CA smog check went smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:05 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA smog check went smoothly

Today, I was successful at registering my out of state 993TT under my name. Last night while gathering all the paperwork - bill of sale, title, DMV out-of-state-transfer form etc, it suddenly dawned on me that I completely forgot to get a smog check(call it selective denial or maybe it was all the holiday stuff that wiped my memory). My appt at the DMV was for 8:50am and I suddenly became paranoid for any possible unique issues that needed to be considered when smogging a 993TT. So while checking some earlier posts on the subj I came across a few saying that they run dynos for smog checks now(where the hell have I been the past couple of years?) and for TT's you might need to go to a place that can accommodate AWD. "Doh!", I thought to myself at 2am, as I knew I was running out of time. Anyways, to make a long story short, I decided to just wing it at my local Arco station this morning. Upon my arrival, there was this small little dinky dyno recessed in the shop floor. When the guy came out, he says they do a ton of Porsches - 911s, Boxsters and Cayennes. Cayennes?! But they're AWD. It turns out if you have AWD/4WD they run the smog checks like they used to. The guy who worked on my car was very familiar with the 911 and was very careful. Maybe it was because I shadowed his EVERY move. Anyways, I was please to find that this person was detailed and very courteous and knew how important this car was to me. I'd completely vouch for this place. Its located in Mountain View on the corner of San Antonio and Charleston(and no I have no affiliation other than a good experience).

Cheers
Old 01-07-2004, 02:11 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Mike. Smoggin always seems to be a tramatic experience..

How have you been enjoying that beauty. After I saw your car, it inspired me to spend some time working on my exterior. It was a pain, but it is looking good....

Take care..
Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey bob, now you're car is a beauty AND a beast

I've only driven my car twice and so far its been amazing. It's been quite awhile since I've driven a car that has really gotten my heart beating from sheer thrill. I'm hoping after one more week-long business trip I can finally work on polishing her up and taking her for the first real cruise.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:15 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

I have had good experiences with the Chevron station on Main Street and First in Los Altos. I was there for about 10 minutes when I bought my car in March. I have used them for my prior p-cars as well with good results. Jeff at Reitmeir's across the street uses and recommends this place, that is how I wound up there.

Hal
Old 01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
edrewitz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just smogged mine the other day with no issues too. I would be interested to hear from anyone else in CA with some mods who's willing to share their experiences. This might make a difference for me on what upgrades I'll want. Will it pass with a modified chip. How about catbypasses if they dont see them etc... Thanks

Eric

Quick Reply: CA smog check went smoothly