Just got my 993TT (YAHOO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
KatyTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my 993TT (YAHOO)

Just got my 993TT delivered on Friday.

I've been reading posts for the last month from various owners who have said things like "go-cart feel", "jet like cockpit", "unbelieveable acceleration", etc. Well now I finally get it.

I've been waiting for the license plates (county not open on weekends) so I have been a little incognito for fear of getting a ticket. I swear going 110 feels like about 70. What has really amazed me is the looks and attention (not to mention acceleration) . It's almost embarrassing. When I got the safety inspection done at the local shop, everyone dropped what they were doing to check out the car. My daughter wanted to go thru the drive-thru at McDonalds. I think there were 4 or 5 teenage boys helping get the order ready at the cash window.

The car itself is immaculate. I "intervened" on an Ebay auction and grabbed it for $64,000. The PPI revealed 1 - 2% on the leakdown, which I was very happy to hear. The only problem was a leaky slave cylinder which I had fixed. The PO put 1,000 miles and $13,000 into it over the last year and a half. It has 25,000 miles. It had a new LWF put in, swaybar, new S03's, new wheels and tires, ...

I might upgrade the stereo, but that's probably it (for now).

I only have one key and and remote, which is causing a little stress until I get duplicates. I did buy a new and spare battery for the remote (Thanks Rennlist for that little tip!!!) .

Just have one question. The dipstick shows that the oil level is adequate (1/2 way b/t the marks) yet the oil level gauge is in the "red" (while engine shut off). Is a faulty gauge common. The pressure appears to be good. Should I worry so long as I check the oil level frequently? How much oil should I expect to add every so many miles?

Oh, one more question. I thought I heard fans come on 5 minutes after I had pulled the car in and shut off the ignition. Is this to cool the turbos? I had let the car idle for two minutes before shutting it down as per a previous post I read.

On a personal note, I wish my wife was a little more supportive. Our deal is that for every dollar I spent, I have to match to the kids UGMA's! I have already offered to fly her and a friend to NC for some furniture shopping. Hope that does the trick. Hell, I even agreed to having that 5th kid she wants.

I have been a car nut since I took 2 years of auto mecahnics in high school and totally rebuilt my 1969 firebird. You'd think the subscriptions to road & track, motortrend and car & driver would have tipped her off. Perhaps the 1973 BMW bavaria I drove in Biz school, which we attended together, would have clued her in. Tips in this department are welcome as well.

Best Regards,

Tim
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Default Enjoy in good health

Originally posted by KatyTX
Just got my 993TT delivered on Friday.
Just have one question. The dipstick shows that the oil level is adequate (1/2 way b/t the marks) yet the oil level gauge is in the "red" (while engine shut off). Is a faulty gauge common. The pressure appears to be good. Should I worry so long as I check the oil level frequently? How much oil should I expect to add every so many miles?

Oh, one more question. I thought I heard fans come on 5 minutes after I had pulled the car in and shut off the ignition. Is this to cool the turbos? I had let the car idle for two minutes before shutting it down as per a previous post I read.
Best Regards,
Tim
Tim,

The oil gauge is supposed to work only when the car is at level ground and idling for a couple of minutes assuming that this is the end of a drive with car fully warmed up. The dipstick should show about half way between the marks when the car is in this state. You wrote that your engine was shut off. In this state, the gauge will be in the red. It will also be in the red when the car is in motion.

It is normal for the fans to come on. Just be sure that they do eventually switch off. They cycle on and off for some time.

Indeed it is a good idea to let the TT idle for 2 minutes before switching off.

All the best with the car. Enjoy in good health.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Tim I had the same issue with mine
But I realized like Ran said, the car has to be level
and running then the gauge seems to work, also a good
time to check it on the stick.
Beautiful Car what kind of wheels are those. Love em
By the way Garland won that game.
96 or 97? Great price you got, either way!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:10 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome!!! Congrats. She looks soooooo good in that pic.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:44 AM
noony
Racer

Congrats, that's a beauty.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Tim, congrats on a beautiful car. I have gotten to the point I just check the oil with the dipstick after each drive and don't pay any attention to the gauge. It has to be on the full side on mine to register and everyone recommends not filling to the top of the dipstick.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Absolutely gorgeous car, Tim! Are those Roock wheels? It could be lowered a bit. More pics!!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:24 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations Tim. 993TTs are sick beautiful. Yours if gorgeous.

If you ever see an Aventurine Green 993 on I-10 it's probably me.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, I love those rims... *drool*

Ok guys, how long before Tim starts down the slipperly slope?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:43 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like gemballa competitions?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:53 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,
Congrats...she looks fantastic.
OG has already covered the oil gauge question...my oil level gauge requires the car to be on a perfect level in order to show the correct reading...so level in fact NASA could use this as a benchmark for any measuring tools that require calibration.
I have given up on the oil level gauge and now just rely on the dipstick.

Regards...and happy driving

- james
Old 02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Were you on the A team?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 PM
nman413
Drifting

man, that's so nice.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:52 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Tim,
Nice job!! Saw that come and go on Ebay, glad it went to someone here. Makes me Love black. Nice shot.

Rich
Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM
JasonW
Instructor

Congrats Tim! Beatiful car!!

Ever need a co-pilot, I'm over in Clear Lake... don't hesitate... ;-)

Jason-

Quick Reply: Just got my 993TT (YAHOO)