Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low idle when A/C engaged. How do I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low idle when A/C engaged. How do I fix?

Hello guys, wondering if anyone can shed some light.
My car's ECU doesn't seem to increase rpm's when a/c is on, so usually wallows around 400 rpms when at stop light. It's never stalled, but how do I test and correct this? If I turn off a/c then it goes to where it suppose to be. weird.

thanx in advance

Jaime
Old 07-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you had the battery disconnected? might be ecu just needs to relearn load from ecu. ISV (idle stabilization valve) been adjusted? Idle otherwise normal? If your ISV's been adjusted the epoxy in the screws on the end of it would be missing. Or maybe sticky and needs a clean?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:34 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Basal, been a long time! Thanks for chiming in. I'll disconnect battery over night, then reconnect and let idle for 10min. However, in previous years I did exactly this "relearn" when I changed out the engine wiring to new wiring (remember I had gasoline hydralock from an energized fuel injector after I washed the engine compartment-Porsche's wiring loom was at fault, and there is/was a tsb for this repair in the 993). Anyway, I'll try it again, easy enough.

If it doesn't change, can you describe how to go about adjusting idle stabilization valve? thanx in advance

Jaime

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 07-27-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Jamie
If it was idling ok before with the ac on, I'd probably just try to clean the isv to see if that makes it 'respond' better. Just take it off and shoot a bunch of wd-40 or something similar into the opening, and rock it back and forth.

If you need to adjust the isv, from memory, if you want to change the baseline idle, you need to use a small screwdriver to remove the epoxy in the ?3screw holes on the end of the isv that holds the valve in relation to the metal body. Mark where it is in relation to the body, (so that you know where you started) loosen the ?3 screws, then turn the inner part (that has the valve) a few degrees one way or the other in relation to the metal body (can't remember if it's clockwise to increase rpm and vice versa). The ecu seems to 'learn' again though and tends to change the rpm back closer to where you started.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:59 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you confirmed that your ECU is seeing the compressor switch telling it to increase the idle speed? (pin 40)

Quick Reply: Low idle when A/C engaged. How do I fix?