Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Here Installed the F--Speed X Pipe and Sport Cats on their TT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 03:43 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=Fabspeed Motorsport;17181525]That is our High-Performance Carbon Fiber Airbox cover, proven to gain 10+WHP and increases throttle response.

[/QUOTE
Question: How does an open air box cover make sense for a turbo? The 993 turbo has a trumpet on the air box, which extends the opening up past the inter cooler to the spoiler.

I am a big fan of Fabspeed and have your mufflers, tips, and X-Pipe on my 2 NA 993’s. I have your mufflers and tips on my ‘97 turbo. This particular air box cover looks like it might make some noise, but otherwise is a hot-air intake for the 993 turbo. Tell my why I am wrong, please.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:48 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe its a typo..................he meant to say a 10BHP loss?
Old 01-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 679 Likes on 433 Posts

[QUOTE=Blue TTop;17181733]
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
That is our High-Performance Carbon Fiber Airbox cover, proven to gain 10+WHP and increases throttle response.

[/QUOTE
Question: How does an open air box cover make sense for a turbo? The 993 turbo has a trumpet on the air box, which extends the opening up past the inter cooler to the spoiler.

I am a big fan of Fabspeed and have your mufflers, tips, and X-Pipe on my 2 NA 993’s. I have your mufflers and tips on my ‘97 turbo. This particular air box cover looks like it might make some noise, but otherwise is a hot-air intake for the 993 turbo. Tell my why I am wrong, please.

If you are familiar with the 1990's Cup Series, They raced identical 911's. On one of the cars involved they chopped the airbox very similar to our design, their adjustment picked up 8 HP. When we first got our 993, we tested the same design on the dyno and we picked up 10HP. If you do not believe it, I encourage you to purchase one, If you do not like it, We will happily take it back and cover shipping.

I appreciate your words regarding the other systems you have purchased from us and I am glad you enjoy them. That being said, I am sure that through your prior purchases you have noticed how dedicated we are to our craft, and for that reason, we stand by the Carbon Airbox Cover AND its results.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

HI Its Joe Fabiani the president of Fabspeed Motorsport USA. I personally designed and engineered all of Fabspeed air-cooled and wasser-cooled systems. I owned several 993 NA cars and still have my ANDIAL built 993RS Clubsport 3.8.

Our 993 Twin Turbo systems have evolved over all the years and have been refined. My 1st system was side muffler bypass pipes with integral tips. Took a ton of weight off the rear of the car and added significant power and grunt. The car sounds like a Chris Craft boat starting up at when cold and smooths out after the warm up cycle. A great emissions legal upgrade. Infact way back in 1996/997 Dieter Inzenhofer and Jeff Zwart ran Fabspeed pipes on Jeff's rare 993 TT S up Pikes Peak and set the record 24 years ago. Wow how time flies.

Later we developed the 1st modular rear X pipe with heat for these wonderful cars. Teh modular design allows both catted and non-catted performance with aerospace quick-release V band clamps. CAD designed and dyno tested. The investment cast X pipe is lost wax CAD designed and is strong light and bullet proof. AL if you want to have us inspect your used FABSPEED system simply send it to us and we will check it out and if you want to cruise down and we can install it too. Your choice my fellow Porsche friend.

On the 993 CUP airbox coverlid. I designed that after having a 964 CUP car at my facility and DE driving and Club Racing against multiple 964CUPs. Porsche Motorsport ag quotes 964 CUP airbox added +8HP on a stock engine. I adapted that design to my 3.6L 993 and later my 3.8L ANDIAL built engine and with a BMC F1 filter the Fabspeed 993 CUP airbox coverlid added +10HP versus the stock airbox coverlid and +8HP over the motorsound chrome airbox factory coverlid. It 100% works no smoke no mirrors and is a great performance value. The 3.8Liter with Fabspeed RSR headers CUP car cam and factory MAF added +12HP so for our website we only listed +10HP.

Back to 993 twin Turbos- yes the 993 na CUP CAR style coverlid will bolt-up and work. I have not dynoed it on a 993TT and I understand you guys worrying that the intercooler will obstruct the airflow. I have been told by engine builders and racers that the 993 CUP airbox installed on 993TT cars does add power and sport car sound. Heck if you want to try it let us know and if anyone with a 993TT feel free to cruise down to Fabspeed and I will give you a tour and take you to lunch.

