Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: rear camber way out

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004 | 05:08 PM
maxiter
Racer

Default Suspension: rear camber way out

Just picked up my car after having new tires mounted. Figured I'd have an aligntment done at the same time.

The left rear is at -2 degrees and is adjusted as far as it goes. Oddly, last alignment I had done a few months back, everything was in spec. I'm pretty sure (I know) I didn't hit anything recently. The roughest terrain this car sees is my driveway which requires me to enter 1 wheel at a time due to the sharp transition.

Visible inspection (at the shop) is clean (nothing visible or measurable out of whack). They want to start the labor intensive process of pulling stuff apart. Anything I resonably check beforehand or any guesses as to what's mucked up?

Only "non-standard" suspension element are Eibach springs, but they've been on before I had the car. I notice that Eibach does sell "camber adjustment kits" for various applications. Since the ride height is lowered with these... any reason I should suspect the springs?

I was gonna go to another place to get a second opinion -- I'm far from understanding the intricicies of this stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by maxiter; 03-25-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2004 | 08:29 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: Suspension: rear camber way out

Originally posted by maxiter
Just picked up my car after having new tires mounted. Figured I'd have an aligntment done at the same time.
So, did you or did you not have the alignment done at this time? If yes, what specs have they set the camber at? If you don't think it is correct, why not take it back and have them re-do it? Not sure I completely understand your problem.
Old 03-26-2004 | 12:25 AM
maxiter
Racer

Had an alignment checked when I bought the car in September of last year. Everything was in spec.

I just had a second alingnment "attempted" after having tires mounted. Nothing else changed. The left rear is currently at -2 degrees and it's been adjusted as much as it can be adjusted (the eccentrics for adjustment only give so much +/- adjustment range). They can't get it any closer to the factory spec.

Right rear is fine at 1 degree and 10.

So, on the left rear, something has gotta be outta whack/bent broken between Sept and now (over the last 500 miles or so). I'm positive I did nothing traumatic to bend something (curb, big pothole, etc.). I had a passing thought that the shop could be thrown off because of the after market Eibach springs.
Old 03-26-2004 | 12:59 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

How low is the car? Were the Eibach springs on it when you got it? There is an interelationship between toe and camber that a less than experienced tech can have trouble with in the back.
Old 03-26-2004 | 09:58 AM
maxiter
Racer

The Eibach springs, if my memory is correct, should have ride height similar to ROW. The were on the car when I bought it. I also have the original factory springs which I contemplated putting back on for another alignment.

The fellow who did (attempted) the alignment does have tens of years of experience although the shop doesn't do a lot of work on cars with aftermarket items.

Would it be wise of me to try and get this resolved before I put on PSS9s?

Right now:

Left Rear: -2d15' camber, 0d13' toe
Right Rear: -1d07' camber, 0d08' toe

This is as good the could get it.
Old 03-26-2004 | 10:12 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

A couple of thoughts...

Who 'checked' the alignmnet? Was it where you bought the car? Did you get a print out? (They might have simply said it was fine.)

There are many different Eibach springs. The most common is called 'Pro Kit' or something like that. To be as nice as I possibly can about those springs - they SUCK. They are very low and VERY soft. A complete mismatch for any shock I have seen on a 993. As a car is lowered, the negative camber increases, so that could be what is going on. Did your guy check the ride height? If a spring is sagging, that could easily add negative camber.
Old 03-26-2004 | 10:31 AM
maxiter
Racer

They are indeed the Eibach Pro-kit. Thank you for telling me they suck as that will motivate me to change them. If somebody says the suck more than stock springs, I'll put them back on for a few weeks.

I haven't yet checked the ride height. Understanding that there may be some normal variance in side to side height, am I correct in that a gimp/weak/spent spring on one side will significantly upset ride height on one side?

I'm trying to track down the specs from my alignment in November -- I hope the shop still has them.
Old 03-26-2004 | 11:04 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally posted by maxiter
They are indeed the Eibach Pro-kit. Thank you for telling me they suck as that will motivate me to change them. If somebody says the suck more than stock springs, I'll put them back on for a few weeks.

I haven't yet checked the ride height. Understanding that there may be some normal variance in side to side height, am I correct in that a gimp/weak/spent spring on one side will significantly upset ride height on one side?

I'm trying to track down the specs from my alignment in November -- I hope the shop still has them.
I suspect you will be amazed after you change to PSS-9 or something equivalent. Yes a weak spring will drop the height on that corner and usped both balance and alignment. Don't overlook that there could be something on the opposite corner holding the car up.

If everything in the suspension appears OK, I would think the best thing is to go ahead and upgrade the suspension and work on alignment from there, rather than chase this down and have to repeat the alignment when you put on the new stuff.

As far as checking height, you must do this from the correct measurement points, not fender height - that will vary a lot. If the car was properly setup (and not corner balanced, whcih you can't do with stock shocks) the height should be very, very close, side-to-side.
Old 03-26-2004 | 11:25 AM
maxiter
Racer

Originally posted by SundayDriver
As far as checking height, you must do this from the correct measurement points, not fender height - that will vary a lot. If the car was properly setup (and not corner balanced, whcih you can't do with stock shocks) the height should be very, very close, side-to-side.
Will I be able to determine anything non-scientifically by doing my own measurments? For example, like measuring from point X on the suspension (what is point X?) to the ground, assuming that the ground is level. The more informed I can make myself before going back to a shop the better.
Old 03-26-2004 | 03:26 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The front height for ROW is 144+-10mm, rear is 127+-10mm. Pt X front is the head of the outer bolt that holds the crossmember to the body. Pt X rear is the lump on the subframe between the fingers of the lower Y shaped link just forward of the lower shock mount. A picture in the shop manual would be worth many words at this point. Be sure to have the fuel tank full.
Old 03-26-2004 | 06:43 PM
maxiter
Racer

I think I have a gimped spring or shock. The car has 26k miles on it -- if I recall correctly, I heard about stock shocks going quickly.

I checked it twice (both with a plumb bob and overly precise protractor and by checking ride height measuring points) and came back with different results each time.

Thanks for the pointers, I'm gonna keep looking for the time being, but at least I've got something to go on so far.
Old 03-26-2004 | 09:48 PM
maxiter
Racer

Ride Height:

Left Rear: 108mm
Right Rear: 108mm

Left Front: 125.4mm
Right Front: 128.6mm

Okay, so I'm lower than ROW.

Enjoy the picture of my stupid, but functional, measurement tool.

Old 03-26-2004 | 09:52 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maxiter,

I know this won't help diagnose your problem, but if you have the PSS9's in hand install them.

My car too had 25,000 miles on stock a suspension and you will not believe the change. Then hopefully a good alignment and corner balance and you're back in business. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2004 | 12:26 AM
SPR
Drifting

the pro kit sucks you probably have a wasted shock on the one side which would let it settle more - the eibach springs waste the stock shocks in a matter of weeks. My father's car had them on when he got them I called it the pogo mobile as the shocks were wasted so much so that at 100+ it was nice and scary when going over bumps- he didn't care for the comment, even as funny as I thought it was, but now has pss9's so he can't get upset-
Old 03-29-2004 | 09:54 AM
maxiter
Racer

the shocks were wasted so much so that at 100+ it was nice and scary when going over bumps
Sounds familiar. Hmmmmm.....

I'll probably make a move on PSS9s this week. Rumor has it they'll soon be
the latest victim of a price increase due to gross US$ exchange rates.

Thanks for all the pointers, guys. I'll try to follow-up on my own post should I come up with anything unique.

Quick Reply: Suspension: rear camber way out