K16 Exhaust Housing onto K24 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
mjims
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K16 Exhaust Housing onto K24 Turbo

Hi Guys,

Been absolutely facinated by the subjects you guys get into on here. I have managed to find a discussion on just about everything I have had any queries about with my 993TT.

I have been 'tweeking' my 993TT for 6 Months now and I've just droped the Engine etc to allow the install of a LWF and K24 Turbos.

I have managed to aquire a pair of 'Brand New' 996 K24 Turbos and as Kevin quotes these cannot be fitted to the 993TT. Couldn't see it at first but as you say 'Kevin's the man and when I finally got the old K16's out there is definately a difference between the Exhaust Housing Studs which wont allow them to be fitted to either the Manifold or the exhausts.

The K16's and New K24's Appear to be copletely interchangable and identical except fo the exhaust port diameter and turbine diameter (Larger on the K24 ..Doh Obviously!!)

So my question is, can I mill out the K16 exhaust Housing to fit the larger K24 Exhaust Turbine ? Would the smaller diameter exhaust port 'strangle' the efficency of the Larger K24 Exhaust Turbine?

Would this modification be what they mean by a K16/K24 or GT1 Hybrid?

Once I have it all running again I will get the ECU programmed to suit.

Thanks again for all your help, This is just the most fun I've ever had with a car!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Jim;

You have spent to much money to try to get to the perfect GT1 hybrid! Sell the 996TT K24's and recoup your $$$. Do the conversion on your K16's! No you can't modify the turbine housings, incorrect A/R, and you will be dialing to much lag into the morph hybrid. To have a true GT1 hybrid you need the SMALLER turbine wheel out of the K16! Again, GT1 hybrid, starts with the K16 frame, turbine housing and turbine wheel. Now if you have boat loads of money to waste. You can use your 4 turbo's that you have and make the "perfect" GT1 by using your K16 turbine housing and turbine wheel. You will have to RE-BALANCE the rotating assy! Like I said, just sell the K24's' and re-do the K16's... Email me if you need some help..
Old 02-20-2004, 12:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kevin is "The Man"

Have you thought of changing your last name to Turbo? It would be a lot easier to spell....
Old 02-20-2004, 05:36 PM
mjims
Instructor

Thanks Kevin, or is that Mr K Turbo?

I thought that would be the case.

Now I've had time to reflect on the implications, I will indeed sell these New 996 Turbos. I will place them in the classifieds to other rennlisters for first refusal, failing that - ebay I suppose, Unless you would be interested in doing a deal on a set for a 993?

One thing that I have noticed whilst inspecting the differences between the K16 & K24, is that the exhaust manifold on the 993TT has a final output diameter (At the flange) equal to the K16. Does placing a Larger K24 suffer from the mis-match in pipe width?

Would it be worth modifing the Manifolds whilst there off the car, basically making the final collector section match the K24 Housing? or is it not worth the hassle?

Thanks

Jim

Quick Reply: K16 Exhaust Housing onto K24 Turbo