Sponsored by:

Itchy Left Foot!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 05:31 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Itchy Left Foot!

My car has been out of commission for many weeks now ever since ViperBob discovered my overcooked turbos during the 30k service and I am beginning to experience adrenaline withdrawal syndrome. I look enviously out the window of my 97 Suburban at the passing p-cars I see. When I stab the go pedal, the only thing that goes is a few gallons of 89 octane.

However, it looks like I may get the turbos back from Kevin soon so Bob can begin the process of getting everything back together.

The good news is that we are taking advantage of the opportunity to upgrade the turbo's to k16/k24 hybrids. Bob will be installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to feed sufficient gas for the higher boost level (1.0 vs. 0.8). Bob says this should be good for an additional 40hp. Plus, it sets me up for more with a revised ecu down the road!

Now I know how you guys back east feel when you have to put your car to bed for the winter.

Hal
Old 01-12-2004, 06:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Hal I know how you feel Man!! I drive my truck up to
our condo for some R&R in the mountains and I want
to pass somebody and I push the pedal on the 300hp
F150 and nogo!! it takes milliseconds to get going and then
forever to actually make the pass. Sheesh Only if I was in the TT!!
Sheesh. I feel for the guys back east!!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:27 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

OG,

I have had this recurring dream. I am in a really low sports car, I think it is a Ferrari Testarossa, I step on the gas to pass a truck and get instantaneous acceleration that presses you back into your seat like an amusement park ride. Then I wake up and remember the TT down in the garage. Life is good, but with ViperBob on the job, it is getting better. He says that life begins at 600hp, I guess we will just have to try and join him there in the promised land!

Hal
Old 01-12-2004, 07:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

My first package from ViperBob just arrived! I am on the slope!!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not so fast - some of us do DRIVE!

"hal m" and "OldGuy",

...don't feel bad for all of us. I actually drive much more in winter. Only snow, salt or ice (10 to 40 days a year) prevents the turbo from being let out of the garage. I have lived in Boston and conditions are a bit worse there due partly to the added snow but mostly to the fact that by the time the salt disappears one gets ready for another bout of snow. However as for NYC and points below, I think one can, if determined, enjoy the TT year round.

All that said, based on what I have observed, I have to agree that the majority of 993TT or 993 owners in this area too drive mostly only in summer, IF AT ALL. Personally though, I find that not only do I drive less in summer but I drive very little in July and August when it is terribly hot and humid (partly because I might go somewhere cooler but also because road conditions are very bad). People take to the roads much more often even on weekends in summer. Summer also sees all the Porsches coming out to sit in traffic on their way to concours events while the valve guides are being nicely stewed. Of course, from a cosmetic point of view, these cars look the best.

Several coats of wax before the onset of winter help when it comes time to wash off the dead bug blood on the front bumpers and rear view mirrors, black dust on the rear fenders and brake dust on wheels.

So, fret not: Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

itchy left foot!

I have an itchy right foot when driving my tt but you may have an itchy left foot because your suburban has no clutch.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:57 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Ran,

I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in Monmouth county for four years in the mid 80's, so I know what you mean. Since I moved to sunny CA in 88, you guys have had it easy on the snow, but last year was kind of like the good old days of bad winters for you. At least global warming lets you drive your car more before we kill ourselves!

The only thing you can't wax is the bottom which takes the worst beating from the salt.

Autobahn, you are right and I can scratch my left foot all I want because there is nothing else to do with it except stick it out the window!

Hal

Quick Reply: Itchy Left Foot!