depending on how brave I feel.
I am very excited to see what the real potential of the car is. Stay tuned!

The following 2 users liked this post by alps:
dbf73 (03-13-2022), Kein_Ersatz (03-16-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 06:35 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Sweet car. Would love to see some more pics of those Ruf seats.
Old 03-15-2022 | 09:54 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your front bumper is standard 993 turbo with the FVD piece below bolted onto it, I had the same part on my 993 I'm pretty sure it is an FVD supply only part.

Combined with a turbo S or GT2 rear spoiler the stability at high speed is fantastic, I used to run mine to 200mph regularly with great confidence, the standard rear spoiler you are running will not be aerodynamically balanced with this aggressive front piece and you will get light at the back if you go fast...... For even more "aero" the carbon lip as in the photo below is available, I never bothered as I thought it wouldn't last long !

My 993 with Turbo S rear spolier

And with GT2

Last edited by TB993tt; 03-15-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2022 | 11:36 AM
Sole_
Instructor

Following to see how she drives now.

Quick Reply: Ruf Turbo R just acquired