Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a tt - any thoughts about it's history?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:24 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a tt - any thoughts about it's history?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2451828327

It has been run in 2 road races. Anyone know this car? It looks pretty good to me, my concern is will that type of use significantly shorten the life of the engine or other key components?

I've asked the guy a lot of questions already, but fire away if you have any particular concerns.

If anyone could take a look at it for me....

Thanks.

(I'll also post on 993 board)
Old 01-07-2004, 12:54 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing that would bother me about the car being run in two open-road races would be if it didn't have any extra oil cooling. If not, those events could be fairly life-shortening. I'm also troubled by the claim that the "S" exhaust system adds 24 hp. Not true. The "S" got its extra hp via a changed ECU... I believe the 4-tip exhaust is purely cosmetic.

Changed springs and stock shocks? Those stock shocks will probably need to changed out in the not-so-distant future (I struggled with my stock shocks for 60,000 miles). All the extra safety gear is a real plus if you plan on competing in the car.

Bottom line... oil coolers?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:54 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Given that the Silver State Classic is basically a road rally at high speeds, I would not expect any great wear on the engine from that. Also, even without extra cooling I would think the car would run pretty cool in those conditions as you have 180 mph air speed to cool the car.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:20 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has or will any TT owner ever wear out his car?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:41 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

I was planning to look at this car yesterday, it's about an hour from me...I am going to make arrangements to see it on Friday...I will post my findings.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve is right about the Turbo S exhaust. I wouldn't worry about the 2 road races without having an additional oil cooler. Remember these cars were built to be driven on the Autobahn.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:54 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What did the owner say about how the cage (or was it a roll bar) was attached? This usually requires drilling holes in the car for a bolt in attachment.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default White TT

Yes, I know the car and I know the owner very well. The man's name is Kurt. I would not hesitate to negotiate a deal with Kurt. Be assured he is **** about maintainence. Other questions? Mail me @ rolandroth@mac.com!

Cheers,

R
Old 01-10-2004, 02:00 AM
FineProperty
Instructor

Roland in the post above is an excellent contact for this car. As is my local Porsche mechanic that is familiar with the car, as he is the one that installed the exhause on the car at delivery.

I made it to the city to meet the owner, and drive the car. The owner is indeed meticulous, and a bonafide car nut. Very clean, though it could definitely use a detail and coat of wax. Not much in the way of road rash on the front like you would expect from a car that came in second in class in the Silver State race at speeds OVER 195. I saw the documented 193mph certificate on his wall.

The extra parts...wow...a set of Race Recaro's and the p-car mounting brackets...extra set of wheels and race tread, a full custom Roll cage. This item is awesome, it was designed unlike the others that have exposed bolt marks inside the car. The rear area by the seats where it bolts in, the owner has a set of stock panels installed, and a modified set of side panels for installation of the roll cage. Also, the side bars were custom so the factory Nokia upgraded sound system remains in place.

The seller...hasn't taught DE events in this car...though he is a teacher. He has taken it around the Vegas track. I mentioned no road rash, but the headlights do have some pitting, I have seen this on about every 993 I've seen.

Drove it. Car drove straight, and VERY quick. The exhaust is raspy (read sultry). Interior is very very clean, the seats have not been in the car for the 20k miles...they are the sport seats. No vibration at speed, and I saw well into triple digits as passenger and driver. Steering wheel was not centered, but there was no pull to either side, just an adjustment I think.

The clear stone guards in front of the rear wheels had no signs of yellowing. Front trunk (the trunk) was clean, 6 disk changer, spare and compressor it.

White was not even on my radar, but this thing is beautiful. Ok...993TT's are beautiful.

I saw one minor scuff on one rim, brakes are original, but has new pads. No discoloration of the rotors. Engine is stock and looks great, no oil leak from where it was parked all day. No door dings that I saw.

There is a site with additional photos...I'll remember to post it tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:37 AM
FineProperty
Instructor

Also, the graphics aren't on the car.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:26 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you 'FineProperty' and 'Ruf-Racer' for the information. I have been considering this car.

'stedge' I will send you a private e-mail.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:20 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

993993enth

Sorry my mail box has been full. I have emtied it, o you can email at poste002@mc.duke.edu

Thanks.

And, Fine - thanks!!
Old 01-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That baby is now G O N E ! New owner is a real N U T!
Old 01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Originally posted by Ruf-Racer
That baby is now G O N E ! New owner is a real N U T!
Roland, is that NUT you??

Quick Reply: looking at a tt - any thoughts about it's history?...