Sponsored by:

k24 or hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question k24 or hybrids?

Hello guys. Since my ECU was fried, I´m going to go a little bit more agresive on hp increase and I´m and not sure wich way to go. Should I go with k24 or hybrids before my next ECU is reprogramed. I got Kevin and Bob oppinions, but wich way should I take? Any suggestion? Someone who has both experience?

Regards
Old 03-30-2004, 06:51 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

If there is someone who has had an ECU programmed specifically to work with a specific spec hybrid and the same spec in the rest of the motor as yours (eg cam timing) and it is proven (dyno/acceleration numbers) then this is worth considering. Personally I would not go the external boost controller route (again) as I think it puts the engine at more risk than allowing the Motronic to do its thing - problem is, how many people actually know how to accurately custom write (with Motronic boost control) for a specific hybrid set up ?
An FVD package (which may include one of their hybrids) seem to be pretty well proven.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think you will be disapointed either way you go. I went the K24/GIAC ECU reprogram route and I think it is a conservative/aggresive set up. The hybrid is said to have advantages as well. Like TB is talking about I wanted to try to keep things matched up and as reliable as possible. So far so good but I only have about 3,000 miles on this set up and no Track time yet. Soon though .
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

What are you trying to said is if I´ll go with hybrids I could find problems with the set up of my engine? What about if I buy turbos with ECU from the same tuner?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:31 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

CL,

Not that there will be trouble but I wanted the set up to be optimised and done before. I did not want to try something new. I just wanted more power and maintain reliability. I was not trying to build a race car. The k24/GIAC program was a way to do that.

I think the Hybrids would work great (I do not have any first hand knowledge of them yet) but, as someone new at the time I was modifying my car I did not understand what the Hybrids were all about. The k24's were tried and true with the GIAC folks, so I went that route.

I think if I were to further modify my car it would be the turbo technology that Kevin is building.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:37 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're a what? k16 impeller section with k24 exhaust or something? I know that they spool up about the same quickness as a k16 but pack the greater power of the K24 but with a better response lower down. I think the ultimate although terrribly short life of a ball bearing turbo is the crazy way to go, but for whatever reason they don't like to last that long . I think Garrett had them on his 993tt but I also believe that he got rid of that car a little bit ago.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally posted by SPR
they're a what? k16 impeller section with k24 exhaust or something? I know that they spool up about the same quickness as a k16 but pack the greater power of the K24 but with a better response lower down.
SPR
they seem to be what you said but there is much more depending how much one wants to spend.

Here is a good thread by Kevin https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=82687

And another
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=84673

CL I am in the same situation as yours, a chip can run very good but not at full potential if not programmed for your specific configuration as TB and Keith said. If you are modifying your engine with different parts such as cams, turbos, twin plug etc.. you might want to consider an aftermarket programmable ECU such as the Motecs and cheaper Accel DFI or SDS of this world.

Saludos.. Jean

Quick Reply: k24 or hybrids?