Happy New Year to all. Aircooled forever!
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
The following users liked this post:
Blue TTop (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Yeah I feel 10hp increase in a 400hp motor. I feel more driving down a hill doing the same thing.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
AL if you want to have us inspect your used FABSPEED system simply send it to us and we will check it out and if you want to cruise down and we can install it too. Your choice my fellow Porsche friend.

I have been told by engine builders and racers that the 993 CUP airbox installed on 993TT cars does add power and sport car sound. Heck if you want to try it let us know and if anyone with a 993TT feel free to cruise down to Fabspeed and I will give you a tour and take you to lunch.

Happy New Year to all. Aircooled forever!
Hi Joe - thanks for the offer. My X pipe with the sport cats are very lightly used so no worries there, but thanks for the offer. Sorry the thread got de-railed. I've got the stock cats off and will give yours a shot and see how loud it is for my taste (which might be how I ended up with a lightly used one in the first place). I'm extremely happy with your X pipe and sport cats on my 3.8 NA 993 and hope this trips the trigger on my TT.

Regards,

The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (01-26-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 04:21 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Joe, you need cold air for max BHP on a turbo, thats why you even see race teams blanket the intercooler with ice before a start to get the air as cold as they can, if you take air from around the engine it will be a lot warmer, I understand on a N/A car it doesnt matter so much and your airbox maybe helpful, on a turbo car it will hurt power. No way it will improve power, no way on earth, ever.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:38 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Joe, you need cold air for max BHP on a turbo, thats why you even see race teams blanket the intercooler with ice before a start to get the air as cold as they can, if you take air from around the engine it will be a lot warmer, I understand on a N/A car it doesnt matter so much and your airbox maybe helpful, on a turbo car it will hurt power. No way it will improve power, no way on earth, ever.
Cutting a giant hole in the cover of the airbox improves power over the stock cover due to reduced intake restriction. No doubt about it. It's dyno proven and also done by the factory race team for a sensible reason.

On a track car, power is important when moving. At 40mph let alone 100 or 200mph, any air in the engine bay is pretty close to ambient. Tons of air rushing past that engine bay at that speed. Heat soak is not an issue.

For all you road car/traffic light warriors, the open airbox cover probably is not such a great idea. Sitting at a stop light for 3 min means engine bay air temps are super high and heat soak is an issue. When you floor it to race that Honda Civic, performance suffers with an open airbox cover due to hot engine bay intake air temps.

I've built elaborate air boxes for numerous cars until I more recently measured underhood temperatures at speed. Engine bay temps in most cars is very close to ambient at speed. All of my cars now run open pod style filters underhood/undertrunklid. I'm not a drag racer and traffic light performance against Hector's turbo civic is not a concern to me.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:44 PM
jac911
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fabspeed muffler bypass

I bought a 96 TT and it came with a Fabspeed exahust with the muffler bypass option. It seems that the local men in blue aren't fans of Porsches, especially loud Porsches. Because of their "prompting", I installed the factory mufflers.

If anyone has 993 TT with a Fabspeed that is interested in acquiring the muffler bypass option, PM me. Maybe we can work out something.. I know, I know...this is a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

JC 96 TT
Old 01-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 679 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Hi Joe - thanks for the offer. My X pipe with the sport cats are very lightly used so no worries there, but thanks for the offer. Sorry the thread got de-railed. I've got the stock cats off and will give yours a shot and see how loud it is for my taste (which might be how I ended up with a lightly used one in the first place). I'm extremely happy with your X pipe and sport cats on my 3.8 NA 993 and hope this trips the trigger on my TT.

Regards,

Cemoto,

Can't wait to hear what you think. We can only judge our success in the eyes of our customers, so we appreciate your kind words. If there is anything you need, feel free to reach out via PM or email Sales@Fabspeed.com.
Make sure you follow up on the thread to share your experience!

Cheers, John S

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Here Installed the F--Speed X Pipe and Sport Cats on their TT?