Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I see you have the machine that goes "Ping!" ... not any more, I don't ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Default I see you have the machine that goes "Ping!" ... not any more, I don't ...

I was feelling a bit lazy today, so keep myself from taking a nap while I waited for the refrigerator repair-man to arrive, I finally got to replacing a defective belt tension sensor (which gave me a chance to perform the ritual known as "fishing around to get an allen key out from under the fan housing") and I decided to pull out the stupid thing that goes "ping" all the time (door open, no belt, high risk of sunburn, whatever ...)

Silencing "the machine that goes 'Ping!'" is a worthwhile DIY. Just pull the left-most gauge (or the tach if you have large mits) and reach over to the side of the car and you'll feel a tall relay and a short relay. Pull out the tall relay. Throw it into the garden so your dog can chew on it. Note that you can now have your door open without being reprimanded by your car. I believe this thing (really called a "chime") is a DOT requirement for street cars. Oh well. I prefer the silence.

Of course, now, it's just a matter of time before I leave my headlights on ...

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2004 | 12:00 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Oh... I am so with you on those annoying little reminders, but I'm not brave enough to yank it.
Old 03-24-2004 | 12:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Steve -- piece of cake. And no apparent consequences other than blissful silence. The hard part is just levering a gauge out of the dash (once you have one out, you can push the others out from behind by putting your hand in the vacant whole of the first removed gauge) and I find that most "unmolested" 993's have a sort of tacky, gluey, lacquer so of stuff on the gauges that tends to make them a little resistant to removal. Just lift up the rubber grommet around the front bezel and use a flat screw-driver to lever the gauge body just a tad, then push the gauge on the bezel in the opposite direction (to the initial movement from the screw-driver) and just persevere until the sticky stuff succumbs. It will take quite some force by hand, but by the same token, it's important to ensure that force is not contacting the dash facia or the visible aspects of the gauge or the rubber seal around the gauge. It's tedious, but a few minutes is all it takes and the next trick is to short the clutch switch so you can start the engine without depressing the clutch -- this still requires pressing the immob button on the key fob ... and checking the box is in neutral ...

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2004 | 01:13 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I am the king of Doofusonia, the emperor of doofusdom. I can break almost anything. I'll live with the annoying "pinging" rather than put a 10" gouge into my dash, and probably end up in the ER for stitches.
Old 03-24-2004 | 01:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The next time you bring your car to Viper Bob's for a complete disassembly and re-assembly, I'll extract "the machine that goes 'ping!'" ... no charge ...
Old 03-24-2004 | 03:25 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Adam If I didnt have the ding ding ding, I would be
doing the DIY known as "Replacing battery and restting codes"
ritual!!
Old 03-24-2004 | 04:16 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Ahh!! A Mighty Python fan!! "The most expensive machine in the hospital!!"
Old 03-25-2004 | 02:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Mighty Python?

Quick Reply: I see you have the machine that goes "Ping!" ... not any more, I don't ...