Sponsored by:

ignorant consumer needs counsel from competent enthusiast, pleaes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts
Default ignorant consumer needs counsel from competent enthusiast, pleaes

So I bought some LMs for my 993TT, and discovered during the process that I needed spacers for the rears. As usual, I ordered the wrong kind, because well, that's what I do, and there's really no other way to DIY and cost double what a service tech would cost, unless you f@cK! it up the first time around. If I am competent, I am competent (and consistent) when it comes to f@cking things up the first time.

I thought I was getting bolt-on (DRM series H&R 15mm) spacers. What I got were DRS series, that require replacement of the factory studs. It doesn't appear that a 15mm spacer is available in a bolt-on (adapter-style) config.

My question...

Does anyone know for certain what needs to come off the car in order to replace the factory studs with new studs that are +15mm to stock? From my research it appears that it "may" be possible by removing rotor and park brake mechanism. Just looking for info from smart people. thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get 22mm bolt on spacers that have bolts on them or reverse mount the rear lm’s (look up reverse mount lm’s, there’s a few theads on to on the 993 forum - although I’ve done both and went back to using spacers...) much simpler and you won’t need to replace the studs again to put proper offset wheels on (unless you go to nuts, which is ok too).
Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Just get 22mm bolt on spacers that have bolts on them or reverse mount the rear lm’s (look up reverse mount lm’s, there’s a few theads on to on the 993 forum - although I’ve done both and went back to using spacers...) much simpler and you won’t need to replace the studs again to put proper offset wheels on (unless you go to nuts, which is ok too).
Thank you
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
So I bought some LMs for my 993TT, and discovered during the process that I needed spacers for the rears. As usual, I ordered the wrong kind, because well, that's what I do, and there's really no other way to DIY and cost double what a service tech would cost, unless you f@cK! it up the first time around. If I am competent, I am competent (and consistent) when it comes to f@cking things up the first time.

I thought I was getting bolt-on (DRM series H&R 15mm) spacers. What I got were DRS series, that require replacement of the factory studs. It doesn't appear that a 15mm spacer is available in a bolt-on (adapter-style) config.

My question...

Does anyone know for certain what needs to come off the car in order to replace the factory studs with new studs that are +15mm to stock? From my research it appears that it "may" be possible by removing rotor and park brake mechanism. Just looking for info from smart people. thanks in advance.

I installed larger studs front and back. You can do the rear ones by removing the whole brake assembly, including the E-Brake assembly, and E-Brake linkage. But you do not have to remove the hub or anything. Actually, very straight forward but time consuming.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Time value

As one who practices a variation of the carpenter proverb “measure twice cut once,” I realize time has a value. My variation is measure once cut two times then throw out wasted material and cut once more. ... Get 22mm spacers - will look a bit more aggressive as a bonus. Try to sell the 15s and consider the slight loss on sale well worth the time you save not removing rear brakes.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
As one who practices a variation of the carpenter proverb “measure twice cut once,” I realize time has a value. My variation is measure once cut two times then throw out wasted material and cut once more. ... Get 22mm spacers - will look a bit more aggressive as a bonus. Try to sell the 15s and consider the slight loss on sale well worth the time you save not removing rear brakes.
That's what I will do. Fortunately the vendor has offered to take the 15s back without a restocking fee.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:30 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Lenny Jr will make you what you need, Bolt on with low Profile lugs, $60-$70 a piece, my guess?
Messing with studs etc could be a PIA later if you go back to stock.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l-spacers.html

775 351 1000

Ask for RL discount?

Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

I will post this for feedback in the NA forum as well, but knowing what I am getting myself into here, I would like feedback about the stance. Fire away please...

Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice. You nailed it.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:00 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I’m late to the party but I use Porsche one bolt on spacers for rsgt wheels. Works great
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rcg412
I’m late to the party but I use Porsche one bolt on spacers for rsgt wheels. Works great
Not sure I understand. Please explain

Quick Reply: ignorant consumer needs counsel from competent enthusiast, pleaes