Sponsored by:

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering

This is my first post regarding a technical question, so please bear with me if I am asking something stupid.

By way of background, I have noticed that my steering wheel is a little harder to turn than I would expect it to be. In fact I doubt my wife could turn the wheel backing out of the garage without two hands. Granted, I understand at the higherspeeds you want this and that's why the steering is designed to be eaiser at low speeds and harder at higher speeds. Also, I hear no "squeals" while turning.

My car had the slave cylinder and possibly the accumulator replaced when it failed in the PPI (about 3 weeks ago). I am aware that the clutch (hydraulic assisted) also shares in the hydraulic system.

So my questions are:

1) How hard should the wheel be to turn? Easily with one hand? Very little effort with 2?

2) Does it sound like a problem with the repair work that was done - i.e perhaps air is in the system and needs bleeding, needs more fluid because of "settling", etc.?

3) While I can still drive like this until I have time to look at it, an overiding concern is that the clutch will fail to engare. Does this seem like a possibility?

4) what is the relationship between the two reservoir in the front and back compartments. I understand they are no linked Right?

5) Is this a symtom of the dreaded "problematic steering rack"?

Any other advice you have I would appreciate.

In the meantime I bought the p/s fluid recommended in the owners manual (Pentosin CHF 11S) - Havn't checked the levels yet (please don't flame me as I know this is probably the obvious answer to my question)

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Tim
Old 02-20-2004, 11:11 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

tim,

The power steering should be very easy to turn, even at low or no speed.. Generally if you do need fluid, that means the fluid went somewhere. This can mean a number of things including a steering rack issue or just a hose that is leaking. Check your fluid first, and then we can discuss next options.

The reservoir up front is for the clutch, the one in back does the rest.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:30 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

Viporbob,

Thanks for the reply. I did not need any fluid in the engine compartment and topped of the front reservoir as it was between the lines. (The car was warmed up before checking levels.)

Also, the owner's manual said to depress the clutch pedal several times before checking the fluid level to depressurize the system, which I did. However, I did not notice any change in how the clutch pedal felt.

The tire pressure seems to be okay, so my next step may be to take it in to a mechanic for a diagnosis. I need to start a relationship, so maybe it's just as well.

Any tips you or others have to offer are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim
Old 02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

Viperbob, any thoughts since I confirmed the fluid level was okay?

Quick Reply: Power Steering