Sponsored by:

GHL Muffler Bypass Pipes Rock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up GHL Muffler Bypass Pipes Rock!!!

I just replaced my RSR mufflers with the GHL muffler bypass pipes, and Holy Schmoly! This is one awesome upgrade! Thank you, Mike W, for pointing me in the right direction.

The sound at idle is very similar in tonal quality to the RSR's, but maybe 30% louder with a slightly deeper, even more burbly sound. Very pleasant, even to my wife's ears. It reminds her of the Fast by Ferraci pipes on my Ducati, but not quite that loud. She does not think it will bother the neighbors.

On WOT at about 5,000+ rpm, the sound is completely different than before. It literally screams. This was probably the biggest surprise to me, since I expected the turbos to muffle the sound more at full boost. I did not notice any appreciable resonance, even in the 2-3K range.

Call it my imagination, but the turbos spool up noticeably quicker. Buttometer suggests quicker acceleration. And, I'm not kidding - the car handles significantly better. I never realized how much better balanced the car would be without 50-60 lbs of unnecessary ballast at the rearmost portion of the car. The mufflers are truly the perfect items to remove on our cars to improve weight distribution.

Finally, the fit and finish of the pipes is top-notch. Kudos to Brian Gerber and the team at GHL for a first-rate upgrade for our cars. I fell in love all over again today.

Now, if it would just warm up so I could mount the P-Zero C's!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm using the Fabspeed straight pipes and know what you mean, Anir. I just had them reinstalled after a year with RSRs (purchased originally for the neighbors...what a nice guy I am). But, heck, no one is complaining and I agree about the turbos spooling up quicker.

You'll find that you are shifting up less frequently. FUN!

Have a great weekend!

Bill
Old 03-13-2004, 11:21 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Anir can you shoot some pics? I've never seen anything other than the Fabspeeds. I just added to the rear weight bias this weekend by removing weight from the front. I shed 13 lbs by switching batteries(to Odyssey 925MJT). I was going to relocate the battery to the middle, right in front of the gas tank, but due to having to cut parts I opted for the easy route and just mounted it in the original location.
Now I think I really need to drop some weight off the rear. Thanks for the eval.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Nathalie's mother took our digital camera on vacation. There's really not much to show in a pic anyhow - just a gently curved, maybe 8-10" polished steel pipe leading directly from the cat outlet to the factory tip. Couldn't be simpler.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:39 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anir,

Thanks for the update. Mine might be here this week. Saw Bill P. at Crystal Cove yesterday and got to hear hi Fabspeeds. Sounded great. Love that silver!!!!!!

Crystal Cove was packed!!! A few 993 Turbo's. 3 S's, GT3's and a bunch of 996 Turbo's and NA cars.
(A bit too modded for my tastes.)

My son Andrew
Old 03-14-2004, 02:43 PM
mb97tts
Racer

A few more pics to follow......
Old 03-14-2004, 02:44 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Ferrari 250 SWB.. Pristine and ready for the track!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:49 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Another of the 250. Anir sorry to throw these in your GHL topic. These are only 3 degrees of seperation from your GHL's, Through Bill P's Fabspeeds and My S!!!! lol lol
Old 03-14-2004, 02:51 PM
mb97tts
Racer

An original Batmobile!!! No GHL's though!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:54 PM
mb97tts
Racer

A few people showed up..
Old 03-14-2004, 02:55 PM
mb97tts
Racer

And last but not least a few our 996 brothers.......
Old 03-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mb97tts
Another of the 250. Anir sorry to throw these in your GHL topic.
No problem! The 250 SWB is my favorite car of all time - perhaps a tie with the Cisitalia 202. Your TTS ain't bad, either, and Andrew looks like a fine young man.

Here's one for you. I wanted to buy this 202 from Australia, but felt too guilty about the $150K asking price on a car that would need all parts fabricated from scratch.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:22 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Anir,
I recently bought a 1991 965 Turbo and would be looking for the same kinda setup.Anyway glad to hear you like yours.
Btw do you know of any one local ( lexington ) that's familiar with our cars or do you go to Cincy ? I'm in Elizabethtown and we met last year at a Derm seminar,remember me ?
Later, Yasir
Old 03-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Yasir,

Yes, Dr. Saifullah, I do remember you - equally unusual name and similar taste in cars. Congratulations on the Turbo.

I tend to do most routine maintenance myself - mostly due to a lack of trustworthy local alternatives. For major stuff, I use John Wright in Cinci (513-735-2300, wrighttuning@fuse.net ). He used to run Larry Schumacher's Porsche racing efforts before opening his own place. His shop is primarily dedicated to race cars (he manages the Schuitemaker / Zacharias 350Z racing effort in Grand Am Cup), but he does work on a limited number of street cars. Unfortunately, you often have to wait a bit longer than usual during the racing season, because everyone is out-of-town at some race.

Locally, I've been pretty pleased with the body work available at South Broadway Collision Center. Ask for Dan.

How about those Cats!?

Last edited by Anir; 03-14-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:51 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes thats me.I'm really surprised that you are happy with South Broadway auto collision as they messed up my Supra TT.The quarter panel has all the sand marks and even the color didn't match.I had the work done by the previous owner " Steve Robinson" and he has since sold the buisness to Dan.I did talk to dan about it too but he wasn't courteous enough to look into my problems.Anyway i have a law suit against them lets see what happens.
As far as the car goes,well it has the B&B headers,cat bypass and an exhaust but i find it slightly loud for my taste so i might just swap out the whole thing.
Anir,once the weather gets better we have to get together,would love to get a ride in your car.Sorry i missed the seminar yesterday,o well.
Later, Yasir

Quick Reply: GHL Muffler Bypass Pipes Rock!!!