993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf Turbo R just acquired

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022 | 12:21 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Shameless plug . I have one of these splitters if anyone is looking for one.

free image hosting
Old 03-16-2022 | 07:33 AM
alps
Advanced

The handling and stability are substantially improved. The car was steady up to 260kmh and inspired confidence. Traffic prevented any higher speeds on this trip. The torque is impressive meaning 5th and 6th are all that is needed for autobahn speeds. The acceleration now that both turbos are contributing is astounding.

The car feels well sorted and attention turns to driving it and improving comfort elements with a new radio etc. I am thinking of fitting one of these. https://blaupunkt.com/de/produkt/bremen-sqr-46-dab/

TB993tt thanks for the front bumper identification. It does look like the FVD unit and is a bit of a hybrid. I will stick with it as it has integrated brake cooling and fog lights.

Here is a photo of the seats for Olly. They have electric backrest and lumbar adjustment.

Old 03-16-2022 | 07:45 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Cheers Alps. Loving those seats! Lumbar is plus.
Old 03-17-2022 | 09:23 PM
AR_Motorwerkz
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alps
Hello everyone!

I have been a poster on the 993 and 991GT3 forums but am now venturing into the 993 turbo group due to a recent acquistion of a special car. It is a 1994 993 Carrera 2 converted to Turbo R spec. The car underwent the conversion in Pfaffenhausen sometime around 1998 with the fitment of a 490hp motor and 6 speed box but remains in its original and challenging RWD format. The conversion was accompanied by a full body modification including integrated roll cage and removal of the rain gutters. The interior was Ruf'ed with seats and instruments. Chassis, brakes, wheels and other running gear were upgraded to Ruf spec to complete the stopping side of the equation and the signature Ruf components around mirrors, bumpers and aerodynamics were added.

As the seller put it, perhaps without too much exaggeration, it is a "GT2 sleeper"!

I see the car as a spritual successor to the Yellowbird, remaining true to the narrow body, powerfully turbocharged motor concept but always adhering to the Ruf product offering of a complete car where chassis and powertrain are wonderfully balanced and interior driver comfort and safety are given equal emphasis.

I picked the car up amid some of the worst storms we have had in Europe in years and have been driving with some caution so far, but based on a few full power second and third gear bursts, I can confirm that the car has power in abundance yet is beautifully docile to drive in normal traffic. It is like my old 993RS but on steroids and I look forward to a lot of driving and some track time to fully appreciate the car.

I attach a few photos and will take a some more when the weather improves. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has or had a similar car and what you liked or disliked about it. I plan to take it home to Pfaffenhausen later this year and have it thoroughly checked over and brought up to A1 condition by the Ruf people. A car like this deserves no less.

-Still one of the best sports cars out there!
Old 03-19-2022 | 02:14 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice Turbo R.The folks at Ruf in Pfaffenhausen are a great group.
They remember every car they've worked on.Enjoy that Beauty.
Old 04-13-2022 | 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alps
Thanks Nurburger! The 993RS with your group buy Speedlines is still enjoying the roads around Geneva somewhere. Keep well!

I’m in Kilchberg on the and have a Turbo R as well. Ping me, should you like to go for a drive sometime.
Old 04-21-2022 | 05:04 AM
alps
Advanced

Originally Posted by 02600286
I’m in Kilchberg on the and have a Turbo R as well. Ping me, should you like to go for a drive sometime.
Will do! Would love to compare the cars. There are many subtle variations between them so would be great to see another in the flesh and have a chat.

Quick Reply: Ruf Turbo R just acquired